www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 21-08-19, 06:31   #1
NicNamSam
Hobbyist

Default Basic tutorial for setting up new projects?

I love the videos showing off the features of Tomb Editor, but I'd like a video or guide showing how to set up a level. Currently, when I build and play, the game lists a bunch of "missing" levels, the first one isn't mine, and the rest crash the game. Especially since Tomb Editor provides a much more accessible entry point for beginners.

Last edited by NicNamSam; 21-08-19 at 06:32.
NicNamSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-19, 08:57   #2
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Ignore the installation that is present in the editor package, it is being included by mistake, Monty simply doesn't have time to clean it up before uploading and it's only intended for his use. Start a new project and provide paths to your own TRLE/TRNG+NGLE installation in Level Settings. Make sure they are all correct, usually it's sufficient to show TE where your tomb4.exe is. By default your compiled level files (.TR4) take the name of your TE project file (.PRJ2) so you might want to manually override that and make sure your level is compiled into the right TR4 file (like tut1.tr4) and saved in the right location (in the /data subfolder).

The editor isn't actually intended as a tool for beginners, it was made as a replacement of the outdated Core editor and NGLE.

Last edited by Dustie; 21-08-19 at 08:58.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-19, 21:13   #3
NicNamSam
Hobbyist

Oh, so it still depends on the existing level editor? I thought it could be a new, separate thing. I imported my level and everything "works", except none of my changes are actually applying when I hit 'build and play', so I'm thinking something along the way is reading the wrong file. I don't know for sure. So I thought I would just start a new, fresh level, separated from the original level editor altogether, but ran into the problem I described.

A long time ago, I knew more about how to organize the outside files for TRLE/NGLE to use, but I have since forgotten, and would love it to just be more simple, which I thought Tomb Editor was doing.

Anyway, I hope that Tomb Editor develops enough so that it can handle everything in a much more simple, streamlined way. A lot of things have gotten streamlined from TRLE to NGLE to Tomb Editor, and I hope it continues. I love that people are putting so much work into something that is not mainstream and is pretty old.
Old 22-08-19, 06:39   #4
Joey79100
Professor

Your problem might just be the file name, as Dustie explained.

Besides, there is actually another tool that is about to come with next versions of TE, TombIDE, which is basically an equivalent of NG Center but for TE, with more. It would basically be the entry point of a game project, it allows generating a new game folder, creating new levels and managing automatically the needed scripts for it, and does some other things automatically without you have to play with the internal structure of your game's folder. So it should effectively make things easier.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-19, 08:09   #5
NicNamSam
Hobbyist

Okay. Thanks for the help . I can't wait to see what develops in the future.
Old 26-08-19, 09:21   #6
Dustie
Relic Hunter

TombEditor doesn't entirely depend on the existing editor, it replaces it, but it works with current TRLE/NGLE installation so that making a duplicate of it isn't required.

There are no outside files to organize, just check level settings after you import your PRJ or make a new project and make sure the paths are correct.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote