www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 26-03-20, 19:00   #6241
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
Thats the thing, they dont make those ****ty decisions because they think they are ****ty.
They make them because they think they are good.
And they did this stuff because they thought it would sell well enough, maybe even mainly due to the franchise names.

So when you try different things with silent hill and they all turn out to be not what they hoped for, how do you approach a new silent hill game?

Its a gamble, but if they arent confident enough or so, sell the rights instead of hanging onto them, thinking that maybe one day you have an idea you are more confident in.

Konami is weird.
I really don't understand how anyone, especially a company as money focused as Konami, can thing getting companies with insufficient experience on platorms, with the series or releasing games on niche consoles would have been a good idea. If they did then they need to take a step back and learn from that. Horror has had a massive ressurgence in recent years. There is a market for a good SH game. They don't need to spend the earth. Certainly nowhere near as much as they have been plowing into MGS for years, which is where I believe most of their issues have come from, to make a game that will feel quality and will sell.
Old 27-03-20, 14:52   #6242
Mani_Man
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Silent Hill I can understand them having a hard time thinking what to do, but Castlevania? The DS games were massive blockbusters and iconic to that franchise. They could easily make a new Castlevania game in the spirit of the classic games and they would sell like hotcakes. Especially if they ported the DS and Gameboy games. There is a quite a big demand for that franchise over all.

The new 3D Castlevania they should give up on, that never proved fruitful because Castlevania was always a side scroller game, but a classic side scroller released on Nintendo Switch would print money.
Eh, i always liked the 3d castlevania games more...the ones on the ps2 or N64...but that could be because i like the "idea" of setting.
I just like the inspiration of those traditional horror tropes, so im all for exploring that in 3d.

But werent the last CV games lords of shadow 2015 or so? I thought they made LOS because the side scrollers didnt sell that well, but im not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I really don't understand how anyone, especially a company as money focused as Konami, can thing getting companies with insufficient experience on platorms, with the series or releasing games on niche consoles would have been a good idea. If they did then they need to take a step back and learn from that. Horror has had a massive ressurgence in recent years. There is a market for a good SH game. They don't need to spend the earth. Certainly nowhere near as much as they have been plowing into MGS for years, which is where I believe most of their issues have come from, to make a game that will feel quality and will sell.
Maybe because they are so money focused.
Trying to minimize costs and hoping to maximize the profit.
I dont know, the market of horror themed games is so big and there are many good out there that dont invent the wheel new.
Making something straightforward with the name silent hill attached, seems a sure success...but who knows what the hell Konami thinks.
Mani_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-20, 18:53   #6243
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
Maybe because they are so money focused.
Trying to minimize costs and hoping to maximize the profit.
I dont know, the market of horror themed games is so big and there are many good out there that dont invent the wheel new.
Making something straightforward with the name silent hill attached, seems a sure success...but who knows what the hell Konami thinks.
Oh yeah, I get that but surely you can only do that once, twice most, and think 'yeah, this isn't working'. To continue on just seems like arrogance which, to be quite frank, is somewhat a synonym for Konami anyway. I just think they need to remember that you have to spend money to make money. With all due respect to him they let Kojima run amock with their budget with MGS. I get that; it was their flagship series and it sold well but to be quite frank I think they could make a decent MG game on less of a budget and spread that across their other series.

To be quite frank, I wouldn't even mind if they retired MG completely and focused on other series. MG has come full circle, if you can count the absolute absurdity that is whatever story there was in MGSV being canon, and there would be too much of an uproar if Konami ever tried to do it without Kojima (even though I think that, gameplay wise if they went back to the MGS1-4 model they could do it better without him) so just put that money back into other franchises that could be successful with the focus.

With Christophe Gann making a new movie, possibly inspired by SH2, in the works it seems like perfect timing to at least give it one last push. But a good push.
Old 27-03-20, 20:58   #6244
Mani_Man
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
Oh yeah, I get that but surely you can only do that once, twice most, and think 'yeah, this isn't working'. To continue on just seems like arrogance which, to be quite frank, is somewhat a synonym for Konami anyway. I just think they need to remember that you have to spend money to make money. With all due respect to him they let Kojima run amock with their budget with MGS. I get that; it was their flagship series and it sold well but to be quite frank I think they could make a decent MG game on less of a budget and spread that across their other series.

To be quite frank, I wouldn't even mind if they retired MG completely and focused on other series. MG has come full circle, if you can count the absolute absurdity that is whatever story there was in MGSV being canon, and there would be too much of an uproar if Konami ever tried to do it without Kojima (even though I think that, gameplay wise if they went back to the MGS1-4 model they could do it better without him) so just put that money back into other franchises that could be successful with the focus.

With Christophe Gann making a new movie, possibly inspired by SH2, in the works it seems like perfect timing to at least give it one last push. But a good push.
You would think so, especially with a series like Silent Hill.
After 2-3 times you would think something hits them and they realize that things might be better if you try a different angle.
But Konami has turned weird at some point. XD

Honestly, i gave up MGS after 3...i found 4 horrible and tend to ignore it and see MGS3 as the final.
So i dont really need any MGS game whatsoever, but it is a big name and i at least expect down the line a remake of MGS1.

Hard to say how this all goes, i could see Konami at least consider doing something with SH...especially after this latest buzz with this rumor of them selling the rights.
The reaction was big enough that they had to say something, so maybe it shows them that there is still a big interest in the brand and they might give it one final shot...who knows.
Mani_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-20, 13:04   #6245
noonbob
Professor

Such a cool concept.

noonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-20, 16:10   #6246
Tombraider95
Relic Hunter

Wow I love that! The arm inventory looks cool. James' character model looks terrifying though lol
Old 31-03-20, 21:49   #6247
jajay119
Tomb Raider

The rumour mill is grinding again: this time that Microsoft are looking at buying MGS, SH and castlevania whilst still letting Konami use the IP for gambling machines. Apparently it was something MS has been lining up for E3.
Old 31-03-20, 22:49   #6248
noonbob
Professor

They're probably just ****ing with us. Assholes, I can't take having my soul hurt when the rumours get shut down AGAIN.
Old 01-04-20, 00:01   #6249
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonbob View Post
They're probably just ****ing with us. Assholes, I can't take having my soul hurt when the rumours get shut down AGAIN.
It would be a bit bizarre as Konami has more often than not been more exclusive to Sony. But if they're not making games anymore I doubt they'd have any particular console favouring now. Plus, MS has been known to throw money after existing series before so it wouldn't be out of character - especially if they're looking for established IPs to make first party for the new generation. MGS and SH would certainly get me to buy an Xbox. I could see this happening if MS are footing the development bills with Konami still getting to leech of the IP names in pachinko machines.
Old 01-04-20, 12:20   #6250
noonbob
Professor

^^ Well if it's true, I'll save my pennies to buy an Xbox