Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 01-03-19, 20:20   #1
Samz

Default Guide on how to have duals without near-infinite ammo on PC for AOD.

After asking people who know alot more about AOD's technical side than I do (Thanks Sasho and Simulation who made SCU!), I've finally found out how to fully playthrough AOD with duals on PC without infinite ammo/max strength upgraded Lara and decided to put all I found in a handy single form post for convenience for anyone else who wants it.

There are two main methods, a couple of save games that are quite user friendly but you'll lose all your items after Von Croy's Apartment or a longer, not quite difficult but still longer way with the SCU that lets you keep your items as well as take any additional items you want from the debug area, with a part two for when Lara loses her weapons as part of the story and getting the duals back.

SAVES METHOD

Start AOD and quit your game after the intro cutscene in the first level if you're new to the game (Since you won't see it due to loading a save.)

Then download these saves if you didn't use Nakamchi's level patches https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IP...kSXYinNRbMCuGk and shove them in the save game folder, download the saves below if you did patch the level files.

If you did then download these saves https://drive.google.com/open?id=14B...I7-ExrBLkA7ysJ and stick 'em in your SaveGame folder and use these instead.

After you finish Galleries under siege and lose all your stuff, beat Von Croys Apartment then load the Monstrum Crime Scene save file included for the duals.

I got a little bit of extra ammo for the duals on the Monstrum save since there's barely any ammo for them. (Likely due to Core trying to quickly change all the Vector ammo to Mag Vega/Viper ammo but still missing a good few clips.)

I also suggest using https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=215413 Nakamichi's EXE multi-patcher for some extra fun, you can toggle on Lara's Sunglasses with it and on every level change Lara will change to whatever sunglasses setting you selected as well as having pick-ups rotate in the corner when you pick them up like TR4/5.

You can still get Vector ammo as Core left a small amount of them from when they were still available at this point in the game, mostly in the bio-research area and unlike every other weapon you've normally lost by this point, they'll still have their sound effects with the exception of only the Von Croy's Apartment level since you were originally ment to still have them.

SCU METHOD

You'll still need the SCU, we just won't be using the all weapons and ammo cheat option.

Start AOD and then save and quit your game after the intro cutscene in the first level if you're new to the game (Since you won't see it due to skipping it.)

USING THE SCU

For this, we're going to exploit a quirk of AOD, if we use any of the level select functions in the SCU, load a save then "reload level" with the debug tools, the game will put is back into the level we level selected to with the inventory from our save, so this is basically semi-working version of the level select cheat from PS2, however we cannot save our game til' we beat the level we skipped to as the game will get confused, label the save as the save we loaded and loading it will crash the game.

METHOD 1

You'll have to restart the game after collecting the duals but this enables a "full" playthrough in order while still being able to save in the first level.

Enable Debug mode and Use the "Show level select dialogue" start the game and set the level to "INVENT" and you'll spawn in a test level, press F3 til' the clutter is gone, then load your Backstreets save, press escape then tab to enable debug mode, select then select "Restart Level." then press F11 so the game goes into wire-frame mode, walk fowards til you see the weapons lying in front of you, then pick up the dual Vectors and Scorpion X's. (They'll have a taller profile than the other weapons.), its a little tricky due to the weird angle the camera is at so I suggest using Look mode to get a better view. (Hold down Sprint for a few seconds.)
Now level skip and you'll end up the "apartments" level.
Quit the game then using the SCU, select the "Parisian Ghetto, Opposite Janice" option and start the game..
Load your save and use the debug mode to restart the level.
Turn around, run down the stairs then head left, keep an eye out for a sign saying "GARAGE" on the right, once you pass it, use the debug fly mode to fly up, you'll see some walkways ontop of the "GARAGE" building, fly to the top one, if you go through it you'll load the First level again, if that doesn't work, land onto of the highest walkway stand at the door and crouch and turn left with your back to the door.

Now you can play through the first level normally.

Method 2, less setup time but you can't save in the first level.

Start AOD, start the game and save after starting the first level

Enable Debug mode and Use the "Show level select dialogue" start the game and set the level to "INVENT" and you'll spawn in a test level, press F3 til' the clutter is gone, then load your Backstreets save, press escape then tab to enable debug mode, select then select "Restart Level." then press F11 so the game goes into wire-frame mode, walk fowards til you see the weapons lying in front of you, then pick up the dual Vectors and Scorpion X's. (They'll have a taller profile than the other weapons.), its a little tricky due to the weird angle the camera is at so I suggest using Look mode to get a better view. (Hold down Sprint for a few seconds.)

I suggest not picking up anything else as some of it is mostly fully deleted items (such as the Harpoon gun) and your game will crash if you try to equip/use them after picking them up.

Use the Debug Function to skip levels (press Tab while in the pause menu) and you'll spawn in the Apartments level, save and quit the game.

Then tick "Play Level/Cutscene/FMV" in the SCU, select Backstreets and make sure Debug mode is still enabled, the game will load into backstreets, load your apartments save then use the debug mode to "reload level" you'll end up back at the backstreets with your inventory intact, you can't save as the game still thinks you're in Apartments so just finish the level without saving as it will save as the Apartments level and loading it will crash the game.

PART 2 GALLERIES UNDER SIEGE.

OPTION 1 Losing weapons but easier level to beat without saving.

Beat Galleries under Siege normally (losing all your weapons) then finish Von Croy's Apartment normally and Save and quit when you get to the Monstrum Crime scene level, then tick show Select Level Dialog and Debug Mode and select INVENT from the list of levels, pick up the duals again, both dual Vectors and Scorpion-X as well as the Single Vector if you want, its right next to the dual Vectors.

Skip Level and you'll spawn in the Strahov Fortress level, save and quit.

Untick Select Level Dialogue and tick Play Level/Cutscene/FMV and select the Monstrum Crime scene level, load your Strahov save once the game starts then reload the level via debug, You'll be in Monstrume Crime Scene with Duals, finish the level without saving since it'll be a corrupted unusable save and you can save normally from the next level onwards, don't worry as Monstrum Crime scene is quite easy.

OPTION 2, no losing weapons.
We cannot use the Debug cheat to skip Galleries to keep our weapons as it seems the end trigger of Galleries is what's scripted to take our stuff, so we're gonna have to use that Debug level reload trick again.

Play Galleries under Siege and get to the end of the level but do not actually trigger the cutscene at the end, if this is your first playthrough then Save before leaving the level (Its near the area where you can access the toilets/The Big stairs with 2 Enemies.), watch the cutscene and then quit the game.
Tick Play Level/Cutscene/FMV Select Von Croy's Apartment in the SCU then load your Galleries under Siege Save, then reload level with the debug function.
However you cannot save since the game will save it as Galleries under Siege and loading it will crash the game, so you're going to have to complete Von Croy's Apartment without saving, you can save normally from Monstrum Crime Scene onwards.

Now you can have Lara running around AOD with duals and Sunglasses just like in the promo material but now with a reason to still look for those Vector clips left around in Lara's later levels as well as all of your collected health items.

Makes Angel of Darkness just that little bit closer to feeling like Core intended.

I have noticed a rare occasional glitch with the duals where Lara will get locked in a "Half-drawn" state, where her guns are stuck on her hands like that ocassional glitch where she has them still on her hands despite being holstered, but the ammo counter remains on screen and Lara still locks-on to enemies despite not having guns drawn, You can't draw/holster anymore and you can't melee/shooter either, its pretty rare (I've generally only encountered it less than 5 times in a playthrough.) but you WILL have to load your last save if it happens, you don't have to really worry about it, but just make sure not to generally spend an entire level without saving. (or if you're paranoid, save before/after using duals.)

It tends to happen when Lara changes weapons while the duals are drawn in "Non-standard" ways (On stairs, using the next/previous weapon hotkeys or just in general in the middle of some animation.)

This was done on the GOG version of the game, tell me if you run into any issues.

Last edited by Samz; 29-04-20 at 14:06.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-19, 12:40   #2
Samz

Bump, not sure if I'm allowed to since its technically posting twice but its been a while since I think it's okay? I've edited it for a new method of keeping the duals past Von Croy's apartment where you finish the much easier Monstrum Crime scene level instead without saving.

Last edited by Samz; 05-04-19 at 13:01.
Old 22-06-19, 07:58   #3
Samz

Updated with a video showing the exact location of the pistols in Invent.
Old 22-06-19, 10:57   #4
Heartache

wouldnt it be easier to do this once and then share a savefile or something like this to atleast skip a few parts of this for others?
Heartache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-19, 11:20   #5
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartache View Post
wouldnt it be easier to do this once and then share a savefile or something like this to atleast skip a few parts of this for others?
Even if I did that, you'd have to repeat it again to keep them past Galleries under Siege as the in-game Debug level skip still strips your weapons at the end of Galleries under Siege.
Old 22-06-19, 13:48   #6
Heartache

does the AOD Scu only have the option to give you unlimited ammo with all weapons? i never used it
the classic tr editors have the option to tick all weapons you want and an extra option for unlimited ammo if you want that.

maybe it would just take someone of our awesome community to unlock the option of duals without a lot of hassle
Heartache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-19, 15:14   #7
charmedangelin

So there is an item pickup of them in the game. I wonder if it's at all possible to add that item back into the main game. Like mod the pickup into it
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-19, 18:35   #8
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartache View Post
does the AOD Scu only have the option to give you unlimited ammo with all weapons? i never used it
the classic tr editors have the option to tick all weapons you want and an extra option for unlimited ammo if you want that.

maybe it would just take someone of our awesome community to unlock the option of duals without a lot of hassle
It doesn't.

You DO have an option to give every weapon at once, with near infinite amounts of ammo but this guide is for getting the duals without infinite ammo, without removing the reason to find ammo pick-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
So there is an item pickup of them in the game. I wonder if it's at all possible to add that item back into the main game. Like mod the pickup into it

Yeah that'd be nice, the pick-up seems to be perfectly fine too, while we can't see it textured (Since Invent lacks textures aside from Lara.), the actual model seems fine and since the pick-ups/inventory share textures it seems to be a completely functional could be added back in pickup.

I think a simple pick-up/enemy placement re-balancing mod could improve it alot but its simply not possible at the moment as far as I'm aware.

Last edited by Samz; 22-06-19 at 18:37.
Old 22-06-19, 19:08   #9
_Seth

I've always thought the ideal situation would be if the twin pistols could be modded into Lara's inventory from Louvre Storm Drains, since that's when she actually has holsters to place them in, and then again in Monstrum Crimscene.
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-19, 19:18   #10
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
I've always thought the ideal situation would be if the twin pistols could be modded into Lara's inventory from Louvre Storm Drains, since that's when she actually has holsters to place them in, and then again in Monstrum Crimscene.
At the very least, I'd have them replace the single vector mid-way through Louvre Galleries, Replace the first V-Packer with another pick-up (instead moving it to a more actually secret location.) and replace the Serpent Rogue Guards dropping MV9s with them dropping single Vectors. (Since thats what they actually use.)

Its kinda strange how easy it is to miss the Vector, considering how its the replacement for the Browning Hi-power.

Probably add the Dual Scorpion Xs to the Bio Research Facility somewhere.

Though sadly a level editor allowing us to do something like this seems to not be possible.

I know Core were rushed but I think its kinda silly they never thought to quickly put a handful of pick-ups for them in the game, the complete lack of legitimate duals is kinda their fault.

Last edited by Samz; 22-06-19 at 19:24.