www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 12-08-20, 05:46   #30101
SnatchingEdges
Professor

2dble post
Old 12-08-20, 07:18   #30102
suli
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
It's really sad indeed seeing her wear that garbage
omg I thought the same

how do people choose to wear those monstrosities and take the cutscenes seriously?

Last edited by suli; 12-08-20 at 07:19.
suli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 08:00   #30103
lance6439
Legend

nothing about laras family problems have ever moved me. especially not now.

Chloe and Abby had better father stories
Old 12-08-20, 09:16   #30104
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekim View Post
Can we talk about this. Made me cry

kOx56UQKPs4
I really love this scene. It's beautifully done. Lara gets to see her parents again, in a way that could have been. It's both sweet and sad at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
i hate it here
In the thread? Or in general? Sorry to hear it .

Last edited by Rai; 12-08-20 at 09:55.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 09:52   #30105
Linoshi Croft
Legend

It might of moved me if they didn't use Lara's parents as a main story focus before in their previous trilogy. I also felt Rise mostly dealt with Lara's parents, so it baffled me they were such a large focus in Shadow and Lara's mother was bought to the forefront unnecessarily.
Old 12-08-20, 09:53   #30106
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

I have said it before, and I will say it again, if before I already felt that scene was more powerful than people give it credit to, after going through something very similar to Lara it really hit even harder and still does.

Lara finally being able to move on from what her family could have been, having that shown as bittersweet but ultimately a good thing, and showing that Lara actually feels like she had a weight lifted from her in the few cutscenes that happen after, it's something I will always not love seeing.
Old 12-08-20, 10:23   #30107
Mani_Man
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
I have said it before, and I will say it again, if before I already felt that scene was more powerful than people give it credit to, after going through something very similar to Lara it really hit even harder and still does.

Lara finally being able to move on from what her family could have been, having that shown as bittersweet but ultimately a good thing, and showing that Lara actually feels like she had a weight lifted from her in the few cutscenes that happen after, it's something I will always not love seeing.
The reboots family theme and all is actually pretty nicely done for what it is.
For all the hiccups the writing due to company interference has, its a solid family story.

What i gathered in the fandom, not everybody but a surprising amount of people dont really have a good relationship with their family...which would explain why many dont feel the story.

If you dont have a close relationship with family, with parents...its harder to feel and understand the reboots approach.
Of course not everybody has family problems, some just dont like family focused storys.

And of course we cant ignore the fact that the previous TR games before the reboot, had also the family theme.

There are many factors that caused this part of the Reboot trilogy to be made worse than it is.
Its solid enough to work, its not super great and deep, has its pacing and delivery problems...but its far from the burning garbage this fandom likes to make it.
Mani_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 12:32   #30108
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
The reboots family theme and all is actually pretty nicely done for what it is.
For all the hiccups the writing due to company interference has, its a solid family story.

What i gathered in the fandom, not everybody but a surprising amount of people dont really have a good relationship with their family...which would explain why many dont feel the story.

If you dont have a close relationship with family, with parents...its harder to feel and understand the reboots approach.
Of course not everybody has family problems, some just dont like family focused storys.
Yeah that's definitely a point worth considering. I played Rise before I played LAU, so I wasn't even aware that the family storyline had been done before, but I really didn't mind the way the Father storyline was handled. It didn't have any emotional nuance to it but that's fine considering the high octane story.

The fact that they brought it up again in Shadow felt awkward but it worked within the context of the game imo. The trilogy is a lot more enjoyable if you look at each title as it's own story. That being said, it's also fair to criticize it based on how weak it works as a trilogy.
Old 12-08-20, 13:12   #30109
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Yeah that's definitely a point worth considering. I played Rise before I played LAU, so I wasn't even aware that the family storyline had been done before, but I really didn't mind the way the Father storyline was handled. It didn't have any emotional nuance to it but that's fine considering the high octane story.

The fact that they brought it up again in Shadow felt awkward but it worked within the context of the game imo. The trilogy is a lot more enjoyable if you look at each title as it's own story. That being said, it's also fair to criticize it based on how weak it works as a trilogy.
Even if I don't really agree that the games don't really work as a trilogy, I definitely agree that they work much better as viewed as stand alone stories. Or at least stand alone stories that still happen in chronological order, sort of like a TLR, the present day storyline of TRC and AoD.

If anything, TR2013 should have the the only game set as Lara's origin story, with RotTR, SotTR and a possible TR4 set as a "Trinity trilogy". As in RotTR is the game Lara and Trinity stumble upon each other, SotTR is the game Lara goes after Trinity to avenge her father but ends up moving on, and Reboot 4 as the game Trinity strikes back at Lara, only for Lara ending it for good because they just couldn't bring themselves to just leave Lara be.
Old 12-08-20, 20:15   #30110
puristic jink
Inactive

Shadow of the tomb raider what to make of it it certainly did have some promising aspects but Pititi kinda destroyed the flow for me also it looks way bigger than it is not sure that pititi was in the spirit of Tomb Raider very much excluding the hidden Tombs.
puristic jink is offline   Reply With Quote