www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 22-09-22, 23:39   #11
Tombcool
Professor

Splinter Cell is going woke.

Article as well if you don’t want to watch the video:
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/...dern-audience/

Last edited by Tombcool; 22-09-22 at 23:41.
Tombcool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-22, 01:04   #12
killchan
Professor

The acting of NPCs and villains was particulary goofy. Other than that, there's very little to rewrite. I'm more worried about mechanics, controls, UI, meters... everything.
Old 23-09-22, 03:01   #13
amiro1989
Relic Hunter

If anything, Splinter Cell is one of those series that needs to mature. The script was basically evil barbaric foreigners vs. nice little Americans, except with Conviction where the turned tables were turned.
So it's weird when YouTubers are shocked that we can't make stories like this anymore, when in fact, these stories were completely one-sided, and racist to their core.

Tom Clancy is a Ronald Reagan fan, and purveyor of conservative values and the old Splinter Cells are there to be played if it pisses anyone of.

Last edited by amiro1989; 23-09-22 at 03:04.
amiro1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-22, 04:53   #14
Ellioft
Professor

Angry

I don't see where it is said Splinter Cell will be woke.

I have played the original game on PC with my father, a bit of Pandora Tomorrow and a little of Chaos Theory.

I agree the story in the games I have played is one sided kinda like CoD it's a fantasy where Americans are perfect, it lack nuance.

Even when I was a teen I asked myself why it was always the americans the heroes ?

No wonder it will be pissing off some right wing peoples.

I think also remaking the first game with the USA vs the Georgia and China with the current political climate is quite tricky to do.

Let's see how this turns out.
Old 23-09-22, 05:02   #15
robm_2007
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
I don't see where it is said Splinter Cell will be woke.
It's just dumbass clickbait.

Any 20 year old game that is being remade could likely use some adjustments to writing and characters.
Old 23-09-22, 07:31   #16
killchan
Professor

What wouldn't be believable is a military/espionage force that doesn't see the enemy as the enemy and the country they serve as a country worth serving, but that's just me. At this point I can only hope Ubisoft doesn't get overly preachy about it, but I suppose that's expecting too much from people who went and changed monuments and statues in the name of "their were wrong".
Old 23-09-22, 14:25   #17
tomblover
Legend

I think the problem is, any attempt at nuance will most likely fall flat, since the SC games kind of depend on the black-and-white worldview to function, narratively.

It's not that the enemy won't be the enemy, and the country they serve, won't be worth serving - but there will probably be questions asked in that vein, but the game won't dwell on them because they can't get away with that, so their inclusion will be largely pointless in the end.

Kind of like reboot TR with Lara's enduring trauma. It's not "woke," it's just bad writing, but I guess "bad writing" isn't the brainless buzzword people are looking for to politicize something that was totally not political to begin with.

You know, like the Metal Gear or Fallout franchises. These are not political games, they say, and then they rush to apply politicized language to discussions about them. Funny how that works.

Last edited by tomblover; 23-09-22 at 14:29.
tomblover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-22, 09:48   #18
jajay119
Tomb Raider

All they've said is that they're changing thr story for a modern day audience: considering the political undertones of Splinter Cell 1,2 and 3 that makes sense. What was politically relevant for a story in 2001 isn't relevant now.

Its not a remake though, its a reimagining and I think they need to lean into that wording from the off.
Old 24-09-22, 13:09   #19
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
It seems the industry are making remakes to bring back franchises from the death. Prince of Persia, Spyro, Crash, Medieval, Humans Must Die, ect...
Tomb Raider is alive and kicking so there is no rush from Square. However there are other successes like Final Fantasy 7, Resident Evil 2 and 3 or Pokemon that could motivate them. If so they have to find a studio available to do so, as Crystal is already busy
The inferior RE3MAKE is nowhere near as good as the far superior RE2MAKE the RE2MAKE has sold over 10 million copies as of 2022, the RE3MAKE sold 5.7 million copies by August 2022, it's no secret that the development of the RE3MAKE suffered from a rushed development cycle
https://gamerant.com/resident-evil-3-2020-cut-content/

The RE3MAKE developers should have shown more respect to the RE3MAKE and made it more like the original game, the RE2MAKE developers showed a lot of respect for the original RE2 when developing the RE2MAKE which is why it's far superior to the RE3MAKE and always will be.

The RE2MAKE developers should have developed the RE3MAKE, had they done so we wouldn't have gotten such a 💩 game.

IMO Capcom should have scrapped development on the RE3MAKE and restarted from scratch, there is precedent for scrapping a Resident Evil game and restarting from scratch the original RE2 was scrapped shortly before release and development restarted from scratch if that hadn't happened we would never have gotten the far superior original RE2 that we got.

Development of RE4 was scrapped 4 times and restarted from scratch 4 times before the final version was released, Capcom could easily have done so with the RE3MAKE.

The RE3MAKE being released the way it was is an insult to the original RE3, if anyone asks should they try the RE3MAKE advise them not to and advise them to try the original RE3 instead at least by playing the original RE3 they will be getting the full game instead of the half game that is the RE3MAKE.

The RE3MAKE felt more like DLC released as a full game and is only 1 of 2 times where the collectors edition is far superior to the game it came with, the other game being The Last Guardian.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:10   #20
jajay119
Tomb Raider

RE3make feels like the expansion to RE2 that OG RE3 was supposed to be, but wasn't.