www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 17-08-22, 02:08   #11
killchan
Professor

Quote:
As the lengthy title says ... do you think classic Lara can be mixed with graphics aiming for maximum realism?
Of course. Every single choice in terms of character design is deliberate.

Do not believe anyone who says "well uhhhh this character looks so basic and boring and plain because the artstyle is photorealistic and that's how real people look". No. Everything you see on the screen is the product of a creative decision. They could have made a photorealistic Classic Lara if they wanted to.
Old 17-08-22, 02:42   #12
Error96
Archaeologist

Getting a better Lara than we have had in the reboot gen has got to be top priority. Looks wise we have women like Angelina Jolie and like Allison Carroll who in the real world look spot on for Lara Croft. Of course that could be created in video game. Character-wise we have James Bond/ Jason Bourne/ Jack Bower, we have Marvel superheroes in a real world setting, we even Sonic characters in a real world. It can be done. I think it's a positive if Lara is shown as 'over the top' as a show-off nature it is part of Lara.

I believe that the idea that classic Lara and great graphics are mutually exclusive is nonsence. Actual archaeology isn't as exciting compared to supernatural monsters and artifacts that make you shoot energy balls everywhere. Hypothetically if the choice was there getting classic Lara back would be far more important than graphics improvements. I want an injection of fun again in TR, to do the crazy stunts, all the sassy stuff etc. Is far better than a hollow 'relatable' character no matter how amazing they got the graphics.
Old 17-08-22, 03:47   #13
EchoTR
Hobbyist

I think you guys are reading it a bit more literal than I meant it.

Of course everything is a design decision, and one could decide to stay as true as possible to classic Lara while going for max. realism in graphics.
The question is if that would be a good mix.

Thatīs where I tend to say no.

Imagine a realistic visual approach like with Survivor-Lara, but she would do handstands after an exhausting climb, or 20 backflips while shooting.
Sure, you can animate that, but frankly itīd be rediculous and unsuitable (unless she suddenly has superpowers).
In the old games it was no problem at all, because they didnīt aim for realism to begin with.

Same goes for the body shape ... the closer a realistic Lara would go to the classic Lara shape, the more silly it would look.
I can look at classic Lara and think "wow".
Do the same on a realistic model and Iīd think "wow, she spent half her life having surgery".
Even original Laraīs attitude would feel different in a realistic context.

Of course there are a lot of blends between the two extremes.
But I donīt think you can just simply take old Lara and put her in a setting aiming for realism and it would just work.
EchoTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-22, 04:09   #14
Moon-Safari
Relic Hunter

But it's just a game. When they forget that, the fun is gone. And that's what happened with the reboot. It was so try-hard, that they forgot to entertain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
I need this to stay alive. No other medium, no other franchise, no other character can deliver the power and magic of this image that sparked the imaginations of an entire generation, and no other character or diluted version of Lara ever will. I don't need them to keep trying to reinvent the wheel. Just deliver this mythical ethereal being, please!
Old 17-08-22, 05:45   #15
EchoTR
Hobbyist

I wouldnīt say the reboot wasnīt fun in terms of gameplay.
But they sucked almost every bit of unapologetic fun out of the character.
Old 17-08-22, 06:02   #16
robm_2007
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
This looks really good! Source?
Old 17-08-22, 06:16   #17
Joe Derivative
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTR View Post
Do the same on a realistic model and Iīd think "wow, she spent half her life having surgery".
No, it's more like she was born with a genetic anomaly that makes her waist stupidly tiny.
Joe Derivative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-22, 06:35   #18
Moon-Safari
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Derivative View Post
No, it's more like she was born with a genetic anomaly that makes her waist stupidly tiny.
Yea that's how I see it, just super lucky like Elizabeth Taylor's violet eyes. A rare expression of beauty that only comes around once every 100 years. And she totally takes it for granted doing stunts underground where no one else but the player can see her ironically. You're alone in the tombs with this exotic animal in their habitat experiencing a world wonder on her own. There is such a captivating alchemy built into the original concept of the character that doesn't even need to be touched. Maybe keeping her asexual contributes partly to that feeling of exclusivity with the player.

Last edited by Moon-Safari; 17-08-22 at 06:41.
Moon-Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-22, 07:36   #19
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm_2007 View Post
This looks really good! Source?
Ah surprisingly this was the original back in 2016...

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...&postcount=659

But then it got edited recently...

https://twitter.com/kala2k7/status/1...eEcAFf_xnz9yXA

It's pretty perfect imo. That ^ is how you modernize a classic character. Not mop head.
Old 17-08-22, 09:49   #20
EchoTR
Hobbyist

Please donīt hate me for saying it, but imo that image doesnīt look like Lara at all.
She looks rather spanish than british.
And the amount of lipstick is out of place. Like her body went to war but her face went to a cocktail party.