www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 05-02-18, 15:16   #7851
tombstone
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
Out of all the official theatre posters I have to say Lu Ren got the best deal.
Tancha approves 1000%.

Quote:
I'm surprised they didn't include the Tomb in the poster for China. They have a massive Tomb Raider franchise of their own and adventure films usually perform pretty well over there. If this movie makes its major budget in China then expect Lu Ren to stick around for the sequels.
Isn't it a big no no in china to show disrespectful depictions of the dead like skulls and such in china? How did they manage to get past censorship there with a film that's all bout grave robbing there?

Last edited by Rai; 05-02-18 at 16:08.
tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 15:23   #7852
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombstone View Post
Isn't it a big no no in china to show disrespectful depictions of the dead like skulls and such in china? How did they manage to get past censorship there with a film that's all bout grave robbing there?
They literally made a Chinese Tomb Raider that came out in January with that guy from Fraiser and the main heroine is dressed as Lara Croft from the reboot except she has a braid.

Quote:
I'm surprised they didn't include the Tomb in the poster for China. They have a massive Tomb Raider franchise of their own and adventure films usually perform pretty well over there. If this movie makes its major budget in China then expect Lu Ren to stick around for the sequels.
He survives, he said in an interview. Also said he can help her again in sequels.
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 15:27   #7853
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombstone View Post
I don't think they're that harsh anymore to be honest, usually the film has to have a positive depiction of a Chinese person in this case Lu Ren and positive cultural relevancy is another factor. Skull Island had lots of skeletons and bones and violence and it passed and was a huge success.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 05-02-18 at 15:28.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 15:35   #7854
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

^ The release date is confirmed too so like they won't stop it now.

Usually films are confirmed to be released in best case scenario 8 weeks before the wanted release date and they finally got it approved this week I guess. Some films are only approved to be shown sometimes 8 days before release.

I think Wu has a lot of things going for it in China although I'm afraid audiences will think it's another Geostorm - it was advertised as his movie and he's obviously barely in it but the trick worked and made a ton of money.

I think it's why the trailer shows him flirting with Lara to really prove he's integral to the plot and everything and not a "Vase", a term gaining popularity in China against Hollywood films that throw Chinese actors in it to try make money but aren't anything more than a prop that have no impact on the story line - like Kong Island. So while economically yay he'll boost it in China I'm also glad it's genuine diversity like Spider Man and should help the reviews in the West too as he's not a stereotype what so ever, not a kung fu master and is a sexual being.

P.S I think Tomb Raider's second trailer was far superior to Jurassic World 2. I really thought I saw that EXACT film plot 2 decades ago with the original.

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 05-02-18 at 15:43.
Old 05-02-18, 15:46   #7855
Ellioft
Professor

Lu Ren looks more like a tough guy, I hope he will be well included on the story but not as a saver but as a co worker with Lara. (maybe with less screentime).
Old 05-02-18, 15:57   #7856
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

What I want from Lu Ren and what I think is ideal and to be honest what's very possible is:

- Light flirtation with Lara and maybe a crush. You know he is a hottie and Lara is attractive lets go there but we know Lara will never have a relationship, she's "fiercely independent" and a lot of the fan base likes Lara alone but considering she will be in the Tomb only with the villain it won't be like Diana and Steve in Wonder Woman, it'll be much lighter so lets go there.

- Make him the damsel in distress. Considering the plot we know from the trailer 2 is they flip and she obviously goes back later on to rescue him and the other (Yeah, he's Sam with a broken arm)

- Give him good action sequences. We don't want the character to be seen as "neutered" otherwise it'll get a conservative backlash about being too feminist. Give him a good action sequence where he can do stuff with the assault rifle which we know will happen as we see in the trailer and then in another action sequence, have him fight with Lara together. Again this is the feminism we want, not women better than men but equality and how powerful and successful it is when men and women fight together, like Steve and Diana in Wonder Woman. My guess is as Lara and Mathias are battling it out in the Tomb, every now and then it'll cut to outside the Tomb where Lu Ren is fighting off the other baddies as he tries to protect the slave miners.

I do think he is the leading male even if he gets fourth billing behind West and Goggins. At the LONDON press event they showed off his wardrobe and weapons, not Goggins. You know if it was just to appeal to China they'd do that exhibition with his stuff in Asia but they did show it off in London. Again I do see ingredients of a great movie here.

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 05-02-18 at 15:58.
Old 05-02-18, 16:16   #7857
Rai

I'm not keen on the Daniel Wu poster. I understand why WB are pushing his image for the Asian market, but I don't see TR in that image. If I didn't know he was in it, I'd think it was a generic action movie and not an action adventure movie, which is still what the TR movie is. I prefer Alicia's posters. #controversial.
Old 05-02-18, 16:41   #7858
Soma Holiday
Relic Hunter

His poster looks nice but reminds me of the Predators movie from a fee years ago which also starred goggins.
Soma Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 16:41   #7859
BigR4444
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I'm not keen on the Daniel Wu poster. I understand why WB are pushing his image for the Asian market, but I don't see TR in that image. If I didn't know he was in it, I'd think it was a generic action movie and not an action adventure movie, which is still what the TR movie is. I prefer Alicia's posters. #controversial.
They arent going around using that as the sole image for the movie... its part of an advertising package. They're pushing that poster alongside posters of Alicia.

Look at geekofcomedy's post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
Edit: Their definitely promoting it in Asia, was looking through the Chinese hashtag and came across this and as expected, their totally playing up Daniel Wu. ...AND COSPLAY!

[img]https://i.imgur.com/rGgEzTa.jpg?1[/ig]
^ Taiwan airport

[img]https://i.imgur.com/MOkOTb7.jpg[/ig]

Last edited by Rai; 05-02-18 at 16:47.
BigR4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 16:43   #7860
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Oh one thing everyone should hope for:

That Warner Brothers doesn't buy Sony Pictures which is reportedly going up for sale. Spiderman will most likely go back to Disney if they sell although it'd be funny if another company is given the license but very unlikely.

More interestingly though is that Uncharted license. If Warner Brothers buys Sony Pictures (Doubt it, the studio will be too big although it can be argued why was Disney allowed 20th Century fox) it would have the license to Nathan Drakes Uncharted.

Y'all and Lu Ren better hope and prey it really furthers development being a prequel before a sale is made otherwise if TR is a success they'll totally do a crossover... AND IT WILL SUCK!

Edit: New Promo: The copy in the video is great and ACTUALLY not cliche but I liked the other promo made a few months ago, the editor who made that promo and this promo, BRAVO! https://twitter.com/TombRaiderMovie/...75217905971201

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 05-02-18 at 17:09.