www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 15-09-19, 14:13   #271
sackboy123
Tomb Raider

Been reading through this entire thread and I must say I'm very impressed with your work. I would love to see Custom Levels in TR5 style since it's the most polished engine. Hope to see more progress in the future and I'll be following this thread a lot.

Just one major question I have to ask though, in Rome and Russia we're unable to see the Shotgun on Lara's back like we can in the PS1 version. I've modded the shotgun into the VCI levels though and we can see it, since you know your way around TR5 code, do you happen to know what causes this?
Old 18-11-19, 07:49   #272
MontyTRC
Historian

Development update
A lot of things happened with TR5Main development.
It started as a patcher, for breaking some limits and porting old enemies to TR5 engine.
Then, we have decided to rewrite all the platform code (renderer, sound system, input system) and we've done it.
Then, we have decided to rewrite inventory and savegame system, and we've done it.
Then, we have decided to add LUA support. I've written a prototype system and soon we'll sart working on it seriously.
After new developers joined the dev team, it was clear that we are too limited using the patcher approach. Typical example: the Objects array is limited to 518 slots, so we have to make choices about what include and what not.
That's why we've considered that we need to decompile all the game logic. Not the entire engine, just the game logic, because all platform subsystem arre aready written (and trust me, it's probably 30-35% of the game code).
Wher we are now?

We have fully decompiled pathfinding, items handling, gameflow, doors, switches, puzzles, keys, pickups and some enemies. Actually I am personally working on Lara code.
The goal is having all the game logic decompiled so, one day, we can convert our DLL into a full executable.

Other developers are working hard on porting TR1-2-3-4 objects into TR5 engine.
After reaching the next milestone (full Lara decompilation), we'll finally release a tech preview. I can't give you a date, but I can say that this will require some weeks, maybe 4-5.

If you are good with C++ and maybe also IDA, just PM me. More we are, less time we'll need :-)

Last edited by MontyTRC; 19-11-19 at 06:08.
MontyTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 09:12   #273
Kubsy
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyTRC View Post
Development update
A lot of things happened with TR5Main development.
It started as a patcher, for breaking some limits and porting old enemies to TR5 engine.
Then, we have decided to rewrite all the platform code (renderer, sound system, input system) and we've done it.
Then, we have decided to rewrite inventory and savegame system, and we've done it.
Then, we have decided to add LUA support. I've written a prototype system and soon we'll sart working on it seriously.
After new developers joined the dev team, it was clear that we are too limited using the patcher approach. Typical example: the Objects array is limited to 518 slots, so we have to make choices about what include and what not.
That's why we've considered that we need to decompile all the game logic. Not the entire engine, just the game logic, because all platform subsystem arre aleady written (and trust me, it's probably 30-35% of the game code).
Wher we are now?

We have fully decompiled pathfinding, items handling, gameflow, doors, switches, puzzles, keys, pickups and some enemies. Actually I am personally working on Lara code.
The goal is having all the game logic decompiled so, one day, we can convert our DLL into a full executable.

Other developers are working hard on porting TR1-2-3-4 objects into TR5 engine.
After reaching the next milestone (full Lara decompilation), we'll finally release a tech preview. I can't give you a date, but I can say that this will require some weeks, maybe 4-5.

If you are good with C++ and maybe also IDA, just PM me. More we are, less time we'll need :-)
Thatís very good to hear. I canít wait till it is released
Kubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 17:02   #274
Joey79100
Professor

3 years ago there was no hope the TRLE community would ever evolve, and it looked like it was going to slowly die. And here we are today, with a functional new editor, very soon a new engine, and because of that, new people coming and even old people coming back. I just wanted to give a big "thank you".
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 19:07   #275
Craig Michaels
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
3 years ago there was no hope the TRLE community would ever evolve, and it looked like it was going to slowly die. And here we are today, with a functional new editor, very soon a new engine, and because of that, new people coming and even old people coming back. I just wanted to give a big "thank you".
Yes! Thank you for reigniting so much creativity with the teamís hard work! It truly is an amazing gift.
Old 18-11-19, 20:31   #276
-Roli-
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Amen to that.
-Roli- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-19, 14:40   #277
LeelooBastet
Historian

Hello
I have a question

Will the next engine handle today's animation system instead of old blocky animations ?
That means will it handle today's 3d objects ?
And will it handle today's dynamic light/shadow system ?
LeelooBastet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-19, 14:58   #278
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeelooBastet View Post
Hello
I have a question

Will the next engine handle today's animation system instead of old blocky animations ?
You will still use the same stupid lara afaik
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-19, 15:40   #279
Joey79100
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeelooBastet View Post
Hello
I have a question

I really don't get what you mean by "blocky animation system". Nor by "today's 3d objects". Could you be more specific?
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-19, 16:02   #280
dcw123
Relic Hunter

Quote:
I really don't get what you mean by "blocky animation system". Nor by "today's 3d objects". Could you be more specific?
I'm assuming they mean something more akin to AOD or Legend..
Honestly not sure - it would still be using the old grid system surely.. so I guess not
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote