www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 19-06-17, 16:22   #421
Hazelphoenix
Professor
 
Hazelphoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Italy
Posts: 2,637
Default

I really get where Lenochka comes from and some of the reactions to their feedback sadly confirms that critical thinking and mindful criticism (albeit polite) don't sit well with the majority of the Tomb Raider community for some reason.

I say that because I experienced the same kind of backlash elsewhere for pointing out that making the only decent copies available through giveaway limited to 50 people only isn't fair at all, while a lot of fans specifically said that the standard cover didn't really appeal to them and would have preferred a classic version with another design. That wasn't exactly the right way to address the complaints imo, though I still got called out using the same guilt-inducing arguments like "you are a classic fan. - You should support this no matter what. - At least be glad it happens. - It's the music that matters" which resembles some kind of "take this and shove it" way of thinking, a way of thinking I don't agree with.

Generally speaking, is the "accept everything that comes your way" mentality that I am not able to conceive, why should I settle for something that leaves me dissatisfied when there could very well be an alternative, like in this case? I could understand when there's no other way something can be done, but adding a classic style cover for everyone to purchase isn't something beyond this world IMO, especially since a lot of different rewards have been added including Buffet receptions and other cool stuff. Not to mention this is something fans are paying for, not only to get a reward but to make it possible. Whenever you put money on a product you get to have a say in the matter, no matter how people try to spin it.

And it's not really just what's inside that matters, at least to me. Having a beautiful classic soundtrack with a stunning cover depicting classic Lara feels much more compelling than knowing we, classic fans, can't even have classic Lara on a cover after 14 years because that's not modern enough or newer fans would not recognize her. It was something aimed to everyone, but to us in particular who grew up with that amazing music and our childhood hero, it was something to make up for years and years of absence and finally be able to get new merch with classic Lara stamped on it. It would feel absolutely glorious.

I am not expecting everyone to understand this point of view, but least people of the community could do is try to accept it. There's nothing wrong with believing that this campaign could've been handled much better, it doesn't change the fact that Nathan deserves respect for what he's trying to achieve and the wonderful music he composed, and I think no one is trying to deny this.

Anyway, Nathan wrote he is listening and I am 100% sure that he cares about fan feedback. He's making another announcement soon so we'll see
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-17, 16:42   #422
Trenton
Tomb Raider
 
Trenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: St.Francis' Folly Gender: Male
Posts: 18,675
Default

^Seems like you also misunderstand that this whole thing is about funding an orchestral recording and publishing of TR music. If that happens then that is the reward.
The member in question went out of his way to say he had no interest in this project whatsoever and would never support it with any money unless the freebies were to his liking. I don't see that as 'mindful and polite' criticism at all. That's just whining and complaining in my opinion. If a person has no interest in this project at all then why bother to come here and complain in the first place?
__________________
Lud's Gate = masterpiece level
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-17, 17:00   #423
Dustie
Relic Hunter
 
Dustie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Poland
Posts: 9,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelphoenix View Post
I could understand when there's no other way something can be done, but adding a classic style cover for everyone to purchase isn't something beyond this world IMO, especially since a lot of different rewards have been added including Buffet receptions and other cool stuff. Not to mention this is something fans are paying for, not only to get a reward but to make it possible. Whenever you put money on a product you get to have a say in the matter, no matter how people try to spin it.

This is basically Nathan's one man enterprise and I think this is the best way he could conceived it. Maybe it would have been good to let the fans know beforehand and let them have a voice in designing the campaign and preparing the covers, the posters, the shirt, the you-name-it and everything, but come on, Nathan is a music composer. I think he was focused on making sure this is musically rewarding. Don't you think it's fair to excuse him for not coming up with the kind of perks that would satisfy the most demanding of collectors? You gotta amid this community tends to be difficult to appease and asking fans to chime in for one's creative decisions is a double-edged sword.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-17, 20:23   #424
anicroft
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3
Default New Update

Awww this is fantastic!!!


https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1916054
anicroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-17, 20:35   #425
ggctuk
Relic Hunter
 
ggctuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: England
Posts: 8,926
Default

The goal's actually within sight now. Come on, one last push. I can't pledge anything until Friday, and it won't be a huge amount but I will.
__________________
Current projects: Zootopia Futures Past, Battle Of The Kings, Battlefront Legacy
ggctuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-17, 20:38   #426
Hazelphoenix
Professor
 
Hazelphoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Italy
Posts: 2,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
^Seems like you also misunderstand that this whole thing is about funding an orchestral recording and publishing of TR music. If that happens then that is the reward.
The member in question went out of his way to say he had no interest in this project whatsoever and would never support it with any money unless the freebies were to his liking. I don't see that as 'mindful and polite' criticism at all. That's just whining and complaining in my opinion. If a person has no interest in this project at all then why bother to come here and complain in the first place?
Because it's still feedback, and feedback is very important for artists to improve their future projects, or at least it should be. Unless someone started insulting or being downright offensive towards Nathan, which never occured yet, I don't see any problem with complaining. Perhaps that's just me, I am not used to taking everything that comes my way unconditionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
This is basically Nathan's one man enterprise and I think this is the best way he could conceived it. Maybe it would have been good to let the fans know beforehand and let them have a voice in designing the campaign and preparing the covers, the posters, the shirt, the you-name-it and everything, but come on, Nathan is a music composer. I think he was focused on making sure this is musically rewarding. Don't you think it's fair to excuse him for not coming up with the kind of perks that would satisfy the most demanding of collectors? You gotta amid this community tends to be difficult to appease and asking fans to chime in for one's creative decisions is a double-edged sword.
This is undoubtedly true, all the fans community tend to come across as a bit entitled, and the TR community is well know for being very "passionate" let's say. But we also have to understand and take into consideration that the TR universe is split into 3 or more iterations, making it difficult to appease everyone. It's much easier when a brand keeps consistency with its original identity, for example if classic Lara was the only Lara ever existed, we would've likely ended up with a classic inspired cover that would make everyone happy. In this regard I kind of get Nathan's decision to opt for something more neutral incorporating all the different versions of the character. I still don't like the standard cover, but I understand the reasoning behind it. I do understand fans who felt underwhelmed by that choice and wished to see something more classic as well, being one of them. It's impossible to please everybody, that's for sure.
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-17, 21:31   #427
Lenochka
Gold Contributor
 
Lenochka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Seafoam Islands
Posts: 22,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
^Seems like you also misunderstand that this whole thing is about funding an orchestral recording and publishing of TR music. If that happens then that is the reward.
The member in question went out of his way to say he had no interest in this project whatsoever and would never support it with any money unless the freebies were to his liking. I don't see that as 'mindful and polite' criticism at all. That's just whining and complaining in my opinion. If a person has no interest in this project at all then why bother to come here and complain in the first place?
All that matters is funding the project, right? Does it matter if this money comes from someone that isn't totally invested in an orchestra? No. Square knows there is no profit in this, if they truly believed in it they would have funded it themselves. The project needs money to even happen, and beggars can't be choosers when it comes to who is contributing. So yeah, my feedback is just as necessary as anyone else's who is on the verge of backing. You can't get all annoyed that it might not even happen, and then swat away potential supporters just because you don't think they are in it for a legit reason. Money is money, and at this point they need more of it, so why does it matter? They need more backers, and I was giving feedback on what I personally would have liked to see more of.

Last edited by Lenochka; 19-06-17 at 21:33.
Lenochka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-17, 21:42   #428
RunrigNutter
Professor
 
RunrigNutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,848
Default

Almost 114.000. still early in USA.
__________________
You will be exalted oh God, And your kingdom shall not pass away
RunrigNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-17, 22:01   #429
Zebra
Legend
 
Zebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 25,745
Default

At this point it's honestly starting to look like it'll take a proverbial miracle to reach the 160k. We're so close but unless something really unexpected happens (like SE anonymously chipping in or a huge horde of fans with disposable income only just now finding out about the campaign or 6-7 people with lots of disposable income suddenly deciding to go for the 7500 pound tier), it just doesn't seem likely.
__________________
Wozu zuhören, wenn man reden kann?
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-17, 22:12   #430
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter
 
SrDanielPonces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portugal
Posts: 8,694
Default

took 25 days to 70%... 30% is funded in 5 days? damn
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.