www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 19-07-21, 01:58   #1
Frceghst8
Historian

Default What did you like or dislike about TR 1

I don't see a thread that covers this, so here we go.

This game is my second favorite in the TR game series.
After 20 some odd years of playing TR, I still think this game is excellent. I don't care if the graphics don't hold up anymore it's the replay value that counts. (At least for me it does)
Frceghst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-21, 02:15   #2
Jathom95
Explorer

Hear, hear! Lol yeah I definitely agree. I know most people prefer Anniversary nowadays, but TR1 has the better atmosphere and gameplay style for me personally. Plus, it's the one that started it all.

I don't really have any particular likes or dislikes that stand out. The only thing really is when you go in reverse you have to remember stuff like sprinting didn't show up until later lol. But it's always a quick adjustment for me.

Last edited by Jathom95; 19-07-21 at 02:19.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-21, 02:23   #3
Frceghst8
Historian

While I personally don't hate Anniversary, I think it could've been better. Now back to the topic at hand, I agree with you Jathom about the atmosphere and such. The persons that hate this game, I really wonder if they ever actually played it. Or at least looked at the game objectively.
Old 19-07-21, 02:31   #4
Jathom95
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frceghst8 View Post
While I personally don't hate Anniversary, I think it could've been better. Now back to the topic at hand, I agree with you Jathom about the atmosphere and such. The persons that hate this game, I really wonder if they ever actually played it. Or at least looked at the game objectively.
I don't dislike Anniversary in the sense that I think people that play it are inferior or that the entire game is terrible or some nonsense like that. What I mainly dislike is the neutered level design and the fact that Crystal tried to, understandably I guess, tie it to the Legend timeline. At that point, why not just make a new game, you know? But it was an inevitable release I suppose.

Now, as far as the original goes, I'd say a lot of why people don't understand why some of us enjoy the classics like TR1 mostly just haven't gotten a chance to play them. The gameplay isn't as dated as people think it is, but it's not exactly easy for the average person to get a hold of the classics nowadays, no matter what it's played on.

And beyond that, some people even still might just prefer the streamlined gameplay. Got no issue with that personally, but I do get sick of being told by a lot of newer fans that just because I like classic Lara and the classic gameplay that I'm just stuck in the past. No, I just like games that actually challenge me and keep me on my toes. What's difficult to understand about that?

Last edited by Jathom95; 19-07-21 at 02:34.
Old 19-07-21, 02:39   #5
Frceghst8
Historian

Yep, I didn't think you did hate Anniversary, I was just saying that I don't hate it. I agree with the rest of your statements about TR 1. Oh, and as far getting a copy TR1; hell there are plenty of emulators out there to choose from.

Last edited by Frceghst8; 19-07-21 at 02:41.
Old 19-07-21, 02:41   #6
Jathom95
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frceghst8 View Post
Yep, I didn't think you did hate Anniversary, I was just saying that I don't hate it. I agree with the rest of your statements about TR 1.
Oh no worries. I understood perfectly. Just wanted to throw in my own 2 cents about it lol.
Old 19-07-21, 02:45   #7
Frceghst8
Historian

As I figured. Again, as far as getting a copy of Tomb Raider 1, there are plenty of emulators out there. Hell I have a raspberry orange pi that I play TR1 on.
Old 19-07-21, 02:51   #8
Jathom95
Explorer

The thing about emulators is while they're relatively easy to set up with the know how, if you run into problems it's not very straightforward for an average user to diagnose why a game is running poorly. Most of the time, it boils down to using a specific type of emulator. Like how using PCSX2 for certain PS2 games can be hit or miss as far as performance or graphical quality, etc. And that in and of itself will throw a lot of people off who aren't tech savvy.

Most people prefer a plug and play solution. Look at how the modpack released over in AOD's section has blown up in popularity. It's allowed a lot of people to finally try the game who possibly wouldn't have otherwise.

Last edited by Jathom95; 19-07-21 at 02:52.
Old 19-07-21, 03:01   #9
Frceghst8
Historian

Okay, if someone buys a raspberry orange pi there shouldn't be any problems. I've never had any problems with it anyways
Old 19-07-21, 03:57   #10
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

My least favourite bits of TR1 would include Colosseum, Tomb Of Tihocan and Natla's Mines. My favourite would include Palace Midas, Atlantis and St Francis Folly. I feel positively about the rest of the game too, just not as positively as those three specific levels.