Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 06-08-19, 01:43   #11
Woops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
As I understand it, TR5 also doesn't take kindly to modding anyway.
yea most levels barely fit the limits
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-19, 01:57   #12
SoraSakai
Inactive

Sure, why not

I’d love a HD remaster of all the games ^.^
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-19, 07:03   #13
ggctuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
yea most levels barely fit the limits
That's not exactly what I mean.

I once tried a simple outfit swap and it created an invisible wall that barred progress in Streets of Rome.
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-19, 10:41   #14
Dustie

Which tool did you use? I heard FexMerger can corrupt level files sometimes... I did try in on Streets of Rome to swap the outfit, but I didn't playtest the entire level afterwards.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-19, 10:57   #15
ggctuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Which tool did you use? I heard FexMerger can corrupt level files sometimes... I did try in on Streets of Rome to swap the outfit, but I didn't playtest the entire level afterwards.
This was ages ago, so I'm not certain, but maybe. I do remember there are two compiled level 'WAD' editors but one of them doesn't open TRC files.
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-19, 14:57   #16
ESCachuli

Quote:
It was optimal in that era, packing all data in a single file made it possible for the games to avoid loading during levels and TR kind of stood out for this.
Sure, but nowadays it isn't optimal anymore, having the same texture in every level that uses it instead of a common file.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-19, 12:07   #17
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
I'd like it, but with updated models, geometry (keep the "grid system" but make the blocks less "blocky" if it makes any sense), lightning and textures.

Something like those Minecraft RTX mods.
This is basically what I'd love to see for every classic game
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-19, 14:54   #18
ESCachuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
This is basically what I'd love to see for every classic game
I mean, it can't be THAT hard to import the classic levels (at least TR1 and 2) to a new editor, give them updated lightning (so it doesn't flicker like it does now in OpenLara because of the multiple bulbs), and give the edges of some blocks (not even all of them, just the ones that would make sense) some round-ish look.

I mean, it is a lot of work, but not an impossible task. I'd dare to say it is even easier than doing a new level on TRLE.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-19, 21:25   #19
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

Quote:
The problem with TR1-5 remastering, even of the simplest kind, is how the assets are stored, with textures being probably the most difficult to work with. They are scattered across level files and despite the fact many level files share a lot of the tiles, they are still stored separately. That means every single tile would have to be accounted for and replaced per each level file.
All attempts at modding textures we have seen here use the method of swapping the 256x256 pixel texture pages with high-resolution replacements, but this means every tile on each such page has to be replaced one by one... This is exhausting and very likely the reason why the iOS ports texture swaps were never finished (they either run out of time or were simply too tired to continue).
In order to do this in a more efficient way, tools would have to be made to swap out textures across multiple files, as well as models if they were to be modified. This is probably achievable, but requires work and mostly good insight into the games' codebases and file formats. This is more likely to be done by community members, some of which have just the right skill (but might not really have the time) to do this, than by any commercial studio at the request of the IP holder.
I absolutely do insist for them to take care of doing this as much as I will believe that they will have more than enough time to improve so much of the resolution with the textures & polygons, etc. instead of remaking the 1-5 classic Core Design games to the point that they'll otherwise literally have no choice but to avoid all signs of imitation right after when Core Design have developed their own Tomb Raider games from their own perspective as it has a lot to relate right on the keyword called remake. That's why it's better for them to get remastered as it will probably take a certain period of time to get all of that done so all of the 5 classic games will finally be ready for its release which will sound like so much fun with me playing with them then.
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-19, 21:46   #20
Yeauxleaux

So... little... punctuation @_@
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote