Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 21-07-21, 21:54   #8641
TankGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
Just this franchise? It's all over the place from what I see. As soon as a female character shows some skin someone somwhere will scream "sexualisation". It's best to just ignore it. Look at Nier for example. People on the subreddit are practically seething everytime there's fanart or cosplay.

BTW this is another thing. Does anyone here think that the Tomb Raider subreddit is kinda... toxic? I mean I've seen posts there that say this place is toxic (I guess because a lot of people disagree with people that like the reboot trilogy?) but everytime I see a post about classic Lara there's always going to be someone that has something to complain about. Wether it's her curves, or how she feels unrealistic compared to reboot Lara, or how you're a boomer if you like the old gameplay better... In the past two months I saw a couple of fanart posts of Classic Lara and there someone in the comments posting "r/mendrawingwomen" as a snarky way to attack the OP. Like I don't get it, it's fanart, why not just move on instead of being weird?

But yeah, the sub being the way that it is made me look for other places where this fandom exists. I knew about this forum from before but never registered until now.

The TR subreddit is extremely biased towards the reboot, and even slightly criticising the half-assed ,copy-paste, uncharted knock-off gameplay gets you tons of downvotes and snarky comments.
Also what’s worries me is that most people in there LOVE those shootings sections and basic “rpg” abilities and praise them so much, reminds me of assassins creed/call of duty/fifa fans. They eat up anything and no valid/constructive criticism is allowed or else!!!
Even threads about classic games get hijacked by morons chiming in and saying their 2 cents only for them to never have touched any classic game, and my heart breaks everytime these clueless/casual gamers refer to the LAU trilogy as classic tomb raider…baby no.
There are a few nice people in there thought.

Last edited by TankGirl; 21-07-21 at 22:00.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-21, 22:37   #8642
Xilurm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl View Post
The TR subreddit is extremely biased towards the reboot, and even slightly criticising the half-assed ,copy-paste, uncharted knock-off gameplay gets you tons of downvotes and snarky comments.
Also what’s worries me is that most people in there LOVE those shootings sections and basic “rpg” abilities and praise them so much, reminds me of assassins creed/call of duty/fifa fans. They eat up anything and no valid/constructive criticism is allowed or else!!!
Even threads about classic games get hijacked by morons chiming in and saying their 2 cents only for them to never have touched any classic game, and my heart breaks everytime these clueless/casual gamers refer to the LAU trilogy as classic tomb raider…baby no.
There are a few nice people in there thought.
Yeah, it's kinda annoying. I posted FreakRaider's AoD 1.5 video on there with Lara's model reveal, and it got 155 upvotes while some posts with just a random screenshot of survivor Lara gets double much faster and I'm like... what? Like I haven't even played AoD and I find the look of his project amazing.
Xilurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-21, 23:05   #8643
TankGirl

Quote:
Yeah, it's kinda annoying. I posted FreakRaider's AoD 1.5 video on there with Lara's model reveal, and it got 155 upvotes while some posts with just a random screenshot of survivor Lara gets double much faster and I'm like... what? Like I haven't even played AoD and I find the look of his project amazing.
I just got downvoted on there for saying that while i love tomb raider as a whole (i do) i prefer the classics…lol the mob mentality is annoying. Also seeing the same reboot lara shot holding the bow 200 times gets stale really quick.
Old 21-07-21, 23:25   #8644
Jathom95

Quote:
I just got downvoted on there for saying that while i love tomb raider as a whole (i do) i prefer the classics…lol the mob mentality is annoying. Also seeing the same reboot lara shot holding the bow 200 times gets stale really quick.
Yeah, like I understand people start at different places and all that. But it gets annoying when people tell you stuff in particular like "Why don't you play something else then?"

Like, what am I gonna play that's on the same level as the classics? There's basically nothing with the same scale or difficulty, especially in regards to the puzzles. And god forbid that you actually like AOD in particular.

I don't even "hate" LAU or the Survivor trilogy. They're fantastic games in their own right. But they're ultimately made for a different kind of player, the ones that prefer action and a gripping story. Not bad things at all, but for a game like Tomb Raider it's just not the same for me personally.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-21, 23:33   #8645
TankGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95 View Post
Yeah, like I understand people start at different places and all that. But it gets annoying when people tell you stuff in particular like "Why don't you play something else then?"

Like, what am I gonna play that's on the same level as the classics? There's basically nothing with the same scale or difficulty, especially in regards to the puzzles. And god forbid that you actually like AOD in particular.

I don't even "hate" LAU or the Survivor trilogy. They're fantastic games in their own right. But they're ultimately made for a different kind of player, the ones that prefer action and a gripping story. Not bad things at all, but for a game like Tomb Raider it's just not the same for me personally.
I couldn’t have said it any better, there’s literally not a single modern adventure game that plays like classic tomb raider.

What worries me for TR12 is that cd will yet again try to appeal to *those* kind of players as god forbid they try to innovate their gameplay designs, plus the reboot was somewhat successful, so im excepting TR2013 but with duals and short and cd calling it a day.

I hope im wrong and they actually surprise us, but they made 6 TR games and nothing changed so i have very little hope. I just wish i was a resident evil fan, they are getting the best of both worlds.
Old 22-07-21, 00:05   #8646
Xilurm

Quote:
Yeah... I ain't gonna lie. I'm glad I joined this forum. I much prefer this kind of style (old forum type instead of instant messaging) and the fact that people here love the classics. I also used to like the like/dislike feature that's in social media but now it only seems to breed toxicity.
Old 22-07-21, 00:10   #8647
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95 View Post

Yeah that "Move on" thing is such BS, especially nowadays.

Sure there's a few TR clones...but they all came out in the PS1/PS2 Era and even then there's only really a handful. (The Mummy Video Games and Indiana Jones...and thats really it off the top of my head.)
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-21, 00:17   #8648
Xilurm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Yeah that "Move on" thing is such BS, especially nowadays.
Not to mention when someone says something like "things gotta change to stay relevant" or "change is good". Says who? And they speak about it like it's some sort of fact.

If devs make good games and people enjoy them, why do they gotta change? Fighting games have been a thing for 30+ years now, they still make 2D ones and people are loving them. People still buy FPS games in bulk. Warriors games have been pretty much the same since 2000 and they're even expanding to new franchises because they're actually getting more popular now, heck, I'm about to buy SW5 which is coming in 5 days and I'm pretty excited about it.

On the other hand, games like Assassin's Creed have changed with the last couple of titles and people are getting annoyed by that.
Old 22-07-21, 00:42   #8649
TankGirl

Quote:
Not to mention when someone says something like "things gotta change to stay relevant" or "change is good". Says who? And they speak about it like it's some sort of fact.

If devs make good games and people enjoy them, why do they gotta change? Fighting games have been a thing for 30+ years now, they still make 2D ones and people are loving them. People still buy FPS games in bulk. Warriors games have been pretty much the same since 2000 and they're even expanding to new franchises because they're actually getting more popular now, heck, I'm about to buy SW5 which is coming in 5 days and I'm pretty excited about it.

On the other hand, games like Assassin's Creed have changed with the last couple of titles and people are getting annoyed by that.
They’re so in denial lol, and the reboot fatigue and shadow low sales is exactly why cd is doing yet again another reboot, but calling it “unifying the timeline”.
1 soft reboot, 1 full reboot and we’re getting a new soft reboot. Cd just doesn’t know what to do, and if i gotta sit through another 15hs game that’s focused on storytelling I would rather see naughty dog get TR. at the very least they would give us a good story and a good lara.
Old 22-07-21, 01:05   #8650
Jathom95

Quote:
They’re so in denial lol, and the reboot fatigue and shadow low sales is exactly why cd is doing yet again another reboot, but calling it “unifying the timeline”.
1 soft reboot, 1 full reboot and we’re getting a new soft reboot. Cd just doesn’t know what to do, and if i gotta sit through another 15hs game that’s focused on storytelling I would rather see naughty dog get TR. at the very least they would give us a good story and a good lara.
I haven't really thought about that until you said it, but yeah. Crystal is now starting on their third separate generation of Tomb Raider and selling it as "unifying". Change is good when it really needs to be done. But when you strip something so much that it doesn't even remotely look like its former self, why not just create a new game at that point? The reality is that some will buy whatever the hell you put out because they just want to play with friends or stream it or whatever.

There's a reason people like consistency. It's familiar and makes it easier to "settle in" to something so to speak. It's why reboots and genre shifts in games are almost never universally praised by fans. Because not everyone is on the same page in regards to how they want to play.

But it's almost like for Tomb Raider that Crystal can't decide what they want to do with it. First, they wanted to make a streamlined version of the classics with LAU. Then they wanted to make Lara more "down to earth" and "vulnerable". Now they're once again at a crossroads where it seems like they just can't seem to move forward from what they started.

Say what you want about Core, but at least they were consistent and made gradual improvements to the formula over time. It's why the classics are still highly regarded. Even AOD still has the same skeleton more or less of 1-5, just much less refined. And they didn't have to reboot their own game not once.

Edit: And all in the span of 5 years for 1-5 for each game at that!

Last edited by Jathom95; 22-07-21 at 01:19.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote