www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 15-03-17, 08:35   #461
ESCachuli
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Don't get me wrong: You're right that the side rooms in St. Francis' Folly are far superior to those in TR I and the same is true to some of the side rooms in other levels, but at the same time the overall levels were far shorter and more linear which in return made them easier. If Crystal would've kept the original level design and put their puzzles into them, the whole game would've been improved drastically. TR I isn't a very hard to solve game to begin with (at least in comparison to its direct sequels), so to make its already rather easy to solve levels even shorter didn't help at all even with the addition of new puzzles.
Imagine if Crystal was more "sportist" and let Core work with them to make an awesome 10th Anniversary game. It would have been amazing, I'm sure. Core's level design with Crystal's side challenge rooms, good platforming, and puzzles in the fashion of TR4 and TRA. I could forget about the daddy issues if that was the case.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-17, 10:01   #462
Lillie
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
Imagine if Crystal was more "sportist" and let Core work with them to make an awesome 10th Anniversary game. It would have been amazing, I'm sure. Core's level design with Crystal's side challenge rooms, good platforming, and puzzles in the fashion of TR4 and TRA. I could forget about the daddy issues if that was the case.
Working with Core or not, it was not the decision of Crystal Dynamics but Eidos. I read somewhere (think it was an interview) that Eidos let both studios work on the game, each studio unaware of the project of the other studio. After some time when both games were in development, Eidos chose the game of Crystal Dynamics and ditched the version of Core Design.
Old 15-03-17, 10:53   #463
tomee
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
That was really not up to Crystal Dynamics, but Eidos.

And technically they did get Toby Gard to work with them which ended up being a bad decision if you ask me.
Old 15-03-17, 11:39   #464
ESCachuli
Professor

I know it was Eidos who made the decision, but I'm sure they could agree to let Core work with them, especially if Crystal asked. But we know that they were competing for TR.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-17, 12:35   #465
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie View Post
Working with Core or not, it was not the decision of Crystal Dynamics but Eidos. I read somewhere (think it was an interview) that Eidos let both studios work on the game, each studio unaware of the project of the other studio. After some time when both games were in development, Eidos chose the game of Crystal Dynamics and ditched the version of Core Design.
Not quite. At first Core pitched their idea for a TR I remake to Eidos. Then Crystal heard about that and did their own remake since they feared that Eidos would give the TR series back to Core Design if their remake was successful. AFAIK there's an interview about that on Tomb of Ash, but I can't find it right now. It must be somewhere in the TRAE section: http://tomb-of-ash.com/tagged/trae
Old 16-03-17, 00:10   #466
King Ultra
Explorer

The first half of this game is Ehh ok,but the 2nd half is very good,though its my least favorite game in the franchise
Old 16-03-17, 01:23   #467
Niveus
Professor

Quote:
Not quite. At first Core pitched their idea for a TR I remake to Eidos. Then Crystal heard about that and did their own remake since they feared that Eidos would give the TR series back to Core Design if their remake was successful. AFAIK there's an interview about that on Tomb of Ash, but I can't find it right now. It must be somewhere in the TRAE section: http://tomb-of-ash.com/tagged/trae
We don't know whether any of that is true. That all came from a single anonymous (ergo unreliable) source from a member on this forum, I believe.

We know Core had the idea first and pitched it. We know that the project was moved to Crystal along the timeline of Core being sold off. Anything else is pure speculation.

Last edited by Niveus; 16-03-17 at 01:28.
Niveus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-17, 09:12   #468
TR-Freak
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ultra View Post
The first half of this game is Ehh ok,but the 2nd half is very good,though its my least favorite game in the franchise
Did you play game?
The first half is better than the second half.
After Mexico the game consists of long hallways only.
Old 16-03-17, 16:35   #469
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niveus View Post
We don't know whether any of that is true. That all came from a single anonymous (ergo unreliable) source from a member on this forum, I believe.

We know Core had the idea first and pitched it. We know that the project was moved to Crystal along the timeline of Core being sold off. Anything else is pure speculation.
Strange. I thought that this has been stated several times.
Old 17-03-17, 02:48   #470
Niveus
Professor

Quote:
Strange. I thought that this has been stated several times.
The notion that Crystal knew of the remake and pitched their own in fear of losing the franchise is only very recent. The traditional assumption is that Eidos strung along both teams without the knowledge of the other, then cancelled Core's; the only apparent reason we ever found out about TR:AE being the leaked trailer around the time Core was sold off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelphoenix View Post
I took a peak at some of the pages dedicated to Core's Anniversary Edition in Megan's book to see if something interesting came out of it, and actually I noticed something quite odd.

There is a quote from Anniversary's game director Jason Botta that caught my attention, which is the following:

"We had absolutely no idea" said Crystal Dynamics' Anniversary game director Jason Botta, when asked about the day the Core trailer went online. Immediately after putting Legend to bed, they were tasked with starting a ten-year tribute. "After we were in production, that video leaked on the PSP one and it hit everyone on the team as a complete surprise"

(Should this be against the rules, mods feel free to edit my post. Since the book already came out I figured it wouldn't be illegal to post this)

He clearly implies that Crystal wasn't aware of Core's version until the trailer leaked onto the web, and this came as a huge surprise to all of them. Apparently, Eidos asked Crystal to do the same thing and start a remake after they were done with Legend, making it easier to believe that both software houses were working at the same time on the same project without knowing anything about each other's work.

However, Core's producer at the time they were developing AE, Steve Pritchard, wrote a bunch of comments on a fan page a while ago, and this bit is particularly interesting in relation to Botta's statement:

"The last presentation to the SCi board had Gav and I demoing the Playstation version AND the PSP version, both of which had co-op gameplay in it. They were rough around the edges, still some way from alpha, but if you knew the original game well you could see where we had added real fan service, extra content and just cool stuff that expanded on the original narrative. It felt good to show off, it was received well, but that last presentation had us re-introduced to Toby Gard and some of the CD team who were there to see it. Two days later we got the news that they were going to do the Anniversary project, using their engine and tech from TR Legend. And that was that."

So, Core held a few meetings to showcase their progress with the remake and the last one involved Toby Gard and some Crystal member too surprisingly. Two days later they were told the project was cancelled, meaning that Crystal was actually aware of their project even before the trailer leaked and Core got canned, and clashing with Botta's version of the facts.

So... Did Crystal know about this secret project of Core before the cancellation, or not? Some things don't quite add up.
This post from 2016 is where that speculation all began.

Last edited by Niveus; 17-03-17 at 02:50.
Niveus is offline   Reply With Quote