Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Fan and Community Showcase

Old 24-08-17, 23:45   #11
Matie

It's been a while and I haven't even drawn anything worthwhile for a long time except for these two maybe:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=412110744
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=838759960

There was a fun little challenge recently that reignited my love for drawing and made me try something new - digital art. There were two linearts available on the official TR media channels which were waiting to be coloured, so I attempted to colour one of them. It was quite a struggle to do with the mouse, but I managed to finish it in time (in a bit of a rushed state): https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGPfVpkXkAA92I1.jpg The lineart is made by Tholia.

Soon after this I ran across a post where people were discussing which drawing tablet they used. I've always wanted to try them and I got one for myself, now I'm addicted I'm still practising, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.

Here's a WIP image of what I'm working on right now. Can't wait to get the lips done!

(Such an improvement compared to this monstrosity I attempted to do using a mouse about 7 years ago )
Matie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-17, 09:32   #12
dinne

Wow, this is very promising! Have you drawn personally the wrinkles around the eyes? Or have you taken a photo and then photoedited and redrawn it over it?
They really att the realism. And the differently colored aread of the skin are well done (I can see the lights are more yellowish and the shadows are more magenta). And the eye sockets are well done because often people don't care much about the shadows of the deepness of it (near the nose, I mean).
May I suggest... to add more 3D effect to the eyebrows, so a bit of light on come hairs (black and thick hairs are usually a bit shiny, not sharply like metal lol but anyway you should see some lights).
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-17, 11:39   #13
RWTSB

I am trying to do digital art and I think you did a fantastic job. Very admirable and inspirational to me as an artist. Thank You!!

Any advice on digital art?
RWTSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-17, 12:57   #14
lizardspock110

wow gosh this is stunning!!
lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 13:13   #15
Only TR lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matie View Post
I got a charcoal set a few days ago after Christmas, I can't imagine how I could live without it and draw with basic pencils all along... So I tried to draw Tarja Turunen with it and here's how it turned out
Just keep on drawing. I wish I had more time for that. haha I had the same feeling about the pencils when I bought fancy new ones BTW are you a Nightwish fan?
Only TR lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 21:12   #16
Matie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinne View Post
Wow, this is very promising! Have you drawn personally the wrinkles around the eyes? Or have you taken a photo and then photoedited and redrawn it over it?
They really att the realism. And the differently colored aread of the skin are well done (I can see the lights are more yellowish and the shadows are more magenta). And the eye sockets are well done because often people don't care much about the shadows of the deepness of it (near the nose, I mean).
May I suggest... to add more 3D effect to the eyebrows, so a bit of light on come hairs (black and thick hairs are usually a bit shiny, not sharply like metal lol but anyway you should see some lights).
Thank you I used a screenshot for reference, I drew the lineart over that. When painting her face, I just looked at the original and tried to pay attention to the smallest details when painting. I picked the main colours I worked with from the original pic.
Since this is my first ever proper digital work, I heavily rely on using references. With lots of practising, I hope I can rely on them less and less.

The eyebrows where part of the lineart, which is why they were just plain black, but thanks for the tip, I paid extra attention to putting some light on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWTSB View Post
I am trying to do digital art and I think you did a fantastic job. Very admirable and inspirational to me as an artist. Thank You!!

Any advice on digital art?
Thank you so much, it's great to hear that it inspired you! I saw your thread and I think your art is amazing! I think you actually know much more than I do, and I'm a complete beginner, so I'm not sure if I could come up with any useful tips
Perhaps there's one I can think of, I was really stuck when it came to lineart. My sketches looked alright, but I couldn't do a proper lineart, just ones with really messy lines. I found a program called Lazy Nezumi Pro, which is also used by some major gaming companies. It does wonders with lines, it also has a 30 days trial, so there's plenty of time if you want to give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock110 View Post
wow gosh this is stunning!!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only TR lover View Post
Just keep on drawing. I wish I had more time for that. haha I had the same feeling about the pencils when I bought fancy new ones BTW are you a Nightwish fan?
Ooh, did you draw the picture you set as your avatar? It looks great
And yes I am, they're my absolute favourite! Actually, I've been subscribed to your channel for quite a while, originally for TR music, but I was happy to see you did Nightwish covers as well, and they're fantastic! Also, you had the chance to perform for Tuomas himself, it must have been amazing!

Here's some progress:

Blending the lineart was quite a struggle, and it's still not done for the shirt and the hair. When that's done, I'll add the final details like the hair strands. Not sure if I should make a proper background, I might just leave it as it is.
Old 10-09-17, 08:42   #17
Matie

Sorry for the double post, need to post an update: it's finished! I can't wait to draw Lara already, hehe.

I also uploaded it on DA, you can view it in bigger size there: https://matietr.deviantart.com/art/C...ntra-703603538
Old 10-09-17, 12:31   #18
dinne

Oh very nice! Yes it's normal to pick from references, and the face is not so easy to do since it's a thing that we see everyday in every little detail and so we notice every wrong millimeter.
I would have added more net shadows somewhere on the cloth and refined some other lights but to be the first this is a nice result.
I send you via MP what I mean. Basically, it's all about to dare while adding "drama" with the lights (since the face has more "drama" here).

(but don't edit it now, it is still nice and it's useful to keep the old versions of a drawing to see them after 1 or more years )
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-17, 14:35   #19
Alex Fly
Inactive

Impressive work there, Matie!
Alex Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-17, 12:48   #20
Matie

Thank you both!

@dinne: you're absolutely right, I did notice something was off, but I wasn't sure how to fix it, I didn't dare to play around with the shadows much. Sometimes when I notice errors too late in the creating process, I'm too 'tired' to do something about them and I just ignore them, only to realise later that I shouldn't have Anyway, your advice is of great value to me, I'll definitely use it to improve in the future!

I tried something different this time, I'm trying to come up with a poster for TEW2. I made some sketches, the left one is just the basic idea, the right one is a very rough mockup to see how it would look with colours. I'm not sure how I'll go around making the fully detailed version, but we'll see I'm also thinking about squeezing some text saying "It's all your fault" somewhere to give it a little bit more context.