www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 18-10-20, 21:08   #3381
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I honestly never had any trouble with the dogs apart from the one section where you're in the gardens behind all the houses and that's mainly because the AI on when they would recognise you was really inconsistent. In other sections you just kept moving and they'd eventually lose the scent. I didnt kill a single dog till Alice </3. Granted I dont know what they're like on higher difficulties than standard.
I always like to clear the entire area so that I can peacefully hunt out all the collectibles, but yeah, if I were doing it on grounded (as DragonSlayer is) I'd probably go full stealth and evade as much as possible.

You were concerned about the poor dogs, weren't you? I suprised myself at how quickly they just were another enemy. In other games I have felt differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek View Post
As far as I remember, I usually killed dogs with melee weapons. I imagine it is hard to eliminate them using stealth. You have to be quicker than when fighting only with humans.

Nevertheless, I think that the introduction of dogs was a good idea. Fighting them gave a lot of adrenaline and fun.

I even remember an encounter with a dog from the first part of the series. It was interesting, because you didn't know what to expect: if the dog would attack or not, or if it would be infected. Of course, it turned out that dogs didn't have greater role in gameplay of the first game, however.
Yeah, I expect it's impossible to stealth them. How I took them out depended on what else what was happening because using melee often alerted everyone. Whereas if you lobbed a molotov, the AI gave up awfully quickly trying to find you in the grass.

I too think the introduction of dogs was a good idea. I loved them because they made me tense whenever they were around, just seeing that white scent path from them to me would freak me out. It upped the stakes a bit in human enemy areas.

I'm kind of glad they didn't make the dogs infected though. It'd be so unusual for a fungal disease to jump from insects into humans in the first place, for it to then jump again into other animals... that's really unlikely.

Plus, I think it might have gone too Resident Evil-y if they'd done that. Even with the hospital creature, which I loved, I did think, this is frightening and a good homage, but once per game is enough. I want the TLOU world to be its own and not converge into another game if you know what I mean.

I also hated (in a good way) the stalkers and the scars. Despite lots of people saying they kept everything the same as the first game, I actually think they did some good introductions of new enemies in TLOU2.
Old 18-10-20, 21:39   #3382
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Have you gotten to the dogs yet? Because I never found a stealthy way to take them out, I always molotov'd them (I know, overkill, but they scared me) or had to shoot them or something. I never found a way to creep up on them on ordinary difficulties nevermind grounded.

The early shamblers you can avoid if I'm remembering correctly?
I've not made it that far yet and I don't have anything to craft a Molotov, anything I get I save to craft a medkit, I'll try and sneak around the dogs when I get there and see what happens, if I ever craft Molotov's I'm going to save them for the infected hybrid that Abby fights, Bloaters and those big guys with the hammers you mentioned a few posts back.

If only squeaky toys were easily available in the game just throw them as a distraction and sneak past or if you found a pet shop some dog biscuits.

The first two Shamblers I encountered were too difficult to sneak by undetected, the slightest move from Ellie made them detect me immediately, after 6 failed attempts at sneaking past, I decided to fight them they were surprisingly easy to kill I thought they would be more of a challenge especially given that they look like they are halfway there to becoming a Bloater, 1 shotgun shell and 3 sniper rifle bullets and down they went.

Last edited by DragonSlayer; 19-10-20 at 12:25.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-20, 12:33   #3383
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

After I got over first time seeing them, I always found the shamblers not too scary and reasonably easy to deal with. Bloaters from the first game are definitely worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
I can use the listen ability on grounded which I wasn't expecting given how it was completely disabled in the last game on grounded, the only difference between the games being that the listen ability has a limited range in TLOU2.
Hey, are you sure you can use the listen ability on grounded because I just restarted my grounded playthrough and I can't do it?

I thought it might be because I wasn't playing grounded on NG+ so I started grounded on NG+ and I still can't use listen ability.

Have you changed your settings in the accessbility section or something? I just thought I'd flag it to you because will you get the trophy if you've done that?
Old 20-10-20, 14:17   #3384
TR1249
Archaeologist

Just found out that the Rat King was motion captured and it blew my mind
Old 20-10-20, 17:00   #3385
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Quote:
After I got over first time seeing them, I always found the shamblers not too scary and reasonably easy to deal with. Bloaters from the first game are definitely worse.

Hey, are you sure you can use the listen ability on grounded because I just restarted my grounded playthrough and I can't do it?

I thought it might be because I wasn't playing grounded on NG+ so I started grounded on NG+ and I still can't use listen ability.

Have you changed your settings in the accessbility section or something? I just thought I'd flag it to you because will you get the trophy if you've done that?
I'm 100% sure that I can use listen mode on grounded it just has a limited range I used it to check on the position of the first Shamblers I killed I double checked before replying to your post it could just be a glitch it's a very useful glitch and one I plan on exploiting for however long it lasts, press R1 and see what happens.

It should make the fight with the infected hybrid in Abby's section a little bit easier being able to keep an eye on it's position.

I googled TLOU2 grounded listen mode and the search results all say that listen mode on grounded is disabled, can someone other than me and blackmoor who is playing on grounded check and see if their listen mode is somehow active on grounded difficulty.

I haven't changed anything in the accessibility section I bought all the unlockables infinite ammo and so on, they're all locked on grounded so that I can't use them.
Old 20-10-20, 20:14   #3386
Mek
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
I'm 100% sure that I can use listen mode on grounded it just has a limited range I used it to check on the position of the first Shamblers I killed I double checked before replying to your post it could just be a glitch it's a very useful glitch and one I plan on exploiting for however long it lasts, press R1 and see what happens.

It should make the fight with the infected hybrid in Abby's section a little bit easier being able to keep an eye on it's position.

I googled TLOU2 grounded listen mode and the search results all say that listen mode on grounded is disabled, can someone other than me and blackmoor who is playing on grounded check and see if their listen mode is somehow active on grounded difficulty.

I haven't changed anything in the accessibility section I bought all the unlockables infinite ammo and so on, they're all locked on grounded so that I can't use them.
I was curious about the grounded mode. I've found some information here. According to that site, the Listen Mode is only altered in The Last of Us Part II. The references say that the information comes directly from the description in the New Game menu.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-20, 20:50   #3387
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

@dragonslayer, I think you have a lucky glitch. I want it too,

Because I can already tell I am really unlikely to do this on grounded. Even easy clicker moments have become fraught with danger on grounded.

I can't imagine what the later levels will be like on this mode.
Old 21-10-20, 11:26   #3388
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Quote:
@dragonslayer, I think you have a lucky glitch. I want it too,

Because I can already tell I am really unlikely to do this on grounded. Even easy clicker moments have become fraught with danger on grounded.

I can't imagine what the later levels will be like on this mode.
I'd say give grounded a go and try and kill everything by stealth as much as possible and don't be afraid to run sometimes it's better to run instead of stay and fight that's how I made it out of the TV station after 6 failed attempts at killing the bad guys I decided to run and luckily managed to avoid all incoming enemy weapons fire.

I did the same with the second lot of Shamblers that I ran into, take your time don't rush things and try the trial and error approach and see what does and doesn't work for you.

It'll be slightly tougher during the parts where Ellie is on her own for a while like when Dina stays behind at the theatre.

The Rat King and the big guys with the hammers are what I'm dreading having to fight though I'll probably just run past the hammer guys and see what happens, only fight when it's absolutely necessary otherwise just run like hell.

Try again with listen mode on grounded according to Mek listen mode is altered in TLOU2 not disabled entirely it's range is just limited to the immediate area surrounding Ellie, the range and durability of listen mode is what's inaccessible while playing on grounded difficulty.
Old 21-10-20, 13:06   #3389
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

I'm still really early, I just got out of the Hotel. I'll give it a bit longer and see how I get on with it but I can't see me having the patience to deal with the really difficult bits that come later on. We'll see.

The only way I could get listen ability to work is to tinker with the accessibility settings. If I press R1 nothing happens, Ellie doesn't even crouch. And if I do that it may affect the trophy.... assuming I could ever finish it anyway. So unfortunately for me it's no listen ability.

What's really bugging me though is not being able to see health status. Not knowing if I should really take a medipack or not.

How far are you now?
Old 21-10-20, 17:48   #3390
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Quote:
I'm still really early, I just got out of the Hotel. I'll give it a bit longer and see how I get on with it but I can't see me having the patience to deal with the really difficult bits that come later on. We'll see.

The only way I could get listen ability to work is to tinker with the accessibility settings. If I press R1 nothing happens, Ellie doesn't even crouch. And if I do that it may affect the trophy.... assuming I could ever finish it anyway. So unfortunately for me it's no listen ability.

What's really bugging me though is not being able to see health status. Not knowing if I should really take a medipack or not.

How far are you now?
I'm back in the theatre after the flashback with Ellie and Joel in The Wyoming Museum of Science and History, going to continue with the next part of the game later.

When I press R1 Ellie crouches and the environment around her turns grey in colour and you should hear a sound that's how you know listen mode is working on grounded.

Ellie's health status hasn't been much of an issue for me so far, I'm taking out most enemies be stealth only fighting when it's absolutely totally necessary, my advice get good at knowing when to duck behind cover I'm mostly able to anticipate when an enemy is about to open fire and hide in time to avoid being hit.

That's how I made it past the sniper in the Suburbs on grounded in the first game, the sniper's firing pattern was predictable he rarely if ever landed a shot on me, when not out in the open I would hide in the houses on the right and kill the few guys who came after me then I would run out of the last house and make a run for the back garden of the house across the road scavenge for supplies before continuing to the house the sniper was hiding in.