www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 22-06-19, 20:37   #1761
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Yeah. Just dowloaded in FLAC format. Was a bit nervous there while downloading was progressing since it said only one attempt and my connection isn't all that stable. Luckily it went fine though.
Old 22-06-19, 20:51   #1762
Brendanlovesu1
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
This. I hope it happens eventually.
IIRC wasn't work on the remastered tracks supposed to start back in February? I seem to recall it being mentioned in an update around that time
Brendanlovesu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-19, 23:02   #1763
Johnnay
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0ton View Post
FLAC: 44.1 kHz - 16 bits
MP3: 320kbps CBR

There's a little surprise on the download page too
is FLAC Better than MP3

Also randomly but does iPhones support FLAC.. if it is better I can play it through the music app..
Old 22-06-19, 23:24   #1764
tlr online
Administrator

FLAC is most certainly better than MP3 and if your device supports FLAC I would highly recommend this format over MP3.

FLAC is typcally 1411 kbps (CD quality) vs MP3, which is 320 kbps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-19, 23:30   #1765
Johnnay
Tomb Raider

Thanks Justin

Yeah Iíll most likely download FLAC then.
Old 23-06-19, 03:14   #1766
Helegad
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr online View Post
FLAC is most certainly better than MP3 and if your device supports FLAC I would highly recommend this format over MP3.

FLAC is typcally 1411 kbps (CD quality) vs MP3, which is 320 kbps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC
MP3 uses algorithms to reduce the bitrate by removing frequencies that the human ear cannot hear among other things. The 320 CBR, if encoded with one of the later versions of LAME, would be completely transparent (ie. you couldn't tell the difference between it and FLAC). To call any MP3 "high-res" though is really misleading. The files are irreversibly altered from their source, like downloading a YIFY Blu-Ray rip. It's alright, but you wouldn't pay actual money for that, because it's not the real deal. This is why a lot of digital music retailers offer MP3s cheaper than FLAC/WAV/ALAC. (PS: If you see a retailer selling WAVs for more than FLACs, don't buy it. FLACs can decompress to WAVs without any loss of audio data).

It annoys me to see Nathan selling 320s as a "high-res" format, that's utter bullsh*t. Anybody with basic knowledge of digital audio should know better than this.

Calling 16 bit 44.1 KHz lossless audio "high-res" is not correct either, it's standard CD quality. Usually you'd see 24 bit 96 KHz or above for that label. The point is sorta moot though because that's moving into serious audiophile/snake oil territory. CD audio pretty much exceeds the limits of human hearing. If you ordered a CD of TRS, you're getting/already have the "high-res" version (unless the CDs were mastered from a lossy format... it's been known to happen. Let's hope not).

FLAC is a great archival format for a home music library, regardless of how good your audio system is. Reason being if you want MP3s to put on your phone, or AACs for your iPod, you can very easily encode your own, and you should be too. Having FLACs on a portable device is a huge waste of disk space, because in 99.999% of cases the player's DAC and your headphones are too cheap to reproduce the potential, let alone in the noisy environments that you'd be listening in (bus, car, gym, etc.) If you want to use one of the tracks in a video that you're making, FLAC will make sure that you're not doing a lossy transcode of the audio when exporting the video. However if you download the MP3s and then want to go to another lossy format, it's going to further "mutilate" the audio and you may end up noticeably losing quality.

To anyone who is balking at the FLAC file size, download it then burn it to a CD and put it away in storage if you can't spare the hard drive space. At least that way you'll have an archival copy you can go back to if need be.

Last edited by Helegad; 23-06-19 at 03:27.
Helegad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-19, 04:39   #1767
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

Downloaded the FLAC version, immediately after seeing the file size difference .
Old 23-06-19, 07:37   #1768
annacroft
Explorer

I actually can tell the difference between the Spotify version and the FLAC version really easily tbh.

Also I know it's probably a long shot but is it possible to put the TR Suite in TRI/II/III for your own personal use? Sorry, I'm not really sure how I would do it.

Last edited by annacroft; 23-06-19 at 07:41.
annacroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-19, 07:57   #1769
Helegad
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by annacroft View Post
I actually can tell the difference between the Spotify version and the FLAC version really easily tbh.
Spotify (and most other streaming services for that matter) uses heavy-handed compression to ease bandwidth usage.
Old 23-06-19, 08:40   #1770
Putai
Student

Got also my FLAC version without problem.
The "little surprise" detail when you select the version is nice though
Now just waiting to the tin CD and the vinyl to be done with this.