www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 04-09-21, 11:16   #1
.snake.
Archaeologist

Default TR3 Graphics Settings - Software Mode vs Hardware Acceleration

I'm currently trying to get the ideal settings for TR3 on the PC.

I have downloaded a patch by Arsunt, and also a patch by Sardoc to remove the health crystals, plus add other fixes.

While the game is running fine so far, I am noticing some minor graphical problems that are bothering me:

In the setup, when I select "Hardware Acceleration", the font for level names, menu options, and items in the inventory becomes somewhat distorted (letters look jagged) and objects and textures with transparency (such as leaves, gratings, doors etc) look very pixelated. Also, the barbed wire in Nevada and London is barely visible.

All this is resolved when I select "Software Mode" in the setup (instead of "Hardware Acceleration"), however then all the textures in the level have these odd "movements" as I run through it (for lack of a better word) and being underwater looks really bad - nothing but rips and cracks and red blotches across the screen.

So does anyone know of a way to fix this? I tried to describe the problems as best as possible and I hope someone knows a fix for this.
.snake. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-21, 14:17   #2
Kirishima
Explorer

The issue your describing for hardware accelerated mode sounds like a common occurance these days with Nvidia cards. The fix would be installing dgvoodoo2, but YMMV. Since you're using Arsunt's patch, FMV's will not work with dgvoodoo2.

Last edited by Kirishima; 04-09-21 at 14:19.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-21, 15:46   #3
.snake.
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
The fix would be installing dgvoodoo2, but YMMV.
What is "but YMMV" ? And where can I get dgvoodoo2? I googled it, but it leads me to so many different downloads, I don't know which is the correct one.
Old 04-09-21, 16:27   #4
Kirishima
Explorer

YMMV= Your Mileage may Vary. To put it simply, what fixes something for one person may be useless junk for someone else. You dowload the latest stable release from here:
http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/

Some web browsers might fuss about a virus, but it's a false positive that dege is well aware of.

For installation, Tomb Raider 3 is a directx6 game, so it only needs the dgvoodoo.conf file, the dgvoodoocpl.exe, and the D3DIMM.dll and DDRAW.dll files from the MS/x86 folders. The dgvoodoocpl exe handles configuring the settings of the wrapper. You may need to run Tomb3's setup for it to properly use dgvoodoo2, otherwise you may run into issues during gameplay. FMV's don't display properly when using dgvoodoo, but can easily be skipped.

Last edited by Kirishima; 04-09-21 at 16:30.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 06:20   #5
.snake.
Archaeologist

Thank you so much for your help with this Kirishima - I'm not so good with this technical stuff, but I was able to follow your instructions and use dgVoodoo2, and everything works perfectly now and looks great.

Shame about the FMVs though. Would they work again if I would get rid of Arsunt's patch?