Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 20-07-18, 17:03   #2031
drbunnig

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Simplicityy View Post
I've tried listening to some metal music. I just....I can't enjoy it. I can get into heavier rock, or borderline symphonic rock/metal, as in the Christian band RED, but that's almost it. I've enjoyed very little heavy metal, death metal, or any other kind of metal. It's the near constant growling, machine gun-like staccato of the bass guitar/drum, an the too fast paced rhythm of music. There is some I may have liked when I was younger and may like today. Still...it's hard for me to listen for more than a few seconds.
I'm not sure if I'm misreading, but it sounds like you're using metal as a term to encompass the more extreme subgenres of metal. There are a lot of subgenres that do not have some/all of the features you describe as negatives.

With these extreme genres, there are bands that act as good gateways for the sort of vocal style they use. This could be bands that use a mix of harsh and clean vocals (eg Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache is a good album) or music that is very catchy so the vocals become bearable (and then you sort of grow to love them). Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper or some of the early-ish In Flames stuff such as Clayman or Whoracle are good examples for this. For the faster stuff, something like Slayer - South of Heaven or Seasons in the Abyss could be good, as it has a mix of fast and slow songs, so you may grow to enjoy the quicker stuff if you give it a few spins.

I'm not sure if you're open to recommendations or not. I also apologise if some of these are obvious, but you never know really. Ozzman made a good suggestion above with Dio (solo + Black Sabbath albums), he has a very rich and passionate voice. The below albums would also be worth a look. They're just off the top of my head and hopefully avoid the sort of stuff you dislike:

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz, Diary of a Madman
Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Master of Reality, Sabotage
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Brave New World
Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth, The Chemical Wedding
Metallica - Metallica, Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
Megadeth - Youthanasia, Countdown to Extinction
Godsmack - Faceless, The Oracle
Edguy - Tinnitus Sanctus, Space Police
Avantasia - The Scarecrow, Ghostlights
Type O Negative - October Rust
Sentenced - The Cold White Light
Battle Beast - Battle Beast
Black Label Society - The Blessed Hellride
Avatairum - Hurricanes and Halos
Savage Messiah - Hands of Fate
Wolf - Ravenous
drbunnig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-18, 07:25   #2032
HD Simplicityy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra xb View Post
I can relate...I love some of the metal genres but others I just can't get into. I can tolerate a certain amount of growling, but only if it is a small amount. Too much of that and I feel like I'm watching The Exorcist.

The bands I like are mostly symphonic/gothic/celtic metal with female lead singers (sorry guys, I just like their voices better). I've also been getting into pirate metal lately as well. I've always been a fan of fusion music anyway, so these styles just seem to fit me well.

My current faves...

LEAH
Alestorm
Epica
Rage of Light
Celtica (bagpipes and metal)
Evanescence
Sirenia
Delain
Within Temptation
Leaves' Eyes
Nightwish
Exit Eden
Mystica Girls
Amaranthe
Lyriel
Ansottica
Storm Seeker
Visions of Atlantis
Love female singers' voices too; I love listening to both great male and female singers. The only things about Evanescense is their famous debut album, and one of the tracks from it I've heard a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbunnig View Post
I'm not sure if I'm misreading, but it sounds like you're using metal as a term to encompass the more extreme subgenres of metal. There are a lot of subgenres that do not have some/all of the features you describe as negatives.

With these extreme genres, there are bands that act as good gateways for the sort of vocal style they use. This could be bands that use a mix of harsh and clean vocals (eg Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache is a good album) or music that is very catchy so the vocals become bearable (and then you sort of grow to love them). Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper or some of the early-ish In Flames stuff such as Clayman or Whoracle are good examples for this. For the faster stuff, something like Slayer - South of Heaven or Seasons in the Abyss could be good, as it has a mix of fast and slow songs, so you may grow to enjoy the quicker stuff if you give it a few spins.

I'm not sure if you're open to recommendations or not. I also apologise if some of these are obvious, but you never know really. Ozzman made a good suggestion above with Dio (solo + Black Sabbath albums), he has a very rich and passionate voice. The below albums would also be worth a look. They're just off the top of my head and hopefully avoid the sort of stuff you dislike:

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz, Diary of a Madman
Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Master of Reality, Sabotage
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Brave New World
Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth, The Chemical Wedding
Metallica - Metallica, Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
Megadeth - Youthanasia, Countdown to Extinction
Godsmack - Faceless, The Oracle
Edguy - Tinnitus Sanctus, Space Police
Avantasia - The Scarecrow, Ghostlights
Type O Negative - October Rust
Sentenced - The Cold White Light
Battle Beast - Battle Beast
Black Label Society - The Blessed Hellride
Avatairum - Hurricanes and Halos
Savage Messiah - Hands of Fate
Wolf - Ravenous

Yeah....you're right about me mixing them. Good point. Didn't think of it.
To tell you the truth, I mainly have a hard time finding enjoyment in secular/mainstream music. Some songs I like because they sound cool, or they're theme songs to video games (Still Alive - Mirrors Edge and Blow Me Away - Halo 2). I've thought much of mainstream music lacked any good meaning, much of any wholesome lyrics, and wasn't just about drugs or sex or just downright negative things in life. Of course some music with those themes are really good songs, and songs with none of those ideas in mind but are still fun to listen to.

In the end, I'm probably quite mistaken about this.

Here are a few of the songs that are pretty much the heaviest I like, in terms of rock. I could explore new music later on:

Collide, Savior, Imperfection, and Open Wounds - Skillet, with Collide being one of my favorite Skillet songs and one of my all time favorite songs.

Yours Again, Confession, Death of Me, Impostor, Shadow and Soul, Darkest Part, What you Keep Alive (arguably their heaviest song to date), Fight to Forget - RED, with Yours Again one of my all time favorite songs, and my favorite song by them.

Trying to think of more to say....too tired. It's past midnight lol.
HD Simplicityy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-18, 22:56   #2033
PirateFromPeru

Am I crazy or did this thread disappear a while back? I know I don't log in much (maybe once every couple months lol) but last time I was here I could not for the life of me find this thread. I also noticed the whole politics section is gone. I feel out of the loop....

Anyways back on topic, Cannibal Corpse is playing near me in November and I'm going to try to get some tickets to see them. Hate Eternal and Harm's Way are touring with them and I'm a fan of Hate Eternal as well. Exciting!

Some new music I picked up recently include Ghost's new album Prequelle. It pretty much picks up on the direction they were going with their last one so it met my expectations. Got an album by a band called Audrey Horne (Twin Peaks reference which is what grabbed my attention) and they are a Norwegian band that plays pretty much classic style hard rock/heavy metal with super catchy songs and very Thin Lizzy-ish riffs. They are quite enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXax8uBLluo

I think the most impressive album I picked up though was Schammasch's Triangle. I came across them on youtube and was impressed enough to purchase the album off Amazon. Triangle is 3 discs, each one with a particular theme and musical style. It's a pretty interesting listen with some of it sounding similar to say Behemoth while other songs have weird chanting vocals and even instrumental world music. It is all very atmospheric and moody and I'm loving it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3xZDdVq2kQ
PirateFromPeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-18, 05:15   #2034
Paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra xb View Post
Ok...how could I not know there was a metal; thread in here?

I can relate...I love some of the metal genres but others I just can't get into. I can tolerate a certain amount of growling, but only if it is a small amount. Too much of that and I feel like I'm watching The Exorcist.

The bands I like are mostly symphonic/gothic/celtic metal with female lead singers (sorry guys, I just like their voices better). I've also been getting into pirate metal lately as well. I've always been a fan of fusion music anyway, so these styles just seem to fit me well.

My current faves...

LEAH
Alestorm
Epica
Rage of Light
Celtica (bagpipes and metal)
Evanescence
Sirenia
Delain
Within Temptation
Leaves' Eyes
Nightwish
Exit Eden
Mystica Girls
Amaranthe
Lyriel
Ansottica
Storm Seeker
Visions of Atlantis
All great bands. I understand why growling vocals in high amounts aren't for everyone. Me I love the extreme vocals and bands but it's an acquired taste. lol

The best thing about metal is it offers a multitude of sounds for people who don't like those vocals or extreme music overall.
Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-18, 20:33   #2035
ozzman

my new favorite German Band
ozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-19, 05:57   #2036
Paddy

https://media.nuclearblast.de/shopla...velations.html

Bumped for relevant new album info. Holy ****. New Possessed album out May 10.
Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 15:00   #2037
HarleyCroft

Just found out about Vended.. Corey Taylor's son Griffin is the vocalist and he sounds exactly like his Dad. I would give a kidney to hear him perform the entirety of Iowa

This song piqued my interest as an early one. It's not perfect but I'm going to follow their output for awhile They really kinda do sound like early Slipknot without the rage but the talent is there.

Twiztid has been getting more quitar driven lately which I like but I hope they go back to horrorcore if I had to choose

I find with metal it's easy to stop seeking out new stuff more so than any other genre. I hope this thread gets attention, if memory serves it's how I found out about SepticFlesh and I love them ♡
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 18:04   #2038
Tombcool

These are two metal bands I’m loving recently:

Tombcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-22, 02:01   #2039
HarleyCroft

Those are lovely Calmed me down a bit too, they're going on the iPod
This one's on the Breathe Deep playlist too

Have anything with dirty vocals?
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-22, 03:05   #2040
Tombcool

Thanks Harley.

What do you mean by dirty vocals?

Something like this with dirty lyrics or ….

… something like this with really extreme screaming vocals:

… or something with raspy vocals like this:

Last edited by Tombcool; 09-01-22 at 03:33.
Tombcool is offline   Reply With Quote