Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 04-07-23, 22:31   #1
Mr. Mr.

Default Cradle of Life is Underrated

Whenever the subject of TR movies comes up, a lot of fans praise the first but trash the second, and there's the whole controversy about how the movie supposedly bombed because of the critical panning of AOD, making it much easier for people to dismiss the movie outright.

But outside of the third act that gets a little long in the tooth, this is just as fun as the first movie. Lara's snarky and sexy as ever, and there are some inspired action set pieces. I didn't even mind the sexual tension with Terry. Plus it had a better orchestral score than the first, thanks to Alan Silvestri. (the first movie easily wins in terms of licensed tracks, though)

It's high time this movie got some love. Anyone with me?
Mr. Mr. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-23, 03:02   #2
mizuno_suisei

I'm with you! Both movies are pretty great in my opinion. Great as movies for everyone to watch? Maybe not. Great as TR films? You bet!
mizuno_suisei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-23, 03:49   #3
HarleyCroft

I like how it ended with the revelation Bryce and Hillary were in love all along and they finally gathered the courage to get married ♡
Maybe being taken hostage made them realize life is short
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-23, 07:36   #4
PinkyPromise

I hate the movie. For me it is the worst TR movie of the three.

1. It's a James Bond movie, not a Tomb Raider movie
2. It has practically no Tombs, it's all boring and ugly urban environments. Lara in a mall? Oh really?
3. Lara's outfits are horrible and very little Lara Croft
4. Many countries, many trips, but all wasted. The final part in Africa is horrible.
5. Lara can kill armies of muscled mercenaries but... In the finale, she is defeated by Reiss, a fifty-year-old man without any physical form, to be rescued by Terry.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-23, 07:52   #5
Heckler

I suppose the reception in 2003 had something to do with it but if I'm not mistaken the director was following orders from Eidos while they were rushing AOD.
I think the movie was a mess because it's the result of corporate giving creative input. I doubt industry masterminds like Jan de Bont and Alan Silvestri are proud of it.
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-23, 05:46   #6
xavecroft

i liked the movie reminds me parts of tr5 with that of von croy industries , i read that in the novel of the movie theres references to aod , that lara was still dealing what happened with praga and paris
so this movie is post aod maybe they were trying to make the aod continuation in the next movie

i was a very realistic movie and liked the part of africa
xavecroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-23, 07:42   #7
Ellioft

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavecroft View Post
i liked the movie reminds me parts of tr5 with that of von croy industries , i read that in the novel of the movie theres references to aod , that lara was still dealing what happened with praga and paris
so this movie is post aod maybe they were trying to make the aod continuation in the next movie

i was a very realistic movie and liked the part of africa
Nope on the novel it's only fluff, Dave Stern the writter told me that they have to do that on the first one to keep the novel more complete.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-23, 10:45   #8
Chamayoo

I had a good time watching this movie. I can understand the criticism about not enough tomb raiding and too much like James Bond though. I thought they did a good job showing the kinder side of this iteration of Lara and adding a new layer of personality compared to the first one.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-23, 12:37   #9
perryloo

I preferred the first as it was most like the Tomb Raider games.

Sorry, but the second to me was like a poor sequel.

I do have both on DVD. Watch the first more than the second.
perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-23, 13:08   #10
Jathom95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
I suppose the reception in 2003 had something to do with it but if I'm not mistaken the director was following orders from Eidos while they were rushing AOD.
I think the movie was a mess because it's the result of corporate giving creative input. I doubt industry masterminds like Jan de Bont and Alan Silvestri are proud of it.
Afaik, the movie itself wasn't hampered by Eidos at all. They were speeding up development of AoD though, to be released in June instead of November so it would coincide with CoL's release.

Paramount did blame the reception on AoD's release, but most of the people watching it probably weren't gamers and just wanted a good action flick like the first.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote