www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 19-06-19, 16:11   #1
Evil Doggos
Hobbyist

Default New to the old games. Enjoying this one a lot.

Now I do suck at it but it is far better than the newer games in my opinion. While I dislike the combat as it resorts to spamming shots and directional jumping, the puzzles and platforming is what makes it great. The graphics still hold up for ps1. In most games of that era you could not see their face. TR 1996 is the exception.

I doubt I will complete it since I am playing on phone with a switch joy con controller but I will get to it.
Evil Doggos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 16:27   #2
tlr online
Administrator

Welcome to the forum.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 16:50   #3
Alex Fly
Legend

Glad to read you enjoy Tomb Raider. Welcome aboard!
Old 19-06-19, 20:49   #4
laracroftswest
Professor

Enjoy!
Old 19-06-19, 20:59   #5
Maverin
Archaeologist

Have fun! Tomb Raider is still a masterpiece albeit a little outdated. I hope you'll get to the end
Old 19-06-19, 21:38   #6
Greatest TR
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doggos View Post
Now I do suck at it but it is far better than the newer games in my opinion. While I dislike the combat as it resorts to spamming shots and directional jumping, the puzzles and platforming is what makes it great. The graphics still hold up for ps1. In most games of that era you could not see their face. TR 1996 is the exception.

I doubt I will complete it since I am playing on phone with a switch joy con controller but I will get to it.
Welcome to the forum, now that's a rare breed who likes the old TR games than the new one. Me too! Newer TR games is absolutely rubbish and boring in my opinion, the old TR is the one I loved the most because of grid block system and tank control, that is what make the gameplay so great and fun and also challenging with original TR 1 PS1 save system. Yes and i totally agree with you, it's still holds very well in this day and age
Old 19-06-19, 21:46   #7
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Hi! Awesome to hear that this masterpiece of a game still gets discovered and appreciated by new players even two decades after it was made. Makes me truly happy.
Old 20-06-19, 00:40   #8
Evil Doggos
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest TR View Post
Welcome to the forum, now that's a rare breed who likes the old TR games than the new one. Me too! Newer TR games is absolutely rubbish and boring in my opinion, the old TR is the one I loved the most because of grid block system and tank control, that is what make the gameplay so great and fun and also challenging with original TR 1 PS1 save system. Yes and i totally agree with you, it's still holds very well in this day and age
Yeah. The linear modern games are rentals although tbf, Shadow does take a step back and has tombs and puzzles going on. Pretty good but og nails it. Beautiful art style. Memorable levels and you have to figure it out all yourself. It really shows you need to have a great attention span and focus to detail as those who lack this and turn their brain off, well it explaind why those reboots were made. They are not truly Tomb Raider games. It is an unrelated prequel that aims to be a survivor horror but these games are not scary at all. Not even shocking.

Perhaps the biggest sin is not so much just the dumbing the games down to being simple, and wasting the open world concept but how these new games are so damn brutal to get through and you see no need to pick the controller again to play them. With a game like Tomb Raider you need the games to be difficult. Otherwise being easy makes you just game away and play something else. The challenge makes it exciting just like the charactrr herself. The thrill of the unknown and danger escaping the boring modern society life.

Should stop now. Too much analysis over the contrasts of the og and new games.
Evil Doggos is offline   Reply With Quote