www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 29-09-21, 12:11   #1
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Arrow Making Fun Of Crash Site's Shortcuts Onto The Roof Of The Plane

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzuMvvlRwB0

In this video I make fun of the fact that there is more than one shortcut onto the roof of the plane, and the fact that you don't even need to go onto the roof of the plane in order to complete the level. The level is quite difficult when done the correct way as it requires you to go through a dark cave with switches where you have to do a lot of climbing, jumping and monkey swinging, and the slightest mistake could result in you falling to your death. In order to make it into the cave you have to climb up some trees and do more climbing, jumping and monkey swinging. Making it through the cave will eventually lead you towards the roof of the plane, where you would normally need the Commander Bishop's Key and LT Tuckerman's Key in order to complete the level. Inserting those two keys while you're inside the plane causes the plane to open up and unleashes a grenade launcher which can be used to blast open the wall that leads to the end of the level. In this video, I show you that there's a shortcut to the cave which saves you from needing to climb up the trees and do all the climbing, jumping and monkey swinging just to reach the entrance of the cave. I then show a failed attempt to jump onto the roof of the plane from the treetops; I had a recollection of being able to make the jump but perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly. This doesn't matter a great deal as there's an even quicker way onto the roof of the plane, which I bring your attention towards in this video. On the side of the plane are slopes that you're not meant to be able to climb up, but there is one non-slippery spot that you can stand on and then pull yourself up onto the plane. These shortcuts onto the roof of the plane are irrelevant as I show you an even quicker way of completing the level; I show you myself glitching through the wall to the end of the level, saving you from needing the plane or either of the keys in order to complete this level. People doing a glitched speedrun will glitch through the wall to complete the level the quickest way, whereas people doing a glitchless speedrun will use the shortcut onto the roof of the plan, saving them the need to climb the trees or enter the cave.

The shortcut onto the roof of the plane is well known, and the glitch through the wall is well known to speedrunners and people who watch speedruns. So why did I feel the need to do a video on this? Well, I wanted to make fun of the fact that there's a shortcut to the cave, a shortcut onto the roof of the plane which makes the cave unnecessary, and a shortcut through the wall which makes the plane unnecessary. The first time I played this level I saw the non-slippery bit of ground near the side of the plane and used it to climb up. I then thought that that was the normal way onto the roof of the plane and went years without even knowing about the treetops, caves or the intended route onto the roof of the plane. I found it comical that the shortcut onto the roof of the plane was so obvious and that I didn't even know about the intended route as a result of this. So I wanted to make fun of Crash Site because of this; the purpose of this video is to make fun of Crash Site and the fact that the shortcut onto the roof of the plane is harder to miss than to notice. Even though I'm making fun of Crash Site, I think it's worth pointing out that I do think very highly of this level; it's my favourite level from the South Pacific section and one of my favourite levels from the entire game. I'm mocking the level in a way that's playful and not a way that's spiteful.
Old 03-10-21, 11:50   #2
perryloo
Historian

Nice video

Just watching that video, I now remember how torturous and how long the official route onto the roof of the Plane was. A lot of saving on PC was required.

I figured out the easy route to the roof at 3.45 on the video at a later date when exploring, and never used the official route ever again, when playing the game
perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 14:37   #3
Kubsy
Historian

So? It's good that there are several ways to climb the plane. Idk why would you complain about this XD

Useless thread.
Old 04-10-21, 16:33   #4
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubsy View Post
why would you complain about this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
I wanted to make fun of the fact that there's a shortcut to the cave, a shortcut onto the roof of the plane which makes the cave unnecessary, and a shortcut through the wall which makes the plane unnecessary.

[...]

I'm mocking the level in a way that's playful and not a way that's spiteful.
I guess, there you have your answer.
Old 04-10-21, 17:09   #5
tlr online
Administrator

Smile

Keep them coming Greenapple968.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 03:43   #6
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Interesting; not seen that climb and backflip/twist grab to the cave entrance before; have to try that. The final massive shortcut glitch too.

I thought most people knew the much easier shorter route to get on top of the aircraft; when I first played the level I have to admit I missed the cave area completely because I'd found both keys and climbed up that short way and didn't bother to explore any further.

I seem to remember wondering what the tree monkey swing and climbable rock face were there for.

If you use the corner bug (crawl) in the alcove in the wall near the waterfall amongst other things you can find another way to get on top of the aircraft too.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote