Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 25-03-24, 22:29   #11
perryloo

Adrenaline Dodge was very hard to achieve on PC, sometimes it worked, other times not

When it came to fighting the T-rex, the only way I got through that fight, was that the T-rex got stuck on a fence, and I took it out casually with Uzis
perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-24, 00:49   #12
Synapse

So basically in a nutshell Anniversary was trying to capture the spirit of the original (Tomb Raider 1) but failed because they changed/altered too much from the original to make it more like Legend?
Synapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-24, 18:06   #13
Jackanory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
So basically in a nutshell Anniversary was trying to capture the spirit of the original (Tomb Raider 1) but failed because they changed/altered too much from the original to make it more like Legend?
I don't think they even tried to capture the original's spirit, nor did they have any reason to do so anyway. If Anniversary had become as celebrated as the remasters thanks to this classic spirit, it would've harmed their own vision of Tomb Raider. When you've stolen an IP and reshaped it, you don't want the masses to be reminded of its origins.

As Jathom95 said earlier, Anniversary was pretty much the result of Crystal's effort to bury Core's legacy for good. But like the phoenix, it has risen from the ashes.

Last edited by Jackanory; 26-03-24 at 18:15.
Jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-24, 01:04   #14
Synapse

Thanks for all of the information and insight
Old 29-03-24, 21:06   #15
JAMJOOM

Marketing of course
JAMJOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-24, 22:57   #16
Darkon

To sum it all up: Marketing. Most people didn't even know this game existed back then I guess. I also recall what very little promotional material they released at the time only seemed to promote the Peru levels; Greece, Egypt and Atlantis got one promotional picture each if any. In fact you'd be lead to believe the T-Rex is the final boss of the game by looking at the marketing campaign .

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryloo View Post
Adrenaline Dodge was very hard to achieve on PC, sometimes it worked, other times not

When it came to fighting the T-rex, the only way I got through that fight, was that the T-rex got stuck on a fence, and I took it out casually with Uzis
I'm always surprised when I see people complaining about the Adrenaline Dodge feature, I could pull it off like 99% of the time back then (still can ) and that 1% where it failed was because they put enemies in small places where Lara would collide with the environment and fail while dodging, other than that I managed to master it rather quickly and never found it as problematic as others do . The only exception being Natla's Adrenaline Dodge moments but those were made tricky on purpose I guess because you had to take her wings into account while choosing which direction to dodge to, granted though that you can dodge in any direction against Natla with the right timing and distance from what I've seen.
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-24, 00:19   #17
Synapse

I like the T-Rex and the Two Centaurs fights alot. I started playing the game again and Adrenaline Dodge on the beasts and the T-Rex is easy on PC. Peru as a zone I like the most for some reason I don't know why, but I just do. I find Natla and the abomination boss the hardest ones to pull off. But that just me and that's probably how the developers intended to be anyway.
Old 02-04-24, 19:46   #18
adamtombraider

Anniversary for me surpasses TR1 in every way the game is more fun, merging the Cistern & Tomb of Tihocan was a genius idea as those two levels were so boring in TR1 the way its done in Anniversary it flows better, Egypt looks gorgeous in Anniversary as does the Lost Valley.
adamtombraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-24, 20:45   #19
janissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackanory View Post
I don't think they even tried to capture the original's spirit, nor did they have any reason to do so anyway. If Anniversary had become as celebrated as the remasters thanks to this classic spirit, it would've harmed their own vision of Tomb Raider. When you've stolen an IP and reshaped it, you don't want the masses to be reminded of its origins.

As Jathom95 said earlier, Anniversary was pretty much the result of Crystal's effort to bury Core's legacy for good. But like the phoenix, it has risen from the ashes.
I would like to read more from you specifically how Crystal celebrating Anniversary would harm their own vision of the game... uhhh... but the rest of the comment really sucked, take it as if your friend said it. No one, not figuratively nor literally, stole anything from anyone; Crystal Dynamics was it's official developer since 2003 and Toby Gard involved with both Legend and Anniversary's development.

Sometimes it's vital to make a point without going off the deep end and just randomly throwing words around like fire. We get it, LAU games were pale but come on.
janissary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-24, 08:59   #20
Jackanory

Quote:
Originally Posted by janissary View Post
I would like to read more from you specifically how Crystal celebrating Anniversary would harm their own vision of the game... uhhh... but the rest of the comment really sucked, take it as if your friend said it. No one, not figuratively nor literally, stole anything from anyone; Crystal Dynamics was it's official developer since 2003 and Toby Gard involved with both Legend and Anniversary's development.

Sometimes it's vital to make a point without going off the deep end and just randomly throwing words around like fire. We get it, LAU games were pale but come on.
Core was making their own, and undoubtedly more faithful, remake simultaneously with Crystal. Considering that Crystal had already rebooted the series with Legend, they had reason to compete with Core by releasing their own remake with their own DNA included in it. This is how (and why) we got Anniversary that is a part of the Legend-timeline, not an Anniversary that sticks to the original's story and Lara's bio. Crystal was being protective of their own vision of what TR should be, and their own status of being the gatekeepers of TR continuity.

It's as simple as taking an original idea and making it yours through alterations. But you also need to ensure that the original iteration of the idea is forgotten. That's the perfect reason for sabotaging projects that invite attention to what that original idea was all about.
Jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote