Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 28-05-22, 21:03   #31
Ameliorator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATombRaiderFan View Post
Actually it's more of a technical update for the TRC videos, visually these won't be different. I'm using a different approach with combining video and audio using a video editor, previously these were combined using the bink converter. The video editor allows me to combine video and audio with more precision which is why I'm re-doing all the videos. I'm also working on the subtitles again so that they sync with the voices even better.

I'm actually happy TR2 has no dialogues because that means less work for me XD But yeah you do have a point about leaving room to imagination
Ah that’s good that you’re able to get more accurate audio syncing and yeah I know that video editing can be a lot of work so the less dialogue the better for you haha.

I was just thinking that if you’re using a video editor now, would you be able to do anything about the blurriness of those beta FMVs? I’m not sure how much the editor you’re using is capable of doing but it would be nice to see them look as sharp as the PC versions. Of course that would mean more work to do so don’t feel any pressure to change them, they still look great

Last edited by Ameliorator; 28-05-22 at 21:15.
Ameliorator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-22, 08:29   #32
ATombRaiderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameliorator View Post
I was just thinking that if you’re using a video editor now, would you be able to do anything about the blurriness of those beta FMVs? I’m not sure how much the editor you’re using is capable of doing but it would be nice to see them look as sharp as the PC versions. Of course that would mean more work to do so don’t feel any pressure to change them, they still look great
Sorry about the late response, I wanted to go back and check a few things before answering your question.

I've considered both linear and cubic interpolations for upscaling. Linear does a good job of upscaling but can be a little blurry. Cubic gives you a little sharper video but artifacts become more evident. On balance I felt linear is the optimal method for upscaling these videos. It's worth remembering that the beta videos are 320x240 so there's very little I can do about the sharpness. There's also AI upscaling but I'd rather not do that for this project.

Thank you again for your kind words

Last edited by ATombRaiderFan; 31-05-22 at 08:39.
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-22, 16:27   #33
ATombRaiderFan

Default Update

I've been working on all the bink FMVs again - this time ensuring the video and audio are combined with more precision. I've also made the beta movies in AVI format which hopefully will be supported by TRC someday. Subtitles are also improved too.

If any of you guys already have these videos in your collection, I'd recommend replacing them with the latest ones.

Last edited by ATombRaiderFan; 04-09-22 at 14:25.
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-22, 17:46   #34
Ameliorator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATombRaiderFan View Post
Sorry about the late response, I wanted to go back and check a few things before answering your question.

I've considered both linear and cubic interpolations for upscaling. Linear does a good job of upscaling but can be a little blurry. Cubic gives you a little sharper video but artifacts become more evident. On balance I felt linear is the optimal method for upscaling these videos. It's worth remembering that the beta videos are 320x240 so there's very little I can do about the sharpness. There's also AI upscaling but I'd rather not do that for this project.

Thank you again for your kind words
Aw no need to apologise it’s alright haha. Thanks for the detailed response, I appreciate it

I saw the AVI version you just shared and it looks great! Of course you’re right though that you can only do so much with improving video when the source material is such low quality. You can’t turn dirt into diamonds lmao. Keep up the all the good work
Ameliorator is offline   Reply With Quote