www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 25-08-19, 19:13   #17471
Fantasy
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I replayed LAU earlier this summer and honestly I think TRA was the worst one out the three. Most of the rooms had not thought into what they were supposed to have been when updating them and the level design more often than not is atrocious. The game itself is actually relatively pretty once you get to Greece and Egypt but the design has you constantly clinging to ledges or poles etc going round the outside of the room rather than being in it. Egypt had rare occasions where there was some good design but honestly I think TRA being a remake of the first game as well as being more complex following Legend made it seem much better on release than I feel it is now. The environments in Legend and Underworld were all much more fluidly designed in my opinion.
I will admit that this is one of my gripes with Legend and Anniversary. The environments were great but it felt like Lara was just stuck on the edges rather than traversing through it.
Old 25-08-19, 19:19   #17472
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Legend and Anniversary's gameplay may have aged a bit poorly, but these games I think have the best atmosphere, music, the finest Lara, in other words: they got a soul.
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-19, 19:20   #17473
Fantasy
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
Legend and Anniversary's gameplay may have aged a bit poorly, but these games I think have the best atmosphere, music, the finest Lara, in other words: they got a soul.
Definitely
Old 25-08-19, 21:16   #17474
LateRaider
Archaeologist

legend lara just feels way too americanized for me. like a parody of lara almost. and i still hate how the whole search was just for her mom. yawn.
Old 25-08-19, 21:49   #17475
Lyle Croft
Professor

Janice when she saw Lara Croft in Angel of Darkness

Old 25-08-19, 22:00   #17476
Night Crawler
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Croft View Post
Janice when she saw Lara Croft in Angel of Darkness

Translation for those who don't speak French:
"Move along Ma chere, you make the place look crowded"
Old 25-08-19, 23:40   #17477
AmericanAssassin
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
legend lara just feels way too americanized for me. like a parody of lara almost. and i still hate how the whole search was just for her mom. yawn.
Legend Lara was just too...nice. That was my only real gripe with her. Thankfully, we got that little glimpse of attitude toward Amanda at the end, which I absolutely loved.
Old 26-08-19, 00:18   #17478
Lyle Croft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanAssassin View Post
Legend Lara was just too...nice. That was my only real gripe with her. Thankfully, we got that little glimpse of attitude toward Amanda at the end, which I absolutely loved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
Pretty Much! I adore LAU Lara, but Legend Lara in particular was so...comical. It was like they took every British stereotype and put it on Lara Croft. They took Classic Lara's one-liners and put that on steroids. Underworld Lara was more tame in comparison.

Come to think of it...

If we had a scale of Laras, from comical to serious would go. I feel like Classic Lara is the middle ground between serious tone of the survivor series, and the way too light-hearted LAU series (minus that family drama). (Though underworld really started picking up the tonal shift then TR2013 came after).

Legend → AULara → Classic → Survivor Lara

Last edited by Lyle Croft; 26-08-19 at 00:19.
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-19, 01:38   #17479
aquaflute
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Crawler View Post
It's what killed the franchise for me, I gave up all interest in Tomb Raider when I saw that this was in development, it was everything I didn't want Tomb Raider to be. Then I caved in last year and played it and now I'm back.

I've already played through 2013, Rise and Shadow two times each and rate them way above the LAU trilogy. (Can't stand those now)
I had very similar experience this year, TR2013 made me gave up on the series entirely at one point. My biggest gripe with the game was the over abundance of action set pieces and not having enough ancient ruins to explore. I had zero interest to play Rise and Shadow when they came out because I assume they would be the same.

This year, after doing some research and hearing good things about them. I gave Rise a chance and fell in love with the series again, and Shadow is now one of my favorite TR games right up there with the classics. I even grow to love reboot Lara and her backstory. I am a very simple man with simple tastes, give me enough ancient tombs/ruins/temples to explore and I will like.

I still enjoy LAU trilogy, but they really feel like half baked incomplete products now. CD was probably just testing grounds with those games back then, and they were able to fully realize their vision with the reboot trilogy.

Last edited by aquaflute; 26-08-19 at 01:44.
aquaflute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-19, 10:15   #17480
Linoshi Croft
Legend

Legend Lara always felt like a bit of a James Bond character to me. All the gadgets and one liners etc. Legend Lara had her moments, but she was way too over the top for me personally. Underworld Lara is the best version of LAU Lara. I pretty much ignore the fact Anniversary Lara exists considering it was considered good character development to have Lara kill someone then proceed to look at her hands distraught...then five seconds later smile at the supposed blood on her hands like a complete psychopath. The fact not more people take issue with this baffles me...