www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 13-07-19, 05:13   #11
Helegad
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollweevil View Post
Yeah the exclusion of crash and spyro was definitely a head-scratcher.
Not really. Once a classic is "remastered" or remade, the original is usually dropped by the publisher to push sales of the new version. Crash, Spyro, and Tomb Raider have all had this treatment, which pretty clearly explains their omission.
Old 13-07-19, 06:59   #12
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Speaking of emulating, I managed to get the ePSXe to overclock the emulated PS CPU and it removes a lot of the lag/framerate drops, making TR (and other games) finally run much smoother. On top of that, it seems to easily recognize the Dualshock 4 controller without DS4Windows. Thanks to that I can finally play the PS1 versions in a convenient way. I couldn't stand the slowdowns I experienced when trying TR3.
Interesting. I might look into that unless doing it requires a higher level of tech skills than I posess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helegad View Post
Not really. Once a classic is "remastered" or remade, the original is usually dropped by the publisher to push sales of the new version. Crash, Spyro, and Tomb Raider have all had this treatment, which pretty clearly explains their omission.
Even though TR1 was remade in 2007 the original was still made available to buy on PSN (still is if you have a PS3/PSVita I believe?) and there has even been physical releases of TR1 for PC later than that. Also it continues to be sold on both Steam and GOG to this day. Not to mention the iOS/Android port a couple of years back. So the original TR1 was never truly dropped per se by the publisher.

I guess Spyro and Crash made more 'sense' to drop from the Playstation Classic because of their remakes being released so close to the release of the Playstation Classic.
Old 14-07-19, 08:32   #13
bollweevil
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helegad View Post
Yeah that makes sense from a business perspective I suppose. I was thinking maybe they couldíve put in just one game from the original trilogies from each franchise, but then a lot of people wouldíve been upset because their favorite was excluded. I guess they were in a no-win situation with this one.
bollweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-19, 12:03   #14
fallenangle
Archaeologist

That suggestion about not including a game which is either still widely available or that has been remade does not stand up to scrutiny or make much sense

The inclusion of Resident Evil and MGS torpedoes that theory. Both have been remade and/or re-released on various platforms over the years.

As I said earlier here TR1 was a seminal game for the Playstation, it helped cement the brand in the wider public's mind and to exclude it and give preference to games that were not just not as important but never considered as anything other than OK-ish games, at best.

No Vagrant Story, no Soul Reaver, no Tenchu, no Parasite Eve (never released in PAL regions) no RTS games like Command & Conquer, no serious puzzle games like the extraordinarily good port of Riven. No Hogs Of War (fun, funny and better than any Worms 3D game), no Colony Wars, no Ace Combat (love a full translated version of AC3 rather than the crudely pruned Electrosphere), no Panzer Front or better the unreleased Panzer Front Bis the best ever console tank combat game, period.

Not my thing at all but it can not be ignored there is the omission of any number of other seriously well reviewed RPGs like Chrono Trigger often described as the best game of its type ever made. Even though FFVll is there FFVlll was as important and arguably more so.

So many great games could have been included. If the effort had been made to use the PS Classic to celebrate and promote the history of the brand, particularly showcasing those rarer games and ones not released in certain regions, in full or properly optimised then we might we talking about the PS Classic as a benchmark gaming device.

Instead it is only borderline value for money featuring some decent games but nothing at all like a genuine classic PS collection.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-19, 04:20   #15
Brendanlovesu1
Archaeologist

Source code allegedly obtained from the PlayStation Classic has been shared online, with it containing a slew of game files that arenít playable on the console. These include many highly requested games such as Silent Hill, Driver, and Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Tomb Raider 1 and 2, along with underrated classics like Klonoa and Parasite Eve. While the games arenít playable, files for each of the 36 games are visible in the systemís source code.

https://www.fraghero.com/theres-appa...snt-mentioned/

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/...-hasnt-enabled
Brendanlovesu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-19, 09:23   #16
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Interesting, but having them "mentioned" in the source code is not the same as having them actually present on the system... I'm curious to see which is the case.

Are there already functioning hacks to load different ISOs into the system? If yes, then this could be a nice way to run PS1 games with a native HDMI support...
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-19, 07:26   #17
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Are there already functioning hacks to load different ISOs into the system? If yes, then this could be a nice way to run PS1 games with a native HDMI support...
Yes that's when things would get really interesting.
I already own a PS classic (bought it full price on release ), but given the current price I wouldn't mind picking up a second one for experimenting purposes.
Old 07-08-19, 14:29   #18
HecticBartoli
Historian

I don’t know if I should talk about things but... I bought one of the four True Blue Mini USB Sticks (PlayStation Classic) from Amazon and it works great, costs me $35 AUD and it’s worth it! I have the crackhead pack (101 PS1 games) The first three Tomb Raider games are included so please don’t try to avoid PS Classic. It’s worth keeping it if you’re gonna buy these sticks for the sake of the best games. You should check it out yourself and if you wanna talk to me more about it, please feel free to send me a private message.

I only replied because I feel it might be the best thing for fans of the original TR games.

The USB stick I mentioned is highly recommended. I won’t be posting links though.

Last edited by HecticBartoli; 07-08-19 at 14:34. Reason: I got a little off topic
HecticBartoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 00:47   #19
Brendanlovesu1
Archaeologist

^ can you post some gameplay to see what it would be like. I'm thinking of investing in a PS Classic
Brendanlovesu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 09:43   #20
scion05
Tomb Raider

The weed pack includes TRTLR AND TRC also