Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 08-11-19, 20:58   #21
Jeff_aod

I don't really see this happening. It's their money maker. Plus, Foundation has 2 branches now, which are Shadow branch & Rise branch. The latter one is currently being updated & used in Marvel's Avengers.
Jeff_aod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-20, 13:37   #22
Gh0stBlade

Making small progress here and there, I'm looking for programmers and reverse engineers.

Cheers.
Gh0stBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-20, 15:16   #23
Tomb Raidering

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post

Making small progress here and there, I'm looking for programmers and reverse engineers.

Cheers.
Can you simply explain what you’re doing in such a way that a noob like me can understand?
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-20, 15:52   #24
Gh0stBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
Can you simply explain what you’re doing in such a way that a noob like me can understand?
At the moment I'm working on a custom tool to load "zones" (levels) into a custom engine.

Cheers.
Old 12-04-20, 05:49   #25
XXIIXX
Inactive

I don't know the specifics, but on the 20th Anniversary book they say that up until developping the Reboot they've been using the same engine since 1993 and that even their current engine still has lines of code all the way back from 1995 so I'm pretty sure they're still using it and won't be releasing it. I'm not sure how these things work so don't quote me on it but I think it's something like that.
XXIIXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 07:36   #26
DunHill
Inactive

Quote:
At the moment I'm working on a custom tool to load "zones" (levels) into a custom engine.

Cheers.
Coorect me if I'm wrong, would that mean exporting zones from the game to 3Ds Max/Maya/Blender, editing them, and exporting them back to the game ? Or having them export to a completely new custom engine that would allow people to edit them easier ?
Either way, very good initiative and work
DunHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 16:28   #27
GRiannisRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunHill View Post
Coorect me if I'm wrong, would that mean exporting zones from the game to 3Ds Max/Maya/Blender, editing them, and exporting them back to the game ? Or having them export to a completely new custom engine that would allow people to edit them easier ?
If we could change the levels with 3D Max/maya etc how would we be able to put colliders to the level after it is edited for the character not to fall under the mesh is the question ... because I suppose that the colliders will stay the same within the game . Or am I wrong ?

Last edited by GRiannisRaider; 12-04-20 at 16:47.
GRiannisRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-20, 12:29   #28
Gh0stBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXIIXX View Post
I don't know the specifics, but on the 20th Anniversary book they say that up until developping the Reboot they've been using the same engine since 1993 and that even their current engine still has lines of code all the way back from 1995 so I'm pretty sure they're still using it and won't be releasing it. I'm not sure how these things work so don't quote me on it but I think it's something like that.
Yes, it does have lines of code from very old games like Soul Reaver and Gex. Legacy code is polluting the engine if you ask me. They released the engine to the public since you've seen games running on it. Just they haven't released any official editing tools. All tools used to modify the engine data has been custom written by fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunHill View Post
Yeah I think that's their workflow. They make the base meshes in Maya then import them into the level editor itself and customise it to a specific game using game objects and markups etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiannisRaider View Post
If we could change the levels with 3D Max/maya etc how would we be able to put colliders to the level after it is edited for the character not to fall under the mesh is the question ... because I suppose that the colliders will stay the same within the game . Or am I wrong ?
There is a collision mesh section. I will probably make it possible to modify the collisions.

==================================

A look at the editor so far:

Though it will take many years to build. I'm in the process of loading the room models.

Cheers.
Old 16-04-20, 14:07   #29
SoraSakai
Inactive

Why is no one talking about or reacting to this?
This is amazing.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-20, 14:12   #30
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halston View Post
Crystal Dynamics have made interviews about how the Foundation engine is one of the top ones they've seen out there
They haven't seen a lot of engines then. But seriously: Of course they're saying that to make their games look better. When Ubisoft switched/upgraded engines within the Assassin's Creed series, they also boasted about the new/upgraded engine being so awesome and one of the best out there. But then the first games made with the new engines (AC III and AC Unity respectively) were buggy and badly optimized messes. And when Crystal made big upgrades to their engine for Tomb Raider Underworld, that game also turned out buggy and badly optimized, which is why they didn't make THAT many changed for TR2013 and played it safe for Rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXIIXX View Post
Them using the same engine since the 90s has nothing to do with them not released source codes to the public. ID Software released the source codes for most of their games and they use the same engine since Quake 1 back in 1996.

Quote:
Yeah I think that's their workflow. They make the base meshes in Maya then import them into the level editor itself and customise it to a specific game using game objects and markups etc.
Is that why collisions in the Crystal TR games are so awkward and why Lara can't just grab every ledge? Ever since I played Anniversary I assumed that their engine is probably kinda janky, what with TRA having so many weird glitches like the one where Lara pulls herself up onto a platform and falls right back down and weird design choices like Lara only being able to grab the white ledges, even when not-white ledges right next to them look exactly the same save for the colour (and yes, I know that the colour doesn't determine which ledge is grabbable and which isn't, but without the white paint it would be even harder to guess which ledges can be grabbed and which can't).

Last edited by Wooxman; 16-04-20 at 14:13.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote