www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 29-08-19, 21:39   #31
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
How is it not "90's gameplay mechanics"?
I didn't say the other stuff so I'm gonna assume you're replying to someone else.

The second part of your post makes 0 sense so, no comment
The point is that those mechanics make sense and are good regardless of temporal context. Their quality hasn't diminished over time and it would still be a perfectly reasonable design decision to make today if you were developing a game like the classic Tomb Raider games. (Now, this is me speaking from a design perspective. From a marketing perspective, that may not be entirely true.)
Old 29-08-19, 23:57   #32
Woops
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
The point is that those mechanics make sense and are good regardless of temporal context. Their quality hasn't diminished over time and it would still be a perfectly reasonable design decision to make today if you were developing a game like the classic Tomb Raider games. (Now, this is me speaking from a design perspective. From a marketing perspective, that may not be entirely true.)
That's exactly what I'm saying, these were the common gameplay mechanics used in the 90's period, I love them as well. What I meant with my post is that the thread is "judging" (for the lack of a better word) these 90's mechanics by today's standards, that makes them look bad and unrealistic. which is simply not fair.
Old 30-08-19, 02:02   #33
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
That's exactly what I'm saying, these were the common gameplay mechanics used in the 90's period, I love them as well. What I meant with my post is that the thread is "judging" (for the lack of a better word) these 90's mechanics by today's standards, that makes them look bad and unrealistic. which is simply not fair.
But then you're not actually saying what I'm saying. See, I disagree that they look bad by today's standards. Are they realistic? No. But IMO that doesn't make them look bad even by today's standards. There are loads of unrealistic mechanics in modern games, too. If you put these kinds of mechanics into a tonally gritty game with hyper realistic graphics, sure, that might look a bit incongruous, but put them in a more stylised game that doesn't take itself too seriously and they'll work perfectly well in a modern game. Nobody is complaining about Mario being able to jump too high, either.
Old 30-08-19, 10:06   #34
larafan25
Sage

The reboot girl jumps high too anyways... well it depends. Also that 360 turn in air. I mean I'm sure most mechanics in games are not realistic. But I adore those mechanics.
Old 30-08-19, 10:08   #35
Boobandie
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest TR View Post
Lara breast was huge and heavy, yet doing her journey on adventure without a struggle, base on her height and weight. No one think twice to throw game out of the store
Well they are big, but are we sure of their weight? With the amount of time she can hold her breath for, surely their size is due to some excess lung capacity.

Last edited by Boobandie; 19-09-19 at 01:51.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-19, 10:17   #36
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
So does most games, most characters who can hold onto walls don't lose their grips, almost every video game protagonist doesn't have to eat or drink and in most games with swimming water completely negates falling damage.
Exactly

it's a video GAME not a reality simulator and MOST other games are that way too
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-19, 17:15   #37
Woops
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustie View Post
not a reality simulator
preach