Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 03-07-21, 15:55   #18701
Brendanlovesu1

so someone mentioned Lovecraft Country a few pages ago, Deadline Hollywood are reporting it's been cancelled
Brendanlovesu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 16:06   #18702
Tonyrobinson

Yup, I hope it gives her more time to throw everything she has at Tomb Raider. I think a lot of the press will now look to her next project and judge it. Hopefully this makes her put a lot of effort in.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 09:25   #18703
Grizzly Bear

Probably unpopular opinion.

I wouldn't mind if the plot is focused on Lara losing her mind and go full-revenge mode like in Shadow
Then finding peace and her humanity back in the end and realizing archeology is her life and that she wants to continue doing that (a bit like the end of Shadow, but in this it would be more meaningful because this Lara is not that into archeology yet, she hasn't studied it at University and she doesn't seem to care that much yet)
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 09:39   #18704
Em20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post

I wouldn't mind if the plot is focused on Lara losing her mind and go full-revenge mode like in Shadow
Then finding peace and her humanity back in the end and realizing archeology is her life and that she wants to continue doing that (a bit like the end of Shadow, but in this it would be more meaningful because this Lara is not that into archeology yet, she hasn't studied it at University and she doesn't seem to care that much yet)
Its a good idea, and maybe in the end she could start studying archeology and third movie she would have graduated and she would be raiding tombs for fun until a new threat emerges of course.
Em20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 10:11   #18705
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post

Depends on the reason for revenge. If it is "because daddy is dead", then definitely not.

If it is "because Ana and Trinity has been freaking manipulating me since I was a freaking child just to use my own resources for evil deed", than I am up for that. Especially if Ana and the audience are lead to believe "because daddy is dead" is the real reason, just to have Lara say "What? No! Bitch, this is because you think manipulating grieving children up to their twenties is all fun and dandy!"
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 10:59   #18706
Tonyrobinson

I think the manipulation angle could be good. I just hope Ana has a big role and they don't write her out or kill her off at the beginning.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 19:27   #18707
Soma Holiday

After seeing what Lovecraft Country's second season plans were I have a feeling this movie is going to go heavy on the colonization themes and critiquing Lara. I feel they are going to cast Smollett and at the end of the movie Lara is going to step back and let that character essentially save the day and become the actual title character of the film. Then there will be a spin off or future titles will star this new character...

At least I could see that being the turn a woke Tomb Raider film would take. I'm expecting to get flamed for this post but I just wanted to share that since I can't shake the feeling that Tomb Raider's days are nearly over since her character can't exist in a woke world.
Soma Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 19:36   #18708
Ellioft

Or maybe they go for the coopération routine wich is much better.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 20:06   #18709
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma Holiday View Post
After seeing what Lovecraft Country's second season plans were I have a feeling this movie is going to go heavy on the colonization themes and critiquing Lara. I feel they are going to cast Smollett and at the end of the movie Lara is going to step back and let that character essentially save the day and become the actual title character of the film. Then there will be a spin off or future titles will star this new character...

At least I could see that being the turn a woke Tomb Raider film would take. I'm expecting to get flamed for this post but I just wanted to share that since I can't shake the feeling that Tomb Raider's days are nearly over since her character can't exist in a woke world.
I don't see that happening. Just because a director for one thing is working on another, it doesn't mean their story ideas for one will translate to the other. Misha will most likely have been given some directives over what she should stick to re TR. We know Dallas has asked for the movie and anime to incorporate the Unified Lara/timeline for example. Lara is the star of TR, that's not changing anytime soon.

TR isn't going anywhere either, not with the film, anime, a new unified direction, which we know there's a game in the works over the next year or so. A spin off is one thing, but replacing Lara Croft? What would they do with this new character if s/he isn't going to basically be doing what Lara does? I

I'm ready for an update. Dunno about anyone else *manifests*
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 20:14   #18710
Portugalraider

Or the "Lara is just a piece of fixing things up, and the people native to the culture are also given proper things to do and due credit" like SotTR kinda did (problem being a game, you are stuck to seeing just what Lara was doing).

Or the "Lara ends up being the person to call when archaeological sites get to dangerous and the locals are clever enough to not explore without proper gear and or training" angle.

Or the "exploring of completely fictional cultures" angle.

Or any other angle that lets Lara still be a crazy adventurer in crazy archaeological adventures, but also gives the due respect to those native to one culture and has them as also a protagonist in their own story.

Or even maybe Misha Green understands that sometimes people just want escapism and as well and Tomb Raider is escapism, and will just be sure that they don't come up with a possible problematic plot. Lovecraft Country is all about colonisation and exploitation of minorities, of course the second season would also explore those themes. Doesn't mean that Tomb Raider will tackle those issues, or if it does, that it will tackle them in the same way.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote