www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 10-08-21, 16:32   #30501
killchan
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
I don't get the obsession with undermining the commercial success of the game, especially when SE already stated in December 2018 the game met expectations despite the slow start.
No one wants a slow start from a AAA game that only gets 1 chance to make bank.

A success doesn't bring a franchise's status from "ok" to "W.I.P." .

"Oh yeah, everyone loved the last cycle so much that we're taking god knows how much time off to make something possibly completely different , and coincidencially with nods to the past we've thrown into the bin for the entirely of the last decade" , a clear sign of a fantastic , groundbreaking success. Sure

If getting some profit sometime down the line is the only sign you read as a reference for the future of your IP, it's over.
Urgency is relevancy. Shadow's launch showed it wasn't there anymore.

Enjoy your game all you want, cheer for every new copy sold for the next 50 finantial reports... something happen there.

Last edited by killchan; 10-08-21 at 16:34.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 17:23   #30502
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

The unification of the timelines was already under way during Shadow’s development. They’ve always said the reboot trilogy was only the origin story. Shadow was always advertised as the end of the beginning. Shadow’s alternate ending was changed simply to fit adventures between Shadow and TR1, instead of one going directly inti another. They’ve always said they would not add the stuff from previous Laras in the origin story, which remains true.

TR was never a huge day one sales type of franchise. TR13 holds the franchise’s record, and still “only” sold 3M in 1 month, and 4M in 5 months. Also, you’re ignoring the abysmal marketing the game had, coupled with it being released in a very busy time against Spiderman, AC Odyssey and RDR2.

And again, SE stated the game met expectations. Day 1 sales aren’t everything, especially when a game has a roadmap of monthly content which can bring people in.

And yes, you can be damn sure I’ll celebrate every milestone of the stuff I love, instead of relentlessly obsessing over the stuff I hate. I'll never understand the mentality and enjoyment some people have out of being a negative Nancy

Last edited by Vaskito; 10-08-21 at 17:28.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-21, 11:58   #30503
DOPE
Relic Hunter

the comments under this enrage me..
Old 13-08-21, 12:10   #30504
LNSNHGTDS
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOPE View Post

the comments under this enrage me..
I get it, casuals bring in the money but damn...
Old 15-08-21, 05:47   #30505
Zsott
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
The unification of the timelines was already under way during Shadow’s development.
Source?
I ask because the only thing I remember, is from 2011, when they said "forget everything you knew about Lara Croft." To that, they remained true.
Also, that doesn't scream unification, but the origin of the new interpretation of Lara.

Quote:
Shadow was always advertised as the end of the beginning.
Of what?
It was advertised as the end of the trilogy and/as become Tomb Raider.
Not the beginning of a slightly modified new era.

Quote:
Shadow’s alternate ending was changed simply to fit adventures between Shadow and TR1, instead of one going directly inti another.
Was it really?
They removed/changed not only an easter egg to the classics, but many nods to the latest trilogy too.
I mean... I still remember certain member(s) actually believed that a rebootified (for the lack of better word) TR1 is on the way.

Quote:
They’ve always said they would not add the stuff from previous Laras in the origin story, which remains true.
Then the dual pistols are... a mistake?
Even if they got removed from the ending, they're still a huge part of Lara's origin. Father figure aka Roth, anyone?

Last edited by Zsott; 15-08-21 at 05:48.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-21, 07:24   #30506
LNSNHGTDS
Tomb Raider

All Vaskito said is directly from Crystal Dynamics themselves during the Angel of Darkness celebration livestream.
Old 15-08-21, 11:44   #30507
DOPE
Relic Hunter

It’s pretty obvious they changed their mind during Shadow’s development. The reboot trilogy was never supposed to be prequels because TR2013 was always described as a reboot that happened to tell a new origin story of Lara. Making it officially a prequel it’s just part of the unification process.
Old 16-08-21, 14:47   #30508
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I do think there may have been some sort of an attempt to officially launch the unification with Shadow though.

That deleted ending really hints at it. The fact it was still there when the game went gold too tells me it was a very last minute decision to take it out too. If it's there when the game goes gold then that's the version of a game you intend the audience to see - it's not an 'accident'. That was such a shoddy explanation.

To me that was just someone somewhere saying 'no let's just cap this trilogy off as it's own thing, then we launch the unification a bit later for a new era'.

As much as they are saying the unification is a continuation of the reboot era I think tonally and stylistically it will be very different in how AOD was to the classic era.
Old 16-08-21, 18:11   #30509
LNSNHGTDS
Tomb Raider

I feel like the "Forget Everything You Know!!!!!1" line was just for dramatic effect and for people to not have preconceived expectations about what the 2013 game was gonna be about.

They were pretty clear about the fact that Survivor Lara wouldn't magically transform into Classic Lara at the end of the trilogy but that she would become a more grounded version of her so this unification thing seems to be what they had in mind, they just didn't make it explicitly clear until after the trilogy was finished so that people wouldn't expect a complete 180° change.

At least that's how I'm interpreting this whole thing.
Old 16-08-21, 22:21   #30510
OrangeJuice
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS View Post
I feel like the "Forget Everything You Know!!!!!1" line was just for dramatic effect and for people to not have preconceived expectations about what the 2013 game was gonna be about.

They were pretty clear about the fact that Survivor Lara wouldn't magically transform into Classic Lara at the end of the trilogy but that she would become a more grounded version of her so this unification thing seems to be what they had in mind, they just didn't make it explicitly clear until after the trilogy was finished so that people wouldn't expect a complete 180° change.

At least that's how I'm interpreting this whole thing.
you're giving them way too much credit