www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 10-12-18, 14:45   #11
Isaac
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92 View Post
Yes there are people who skip games because they're first person. This forum has quite a few.

I really don't get it.
I don’t aim well in first person because these games rarely come with aim assist and I find First Person games claustrophobic, like everything is thrown or shoven at your face, sometime very close (RE7). Spacial awareness is highly reduced too... and if it gets chaotic the camera can go all over the place.

I’d rather have my camera independent of my character.

I gave enough chances to FPS to know where I stand. It comes with design decisions and repeated patterns and gimmicks I just don’t like.

Last edited by Isaac; 10-12-18 at 14:49.
Isaac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 19:46   #12
shockwave_pulsar00
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Just because it's first person?
Quote:
I really don't get it.
Motion sickness. That's a big one.
Old 17-12-18, 05:25   #13
domino92
Tomb Raider

^ I understand that. That's probably the most reasonable decision to avoid first-person games. So if they make you sick, that makes sense, you get a free pass.

It's just the people who seem to think first-person games come with baggage and design decisions, like they have to be shooters. First-person games are just that, games from a single perspective. We have all sorts of first-person games, from runners like Mirror's Edge to RPGs like Deus Ex.

It's just weird to think there's still a stigma attached to it.
Old 17-12-18, 08:00   #14
Isaac
Relic Hunter

Quote:
It's just the people who seem to think first-person games come with baggage and design decisions,
They do though, and I mentioned a few:

- Spacial awareness reduced to only what your camera see → you cannot, for instance, take cover and see what is happening around you or beyond your cover all at once. Your camera is your aim. They're one of the same. FoV can address this, but it's a patch more than a fix. It doesn't make me feel sick, but incredibly claustrophobic.

- Linked to the above, action segments can become quite chaotic and it's often hard to grasp what is going on. If you're shot from behind, or from the side and look, you may lose sight of what was happening in front of you and so on. It's easier to lose control.

- Closer perspective since you're in first person. As such, most assets and elements will be directly in your face when you move around, and that include bushes, tree branches and grass if you crouch. Best exemple would be trying to drive the quad bike in Far Cry 5. It was a nightmare with all this stuff colliding with my camera. You mentioned Mirror's Edge: how fun it was to climb pipes sloooowly and have these closeups of boring concrete textures. At least in Third Person you can look around from a distance while you climb (see Shadow of TR).

- This one is more subjective but I don't find FPS immersive. I really don't. I don't feel more "in character" by not seeing my character, that has always been a flawed logic on the same level of "silent protagonist" for me. It's quite the opposite: with the limited FoV, how the camera moves, how everything works, it actually distance myself from my own character, like not really in control. It's not close enough to reality for me to associate the first person perspective with a pair of eyes. I've found out it was slightly better in VR though.

- Aiming is a mess for me. The crosshair and camera aren't independent, they're linked together. Usually, third person games bring an aim assist given the further perspective and I've found out it made my time better. I haven't seen a FPS game with an aim assist yet. It wouldn't work. I have a higher death rate in FPS than in TPS.

- And finally I'd just wish people stopped being dismissive toward dislikes of the genre. It has nothing to do with expecting a brainless shooters, these words were never mentioned right now. But it does come with design constraints and direction. And you can deny it all you want, The Outer World will have shooting sections. This isn't a walking simulator. And I shouldn't have to justify my tastes when I've given more than enough chances to plenty different FPS. Outside a few select story-driven walking simulators, I don't have fun the minute combats and guns are involved. Mirror's Edge is probably the exception because of its linear level design and the fact the combat isn't the main element. But that doesn't mean the camera wasn't messy for me: bouncing off walls, for instance, didn't feel intuitive and that fun, and I already mentioned how awkward and slow climbing was by time.

Last edited by Isaac; 17-12-18 at 19:25.
Isaac is online now   Reply With Quote