www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 20-08-19, 21:47   #91
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

Sony has ended its licensing agreement with Disney, meaning Spider-Man is no longer part of the MCU.

https://www.inverse.com/article/5865...-end-agreement
Old 20-08-19, 22:11   #92
AmericanAssassin
Legend

To be honest, I’d prefer several separate franchises like it used to be and I still think the first two Sam Raimi Spider-Man films are two of the best superhero movies ever made. That was an opinion I held with a lot of people until the MCU bandwagon came along and everybody started pretending they hated every superhero movie released prior to the first Iron Man.

Last edited by AmericanAssassin; 21-08-19 at 05:59.
AmericanAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-19, 09:19   #93
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanAssassin View Post
To be honest, Iíd prefer several separate franchises like it used to be and I still think the first two Sam Raimi Spider-Man films are two of the best superhero movies ever made. That was an opinion I held with a lot of people until the MCU bandwagon came along and everybody started pretending they hated every superhero movie released prior to the first Iron Man.
Wait... do we hate Disney or do we not hate it? I'm confused.
Old 21-08-19, 09:50   #94
Mani_Man
Professor

How the hell cant they get an agreement? Spider-Man in the MCU worked perfectly for both sides...who of them is the greedy one and wanted more?

Sucks and hurts both companies extremely i think.
Mani_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-19, 13:38   #95
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
How the hell cant they get an agreement? Spider-Man in the MCU worked perfectly for both sides...who of them is the greedy one and wanted more?

Sucks and hurts both companies extremely i think.
From what I can see, Disney wanted to change the contract terms before it concluded (there's one more film in it) but Sony wanted to stick to the terms.

Also, it seems there's a lot going around saying this isn't a done thing and that talks are still ongoing. Sony has released a statement:

Quote:
Much of today’s news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige’s involvement in the franchise. We are disappointed, but respect Disney’s decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live action Spider-Man film.

We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him – including all their newly added Marvel properties – do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own.

Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue.
At present, neither Disney nor Feige have released statements, so we really only have one side of the story.
Old 22-08-19, 09:25   #96
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

To me it sounds like a purposely leaked insider discussion by either side in order to create backlash and a new deal. We shall see.
Old 22-08-19, 11:42   #97
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
To me it sounds like a purposely leaked insider discussion by either side in order to create backlash and a new deal. We shall see.
It sounds like that to a lot of people.

It's rather telling that neither Disney nor Marvel have released a statement to either counter Sony's or this perception.
Old 22-08-19, 22:54   #98
AmericanAssassin
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
Wait... do we hate Disney or do we not hate it? I'm confused.
Neither... What an odd question. I love a lot of Disney films, but they need to calm their **** when it comes to control. I honestly can't believe anybody would fault Sony on any of what's going on with Spider-Man based on the small amount of information we have. All I see is Disney being greedy.
Old 23-08-19, 07:25   #99
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Neither... What an odd question. I love a lot of Disney films, but they need to calm their **** when it comes to control. I honestly can't believe anybody would fault Sony on any of what's going on with Spider-Man based on the small amount of information we have. All I see is Disney being greedy.
I'm being sarcastic, poking fun at these same people who were, five minutes ago, all 'boycott Disney' and are now 'Disney shoyuld by Sony, boycott Sony'.
Old 25-08-19, 23:37   #100
KManX89
Historian

Quote:
To be honest, Iíd prefer several separate franchises like it used to be and I still think the first two Sam Raimi Spider-Man films are two of the best superhero movies ever made. That was an opinion I held with a lot of people until the MCU bandwagon came along and everybody started pretending they hated every superhero movie released prior to the first Iron Man.
Not me. I loved the first 2 Blade films. And the 1989 Batman. And the first 2 Sam Raimi Spider-Man films. And the first 2 X-Men films. And I liked the DC of DareDevil good enough (the TC, which was butchered to get a PG-13 rating was terrible).

Thing is, Sony has actively butchered Spider-Man and Ghost Rider since 2007. Ergo, everything they've made after Spider-Man 2 without Marvel's help has more or less been a disappointment (Venom was okay IMO, but it was marred by GLARING plot holes throughout and lack of character depth, oh and bad dialogue, and some genuinely cringe-worthy scenes). Into The Spider-verse was great, but there's a sizable jump from animated films and live-action, which they haven't gotten right (not by themselves, anyway) since 2004.
KManX89 is offline   Reply With Quote