Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 27-09-19, 19:11   #11291
johnanonymouz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post

Uncharted 4 was a little better, although having said that I don't care for them shoehorning Sam in so unnaturally.
sam is one of the most unlikable characters ive ever came across in a video game..........
johnanonymouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-19, 00:01   #11292
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Lol just end the movie already. Nobody wants this.
I would not be shocked at all if it flopped.

Converting a game that pretty much already plays like a movie into a movie, with a lead actor who simply does NOT embody the character he's supposed to be playing in any sense? It's going to flop.

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply. I'm just seeing this but I agree with a lot of your points.

As much as I love the series, I'm still a bit surprised that its as universally praised as it is. The stories are entertaining but they also play off of a lot of action movie tropes. Nothing about the plot is ever really surprising. Whenever people say Uncharted has some of the best writing, I'm like "Hwhat?"

U1 in all fairness seemed to be a bit more self aware. It came across as more of a homage than the other titles.
Hindsight is 20/20 I guess. I can see why people got caught up in the glamour of it at the time, I did myself. Graphically the games are beautiful and were breathtaking for the era. I think it's always the graphics and awesome attention to detail that ND put into that which carries their games. Take that away and it's a decent (nothing groundbreaking, but enjoyable) storyline and mediocre as hell gameplay. I can't see the games aging well because of this; graphics age, amazing gameplay and storylines do not age.

The Last of Us had much better story writing than the Uncharted games I think, but even there the gameplay was tbh even less fun.

ND suck at engaging, fun gameplay. That said I think that's an industry-wide problem right now. everyone wants to be so cinematic in their games, not letting you just play for more than 30 seconds without some story-advancing cutscene taking control away. That's a major issue in Reboot Tomb Raider as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanonymouz View Post
sam is one of the most unlikable characters ive ever came across in a video game..........
He is so damn flat, I can't.

Also his hair bugs me. If you've got a hairline that receded, cmon now, you can't be growing it out like it's supposed to look like something.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 28-09-19 at 00:04.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-19, 19:01   #11293
johnanonymouz

I wanna go for all the treasures in the lost legacy cause it's my favorite uncharted game but i dont have the energy to go through all the action..........
Old 25-10-19, 19:15   #11294
Athukraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanonymouz View Post
I wanna go for all the treasures in the lost legacy cause it's my favorite uncharted game but i dont have the energy to go through all the action..........
It's the game with the least amount of action
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-19, 19:35   #11295
johnanonymouz

it's still a lot for me.......i wish i could just go back and search
Old 26-10-19, 16:58   #11296
johnanonymouz

stealth in the lost legacy impresses me and irks me at the same time. you have to be so calculated and scan whole areas and read patterns which can be fun cause it allows you to be strategic and take your time but i kill someone and someone thats on a tower far away sees me like........so annoying
Old 13-12-19, 22:11   #11297
Zsott

Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-20, 19:22   #11298
ANoDE
Golden

Uncharted - The Nathan Drake Collection is currently free on PS Store. (Along with Journey).
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-20, 19:33   #11299
Ellioft

I have recently completed Uncharted 4 and I can say it's the best Uncharted I have played for now (I have played and completed the trilogy). I was finally invested into the faith of the characters on the screen. Well more or less because I was much more pleased by SAAAAAAM (wait wrong character ) than Nathan extremely competant and boring life with Elena. I do appreciate the focus on the brother relashionship who felt really organic and the lore was definitly much more interesting and complete than before. That said, the worst part was the villains, in four games Naughty Dog's writter doesn't have made a memorable opponent.. Nadine could have been interesting but she's just there.

Also technically speaking the game is gorgeous but the exploration is super limited, the pacing is good when you are in Madagascar until you reach New Deavon at this moment it's an orgy of gunfights until the end and just like every Uncharted it's tiresome (U2 takes the cake). Some of the setpieces seems to be disconnected and not really organic to the game like the clock tower falling down. Also there was a strange TR reboot vibe on the Island (when Nathan is struggling, shooting Saaaaaam, finding a kind of pickaxe) etc.

For the puzzles everyone praised well some are nice but they aren't the focus I think there's at least five puzzles in the game and one was reminding me of Anniversary (with the ray of light). Also this could be exciting if you didn't have the Woodchuck Guidebook to describe what you need to do.

So my overall experience with the franchise is a mixed bag.

The main problem is the protagonist himself he wasn't interesting enough for me. On four games I didn't care that much about him or his couple.

Last edited by Ellioft; 21-04-20 at 19:34.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-20, 20:46   #11300
dcw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
I have recently completed Uncharted 4 and I can say it's the best Uncharted I have played for now (I have played and completed the trilogy). I was finally invested into the faith of the characters on the screen. Well more or less because I was much more pleased by SAAAAAAM (wait wrong character ) than Nathan extremely competant and boring life with Elena. I do appreciate the focus on the brother relashionship who felt really organic and the lore was definitly much more interesting and complete than before. That said, the worst part was the villains, in four games Naughty Dog's writter doesn't have made a memorable opponent.. Nadine could have been interesting but she's just there.

Also technically speaking the game is gorgeous but the exploration is super limited, the pacing is good when you are in Madagascar until you reach New Deavon at this moment it's an orgy of gunfights until the end and just like every Uncharted it's tiresome (U2 takes the cake). Some of the setpieces seems to be disconnected and not really organic to the game like the clock tower falling down. Also there was a strange TR reboot vibe on the Island (when Nathan is struggling, shooting Saaaaaam, finding a kind of pickaxe) etc.

For the puzzles everyone praised well some are nice but they aren't the focus I think there's at least five puzzles in the game and one was reminding me of Anniversary (with the ray of light). Also this could be exciting if you didn't have the Woodchuck Guidebook to describe what you need to do.

So my overall experience with the franchise is a mixed bag.

The main problem is the protagonist himself he wasn't interesting enough for me. On four games I didn't care that much about him or his couple.
Yeah.. that was probably the point - he even shouts for Sam on the beach which made me LOL so much (Lara: Saaaaaam!!)

Except UC4 did what TR couldn't.. it looked way more epic and realistic.. and the platforming on the cliffside was amazing and very open ended - there are several routes to go. Then there was the ship graveyard..
Its what TR2013 should have been like IMO
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote