Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Technical Support

Old 01-10-20, 07:58   #1
Avalon SARL

Question Complete Privacy When Browsing my Home Internet

I hope someone has solid answers to what I want to explain.

At home, our internet (ethernet) actually comes from my brother's house who is at Ground 3, and we are the ground floor.

My ethernet is connected to his modem/ router (whatever it is called) through a cable and we split the bill each month between us.

So basically speaking, traffic data passes through him, and if his internet goes out I will also be out of internet and not the opposite.

Few days ago, he called me and asked if this is my IP which he has noticed has consumed alot of the download/upload limit.

So he told me to open youtube and try any video; and when I did, he said, yes that is your IP, it has turned active and is consuming data.

I don't know what exactly he saw and on what (he is not an IT at all), I don't know if he saw whether I was on youtube or he just saw a sign that I am active...but I felt like I was being spied on, or there could be a possibility that he wants to start spying.

It still could be that he wants to monitor the downloading capacity because our bill is being high each month

Anyway, is the way we setup our connections means that he can see what I actually do on the internet, and see which websites I visit, my job applications, my social media profiles etc...?

If so, how can I protect myself.

Thanks
Avalon SARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-20, 08:19   #2
ANoDE
Golden

With sufficient knowledge, it's quite easy to monitor what you are doing on the internet. The things he can always see - even without lots of tools, etc. is _what pages/sites_ you visit. If your connection to these sites is insecure (http instead of https for example), he could also spy on the content.
If your connection is https secured, he is able to see which sites you visited (and when), but not what you did on there (he can't see form data, like what you replied in a thread or something, or your usernames and passwords). But even if the site is using https - If the content you watch is freely accessible (without requring a specific account to watch), he can just enter the urls you visit in his browser to see what you saw.

Since he acts as your provider, it's near impossible yo hide how much data you use each month/week/ day, as probably his router (the one you're connected to) can track data usage (this is why he saw your IP address was consuming data).

If you want to hide your browsing habits completely from your brother, you'd probably have to set up some kind of VPN. This way, all traffic is encrypted on your machine - so he won't even be able to see which pages you visited; he'll only see the connection to the VPN in his logs. There are public solutions available, but most of them will cost you money.
Also, TOR Browser is designed to hide your traffic and identity from the outside world, but since it can be used to access the darknet and do all kinds of illegal stuff, usage might be frowned upon / even be illegal in your country (since you'd also hide your browsing habits from the authorities).

If you feat your brother might be spying on you, getting your own internet contract with a seperate physical connection is probably the easier option (but of course will also cost money)

Last edited by ANoDE; 01-10-20 at 08:24.
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-20, 09:18   #3
Avalon SARL

Thanks alot

I will try set up my own separate connection then
Avalon SARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 11:31   #4
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

I am not sure of the internet providers in Lebanon, but here in the West we can have a 'pay by data consumed' contract, which you have.

Or you can get a monthly contract that has unlimited broadband. That way you need not worry about the amount of data consumed per month. And you and your brother just half the cost each month.

I have unlimited broadband, so do not need to worry about data consumed.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-20, 21:29   #5
Mek

I would go in the way The Great Chi suggested: a contract with unlimited broadband. It is the best. However, if you want to ensure that your brother doesn't spy on you, then you must get your own Internet connection.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-20, 08:39   #6
b122251

I route pretty much all my browsing through Tor (among doing other things to make myself harder to track online). Tor would definitely do the trick for your situation, but there is a sometimes significant loss of speed when using it. I'm just giving it as a possible option. Though setting up a contract with a broadband company is probably more convenient and enough.

Last edited by b122251; 15-10-20 at 08:40.
b122251 is offline   Reply With Quote