Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 07-08-13, 19:37   #111
_Ninja_

And by indie developer they mean one of the critically acclaimed darlings of the gaming world. Because 90% of those small indie games are crap that no one even talks about.
_Ninja_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 19:37   #112
tomekkobialka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Knight View Post
Yep. I hear you. Although, in CD's defense, I suspect that most of the pressure to appeal to as many people as possible comes from Square. They are failing on the Japanese front and want all the other studios to make up for it. When Eidos got bought out by them I knew it wasn't any good. When small studios get bought up by big ones, the games tend to focus on sales figures and get away from staying true to their franchises.
Yep, the publishers got a lot to do with it too. CD is capable of making really great games (TR was one of the most polished games I've played in a long time), but the actual essence of the game is pretty much...meh (for me at least). Square probably knew that the title "Tomb Raider" would bring in a large number of sales alone, so they took that, then gave Crystal the job to make a TR game that appeals to as many possible people as possibly possible. The result is just...meh??? (IMO)

Take a look at GoL: That was a non-serious TR game, yet it is by far the most TR-like game Crystal have had to offer (IMO). All the other games are like...audience is the priority. Whereas in the past the game was the priority, and funnily enough I prefer it that way.

I'll stick an additional IMO here, just in case:
IMO

Last edited by tomekkobialka; 07-08-13 at 19:39.
tomekkobialka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 19:46   #113
_Ninja_

Even if people don't agree with the gameplay choices they made. The atmosphere, locations, art direction, the implementation of their chosen mechanics, are phenomenal. Lets not pretend CD didn't pour their soul into it.

Last edited by _Ninja_; 07-08-13 at 20:51.
Old 07-08-13, 20:10   #114
jajay119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I think Guardian of Light gives us a pretty good idea of what would happen if the franchise ever ended up in the hands of an indie dev.
GoL has been the most TR like of all CD's efforts; I'd like them too go back to that and incorporate elements - such as multiple side tombs, more than were in the reboot cause ets face it, there were not enough, and the challenges withing need ramping up. The physics puzzles were nice but none of them were head scratchers. More puzzles next time please CD.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 20:46   #115
spyrostr

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ninja_ View Post
Even if people don't agree with the gameplay choices they made. The atmosphere, locations, art direction, the implantation of their chosen mechanics, are phenomenal. Lets not pretend CD didn't pour their soul into it.
i love this post
spyrostr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 20:53   #116
Bishop Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
That's probably the reason why it's called a reboot. *shrugs* But certain someones couldn't really grasp that. I'm sure CD knew from day one that some people would dislike it, but at least people got over it. Certain someones haven't.
I think you misunderstand what a reboot is. Very ignorant of you. A reboot is not the same as re-imagining a character. It's retelling the story from the begining again. To help you out, since you claim to speak and understand english better than EscondeR, from the dictionary -

reimagine - to imagine again or anew; especially : to form a new conception of : re-create

The term reboot, comes from the computer term to restart a computer. So, in context of intellectual property, a reboot is to restart not reimagine the series. You try to act intelligent by suggesting that people who don't agree with the new direction don't get what a reboot is, but clearly, you are the dumbass.

Quote:
How many people do you think buy the game on multiple platform? Again even if every single registered member here bought one extra copy that would still only be just an extra 50k copies. You have to be rather hardcore to spend money on a game that you already own, and let's face it the hardcore audience is small.
Prove that it is small. Past sales figures prove otherwise. Again, the game has survived for how many years? You think that's because of casual non-fan gamers? And I pointed out that I, like many, don't always sign up to forums for franchises that we are big fans of. That means there are lots of other fans out there that you are not aware of. No franchise survives without it's core fans. It has never happened. You keep assuming that the fans are only here in these forums.

Quote:
Sorry, but cosplaying leads to nowhere IMO. It's nice if someone decides to dress up like their favourite hero/heroine, but from what I experienced cosplay provoked nothing else, but "I came here to see tits" Otherwise cosplaying pop culture only really caters for other cosplayers and sadly that's a small number.
Your new to the comic and gaming scene aren't you? If not, a good cosplayer and fan art keep a product in the public's conscience. That's why companies try to appeal to their base. They're the best group to get the word out. Tron Legacy had a big campain to get fans excited and for them to promote the movie. CD even hired Meagan Marie because they realize this. Again, you have no idea what your talking about and are a dumbass.

Quote:
If I dressed up as... well, as anyone, I would be ridiculed by everybody around me. My parents, my brother, my friends. Everyone...
No one says you have to. But, that desire to appeal to others is a perfect example of why you accept this new direction for Tomb Raider. You want so desperately for TR and yourself to be liked by the average person. You want non-fans to take TR seriously. And so, you defend anything that has the name Tomb Raider attached.

Quote:
Those "fans" can have their opinions. Since when is your opinion any more correct or better than theirs? As I said, I have no idea where the series is going. TR'13 had it's flaws, but I'm happy the franchise is still around.
And who said you so called "fans" can't have an opinion? That's silly. You just don't like being called out on your supposed fandom. When a character and game no longer resembles what it once was, it's no longer what it claims to be. Start another franchise if you want a new character. It's intellectually dishonest to claim the character is the same when the core elements that have been associated with the franchise and character for so long are abandoned. That applies to the character's appearance, personality and voice.

Quote:
Anyway do you think the game doesn't appeal to the general audiences then it should be ditched?
No, that's what you claim. I say it needs to appeal to the fan base first. Is English your first language? And you criticize EscondeR on not being understandable. The franchise needs to be Tomb Raider and not appeal to the general audience. They should be distinguishing Tomb Raider from the other products, not imitating them. It's not necessary for Tomb Raider to be a AAA title. The only people who care about that are shareholders and "fans" who what others to so desperately like what they like. To be taken seriously.

Quote:
Because that's what I understood from that. You act like as if TR haven't already fallen into that trap. My favourite is TRIII, but you can't deny the fact that it sold less than TRII or TRI and TR4 sold even less. Plus, anyway TRI didn't even have a fanbase at first. So obviously it was developed for the general audiences. It was definitely not an indy game.
Actually, it was developed by a new and small studio, so yes it was, in fact, an indy company. Core and Eidos were not, by any stretch, a big company like EA. They were the little guy taking on the giant with something truly different. Now, they are absorbed by a giant publisher trying to appeal to the average gamer, by imitating other products and themes. Seems I remember someone from CD claiming Bow and Arrows are really the in thing now. Funny how Tomb Raider was once unique. Now it's trying to be prestigious and a AAA title.

Last edited by Bishop Knight; 07-08-13 at 22:33.
Bishop Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 21:01   #117
_Ninja_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Knight View Post
I think you misunderstand what a reboot is. Very ignorant of you. A reboot is not the same as re-imagining a character.
Come on, this is petty semantics. Most reboots reinterpret both character and setting and it is commonly understood without getting anal about dictionary definitions.

Did anyone seriously misunderstand what CD was going for? From the very first footage it was clear things will change.
Old 07-08-13, 21:10   #118
Spong
Beyond The Floating Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
I see what you did there
And you owe me a bazillion pounds for using my avatar
Spong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 21:22   #119
spyrostr

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ninja_ View Post
^*I misspelled 'implementation'.
haha i got the point though and i read it properly...it's ok
spyrostr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 22:16   #120
EscondeR

Quote:
Edit:

Okay, I have no idea what the **** you are talking about. I don't know if it's your English or mine, or both. But to avoid future confusion, I would like to kindly ask you to use common language. You know the stuff they use in everyday life. It seems like you're trying to sound like a phylosopher/poet from the ancient times, to me anyway, but quite frankly it's not working.

Edit2: Oh, right. So that 'V' was an arrow downwards. Her we go again with the bullying. What I stated above. Since you seem to think you are so much more intelligent than us, then you should maybe acknowledge the fact that this is going nowhere. Thanks.
Do yourself a favour, stop now and don't make everyone informed about your ignorance *sigh* Let alone being completely non-original with those language related snide remarks. Others didn't succeed, you won't too. Know what - first come here with at least a single coherent post in Russian using a translator not, then criticize my English

V The below doesn't evidently count being a google translated sample

Last edited by EscondeR; 08-08-13 at 04:43.
EscondeR is offline   Reply With Quote