Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 02-01-22, 02:56   #21
dormopoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyEdge10 View Post
The models Lara uses during gameplay are:

v1_lara_cine.drm = for the very first cutscene where Lara is about to drown in the sea and then reaches the island

v2_lara_cine.drm = for the entire gameplay section inside the cave, until the part where Lara takes Sam's backpack

v2_lara.drm = since Lara takes Sam's backpack, until a point that I am not sure which one is

what I usually do in my mods is to mod Lara's Aviatrix outfit with my custom model instead of replacing the rest of the default outfit, because it's separated in too many drms and it's too much of a bore

v4_lara.drm
v4_lara_cine.drm
v5_lara.drm
v5_lara_cine.drm

while with the Aviatrix outfit you would only need to mod:

v3_lara_aviatrix.drm
v3_lara_aviatrix_cine.drm
Thanks very much for the advice. I was able to edit the mesh for v2_lara.drm and got the changes to appear in the "Benchmark" mode movie, but for some reason, the change doesn't appear in the actual gameplay. I am currently at the "Mountain Village" level, so I think this would be v2_lara. But I have tried with v1_lara.drm as well, to no success.

I am thinking it's a problem with the TR9 DRM Dumper tool, since it does not pull meshes from the patch.000.tiger file. It only seems to work on the bigfile.000.file. I have been using the bigfile.000.file meshes and renaming them according to the patch.000.file section numbers but I am thinking the gameplay versions of Lara use the patch.000.file meshes specifically, and won't work with the bigfile.000.file meshes. I could be wrong though.
dormopoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-23, 14:48   #22
_MaZ_TeR_

Hey, a question, how possible is it to port the Rise and Shadow of the Tomb Raider Lara Croft head to Tomb Raider 2013? I've been wanting for Crystal Dynamics to do a proper remaster of the game and port that head for proper contunity, but no idea when or if it will happen.

Biggest issue I'm worried about is can I leave the mouth and eye meshes from those two games in their original place or if they work seamlessly.

The PS3/X360 TR2013 Lara is in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, so I'm guessing the newer model should work quite well with the TR2013 animations.

Another question I have is if it is possible to change and add objects in the world? I've planned to remaster some objects and possibly add more clutter in the world. There are some areas in the game in the distance that look like a bare, angular hill obviously made out of polygons with couple of trees, which sure could use remastering.

Third question, is it possible to make the TR2013 purehair system to look like how it does in Rise and Shadow of the Tomb Raider?

Last edited by _MaZ_TeR_; 17-04-23 at 14:50.
_MaZ_TeR_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-23, 12:20   #23
_MaZ_TeR_

What Blender version is supposed to work with the importer? I tried the latest version (3.6) all the way to 2.8 and none work. The importer buttons aren't present anywhere. In fact, I find it odd that it warns me that "an upgrade to 2.8x is required" even on Blender 2.80.

Edit: 2.76 seems to work, but man it'd be nice if it worked at least on 3.0

Last edited by _MaZ_TeR_; 11-08-23 at 14:59.
Old 11-08-23, 23:25   #24
VictorXD

Well, I suppose you could save the .blend file in 2.76 and open it in a more recent version, do everything there and then just export it using a more recent version by either opening the .blend file in 2.7 again or importing your modded character as an .FBX in the older blender version so you can use the proper export tools.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-23, 12:14   #25
_MaZ_TeR_

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
Well, I suppose you could save the .blend file in 2.76 and open it in a more recent version, do everything there and then just export it using a more recent version by either opening the .blend file in 2.7 again or importing your modded character as an .FBX in the older blender version so you can use the proper export tools.
Yeah I actually figured that's the best course for now.

Also, I'm wondering about the part "My mod tool will not export a mesh if it counts more than 42 bones is in used".

Does that mean a mesh can't have 42 vertex groups included, whether they have weights attached to them or not, or does it mean that 42 vertex groups with weights added to them isn't allowed, which naturally is pretty big for really anything.

Because adding empty groups from an armature automatically gives its every single bone into an object and deleting all of the unused vertex groups is kind of a pain, I'm pretty sure there's not even an addon even on Blender 3.6 that allows one to delete unused vertex groups.

Oh and I noticed that the Blender importer doesn't import the mesh used with the eyebrows.

Also, I'm not sure if OP will reply or someone knowledgeable, but I wonder if it's legal in term of how the game will allow it that you can move around bones if the custom body doesn't quite match the base game model. For example, for Lara, I have to move around the eye in Y axis forward.

Last edited by _MaZ_TeR_; 15-08-23 at 14:51.
Old 15-08-23, 07:01   #26
JimbobJeffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MaZ_TeR_ View Post
Also, I'm wondering about the part "My mod tool will not export a mesh if it counts more than 42 bones is in used".

Does that mean a mesh can't have 42 vertex groups included, whether they have weights attached to them or not, or does it mean that 42 vertex groups with weights added to them isn't allowed, which naturally is pretty big for really anything.
In lieu of a more knowledgeable person answering, I had a quick look at the script's code and I think it's counting vertex groups on the mesh, not bones in the armature? But I guess the easy thing to do is just test it.

There's a method here to easily delete all unused groups, hopefully it still works in 3.6.1 LTS.
JimbobJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-23, 16:51   #27
_MaZ_TeR_

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimbobJeffers View Post
In lieu of a more knowledgeable person answering, I had a quick look at the script's code and I think it's counting vertex groups on the mesh, not bones in the armature? But I guess the easy thing to do is just test it.

There's a method here to easily delete all unused groups, hopefully it still works in 3.6.1 LTS.
Thanks, but that didn't exactly work, it would actually remove all of the vertex groups, since the thread says it'll remove only ones that wouldn't be included with the armature from which you got the vertex groups.

Anyway, I managed to solve the issue with this thread:
https://blenderartists.org/t/batch-d...ript/449881/22

Just had to run the script via the text editor and it removed unweighted, unused vertex groups.
Old 15-08-23, 21:58   #28
_MaZ_TeR_

Damn, I'm running to the same problem as mentioned before. I had mistakenly used the bigfile version of Lara and patch000 doesn't export any mesh file at all with v2_lara on the first, the second and the latest patch, probably not with any of the other game and model versions either.

I tested multiple versions, from latest to the first and the same thing happens. DRM unpacker does show that it supposedly exported it as it gives the file name, size and the offset of Section_567.mesh, but it just exports an empty RenderMesh folder. Doesn't make sense since the tools haven't changed since this thread was made.

Last edited by _MaZ_TeR_; 15-08-23 at 22:09.
Old 20-08-23, 21:35   #29
_MaZ_TeR_

Alright, so even though the 10yo DRM dumper doesn't give the mesh files from patch000, you can get your custom model ported by extracting the drm files from patch000, which shows the archive specific mesh file names in the list of extracted files. So, v2_lara in bigfile0 is Section_4 and in patch000, it's Section_567. Just name the custom model to Section new_567 or whatever and follow rest of the tutorial normally ( I don't think the file name matters anyway, just that the data matches the original where you didn't insert new bones or add more weights than it could handle).

Note, this works on the latest version as of August 2023 after all the patches that removed all the Square Enix stuff. However, I did disable all the DLC, but none of it affects patch000 archive, so I doubt it'll make a difference if I turn it on (I only own the extra tomb and all the Lara's outfit dlcs)

Oh and I noticed it fails to extract some textures from the patch file too. V2 Lara is missing the head normal map and v5 is missing both it and the head diffuse map. You probably can figure out which of them they are by again looking at the list, looking up what it failed to extract and just experiment which one is what kind of file.

Edit: Actually, no. Extract v2 lara from bigfile first, then the patch000 version, then sort by file size in the textures folder for both the versions and use that and then the list to figure out the missing file names within patch000

Edit 2: Nevermind, not even that works, because the files are sorted with different sizes somehow even though they show they're the exact same size. However, what is a reliable alternative is extracting bigfile0 files, looking up for example head normal map's offset and size in the dumper, then extracting it from patch0 and looking up which one matches.

Edit 3: Scratch that too, it doesn't work either with the textures as the same texture has both a different name, offset and size in the bigfile and the patch archives. How I did manage to find at least the head normal map is taking a look at if there's a row of similar textures, then viewing from the list if there is a missing texture.

Last edited by _MaZ_TeR_; 21-08-23 at 14:44.
Old 26-08-23, 13:12   #30
_MaZ_TeR_

I've got some notes here:

cinev1lara is just for the sequence when Lara lands on the island before blacking out.

v1 is for the intro when you escape the cocoon just before landing on the piece of metal. I don't think you even see this variant in gameplay since it's hidden, though it is in the model previewer. It appears in the cutscene where Lara is falling, the model is already v2 since the devs used camera tricks to hide the wound before you see the metal rod sticking out of Lara's body.

cine + normal v2_lara are for rest of the game until v4 takes hold.

v4_lara start right after the plane crash after activating the Mountain Base tower's SOS during the slide sequence (it'll instantly crash even if it worked before if you don't have the updated v.5 Blender tool installed).

cine_v4_lara is activated the first time during the cutscene in Chasm Monastery when Lara enters Himiko's tomb. v4_lara takes hold until the escape from the Solarii Fortress and the helicopter crash, which is when cine + normal v5_lara models appear for rest of the game. I'm guessing lara_bloody is for the sequence when Lara jumps into the pool of blood after the fire ritual right after the Shantytown level. I don't know if lara_clean is ever even used, since v1 is pretty much the exact same model.

Note that all of v2 lara's textures work on v1 lara. All the head attachment objects' (eyes, mouth, eyelashes, etc.) textures work on v1, v2 and v4 by only changing for example just v2's.

Cine versions' textures need to be individually done, though cinev1's head attachments use shared textures, so only head needs changing.

Last edited by _MaZ_TeR_; 26-08-23 at 13:35.