Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 24-03-24, 18:07   #3751
Ellioft

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
Why not?
Because have you not seen the result and the laugh against Harrison Ford Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny ? It's sad but we have to understand that not everyone want to see an older version of Lara Croft.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-24, 19:53   #3752
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Because have you not seen the result and the laugh against Harrison Ford Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny ? It's sad but we have to understand that not everyone want to see an older version of Lara Croft.
Harrison Ford is 81 though. Not quite the same as a 40-something Lara.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-24, 23:13   #3753
PinkyPromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Harrison Ford is 81 though. Not quite the same as a 40-something Lara.
This.

It seems horrible to me to think that we can only see a 20/30 year old Lara. People at 40 are not a mummy. 40/50 is the age of many of the action stars who are very successful now, like Keanu Reeves (almost 60!) for example. Let's stop ageism.

JLo is 54 years old and has seen The Mother and she is incredible (physically, the movie is horrible). I refuse to think that we cannot include 40/50 year old actresses on the list. I find a Lara Croft in her 40s very interesting.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 24-03-24 at 23:16.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-24, 19:42   #3754
AimlessThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
This.

It seems horrible to me to think that we can only see a 20/30 year old Lara. People at 40 are not a mummy. 40/50 is the age of many of the action stars who are very successful now, like Keanu Reeves (almost 60!) for example. Let's stop ageism.

JLo is 54 years old and has seen The Mother and she is incredible (physically, the movie is horrible). I refuse to think that we cannot include 40/50 year old actresses on the list. I find a Lara Croft in her 40s very interesting.
Are we living in a different universe?

Sure, for normal people being 40, 50 or 60 is not old, but we are talking about Hollywood.

After 40 you're mostly set to play aunts, mothers or grandmothers.

Sure, there are some roles that are the exception, but most actresses are considered a "has been" after 40. Even actresses like Sharon Stone, Angelina Jolie, or Michelle Pfeiffer.

Hollywood is extremely sexist and ageist and as an extension the world is the same when it comes to celebrities, that's why so many choose the path of plastic surgery.

Just look at Megan Fox. She was a stunner and still quite young, but she's unrecognizable nowadays.

It is what it is. Even Alicia was kinda pushing it age wise, but she looked younger than she was.

They probably want someone young, to squeeze at least a whole trilogy out of it.

There's no point in being sad. Money talks and someone young and popular has the potential to be a bigger box office draw.

Humans are superficial beings, there's no changing that.

Leave all feelings aside.

I get that you like Angelina, but we can't always have our ways. Not to mention, that she has distanced herself quite a lot from the role. Almost, like it's a dirty secret.

She was given the opportunity to come back for a third movie, but declined.

She stated that she feels like she has done all that was needed for the franchise and that it's time to move on. I don't have a link to exactly what she said, but I vaguely remember reading something along those lines.

So basically, the only reason why we did not get a third movie with her, besides the Cradle of Life being a flop, is exactly Angelina.

At least Alicia was excited to return, but it's too late for that too. These two ships have already sailed, the trains have left the station.

Last edited by AimlessThunder; 28-03-24 at 19:49.
AimlessThunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-24, 23:55   #3755
Tonyrobinson

Sadly you could be right in regards to Alicia but she still would be my first choice for the role.

In the past few years she has grown up and cosmetically refined her looks (I'm not saying its been major work or anything but she has visibly got her teeth fixed with has changed the shape of her face somewhat) she looks a little more mature nowadays and looks like a beautiful woman and not the young girl from the first film, it is a shake because I wanted to see her grown with the role so we could eventually see her at this point portraying a fully realised adult Lara.

Sadly I don't think she will be back because I feel as though they'll want to distance themselves further from the 2018 film especially with the new vision for the game and how big of a gap there has been.

I do wonder behind the scenes what the focus is on in regards to film and TV media, its been a while since we heard anything on the PWB project and I was hoping we would atleast get a minor indication or update by now considering Lord of the Rings progressed fairly quick at Amazon.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 28-03-24 at 23:56.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-24, 00:15   #3756
AndrewGilkison

Charlize Theron was 41 when she filmed Atomic Blonde, one of her best action roles. She still does action movies now at 48.

Its a bit ridiculous that men like Keanu Reeves can start big action franchises like John Wick when they are 50 years old, but women are over the hill once they turn 35.
AndrewGilkison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-24, 02:35   #3757
AimlessThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGilkison View Post
Charlize Theron was 41 when she filmed Atomic Blonde, one of her best action roles. She still does action movies now at 48.

Its a bit ridiculous that men like Keanu Reeves can start big action franchises like John Wick when they are 50 years old, but women are over the hill once they turn 35.
I agree, but it is what it is and I don't see things changing anytime soon. Sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
Sadly you could be right in regards to Alicia but she still would be my first choice for the role.

In the past few years she has grown up and cosmetically refined her looks (I'm not saying its been major work or anything but she has visibly got her teeth fixed with has changed the shape of her face somewhat) she looks a little more mature nowadays and looks like a beautiful woman and not the young girl from the first film, it is a shake because I wanted to see her grown with the role so we could eventually see her at this point portraying a fully realised adult Lara.

Sadly I don't think she will be back because I feel as though they'll want to distance themselves further from the 2018 film especially with the new vision for the game and how big of a gap there has been.

I do wonder behind the scenes what the focus is on in regards to film and TV media, its been a while since we heard anything on the PWB project and I was hoping we would atleast get a minor indication or update by now considering Lord of the Rings progressed fairly quick at Amazon.
She did have a lot of work done.

No shaming or anything like that, but it's obvious that she had at least a nose job, veneers and fillers.

A shame really, it took away from her uniqness.

I guess that imagining that Hollywood actors can be natural is just an illusion.

I can't think of a single celebrity who has not had something tuned up. Even, Angelina had a nose job at one point in her youth.

This eternal chase for beauty and perfection must be extremely overwhelming in the long run. Also, it is quite defeating in the end, since they all end up look alike.

Anyways, people should have any procedure that they want. Who am I to judge? I was just sharing my thoughts.

I don't think that Alicia will be back, they probably had some plans about that during the Tomb Raider Experience, since she was supposed to make a video appearance, but that has been quite a while ago.

Maybe it's for the best. Tomb Raider 2018 was a decent movie, but I am not entirely sure that it warranted a sequel. They did set it up that way, but unfortunately they did not fully delivered with the original.

Sure, we as stans, I mean fans liked it, but to anyone outside our community, it was kinda bland and forgettable. At least the first one with Angelina did not take itself so seriously and it was entertaining.
AimlessThunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-24, 04:31   #3758
snarkamedes

Best thing to do regards casting the role would be to go to the source: in this case that would be British girls' schools: eg., Roedean (Rhona Mitra's old school) or Gordonstoun itself (Lara's school in canon). At those places the producers will find a plethora of athletic young women with the requisite cut-glass accent and posh sloane-ranger attitudes that simply cannot be faked by any amount of supposed acting talent.

Simply pick the one who can actually act a bit (theatre kids exist in the UK too), glue a braid to the back of her head and drop her in front of the cameras.
snarkamedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-24, 09:12   #3759
Ellioft

Good idea let's put an adaptation into the hands of a nobody that isn't prepared for the backlash that could ensure for her.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-24, 01:49   #3760
Rai

No matter how posh and 'sloan ranger' a young woman is, she still needs to be able to act. Having the accent and a certain attitude isn't enough and there's more to Lara than those things - which needs to shine through in a film. Besides going to one of the schools would limit the age to below 21.

No, let's at least cast an actress with excellent acting skills and enough experience to carry the role and pressure on her shoulders.

Last edited by Rai; 07-04-24 at 01:50.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote