Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 30-08-22, 20:39   #1
adamtombraider

Default I have decided to finally give Rise of the Tomb Raider a go

I hate the reboot games and the story and I vowed never to play Rise or Shadow after playing Tomb Raider 9 in 2013 but as Autumn & Winter approaches in the UK I have decided that I need a game to get me through the Autumn & Winter months and I decided on Rise it will be on XBOX 360 as I don't have a PS4 or XBOX One.

I will be playing the game on the days when I am not in work I only decided to play Rise after watching a walkthrough of a level editor game called Tomb Raider - War of the Worlds.

So tell me the good and bad points of Rise of the Tomb Raider.
adamtombraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-22, 00:48   #2
killchan

Rise is a bigger TR2013 with more refined combat/stealth mechanics and hubs with more stuff to collect and areas to find, more modes, more replayability, rich DLCs...

As for the good/bad points, it really depends...
What did you like/hate about TR2013?
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-22, 12:40   #3
Raider8

Apart from Lara's slow to no character progression in this game and a mediocre storyline as many say about it, the game is a solid experience that improves upon each aspect of Tomb Raider 2013. You'll get more combat mechanics, more and more exploration in form of crypts, caves and grand challenge tombs, very good and replayable dlc chapters/modes, classic Lara skins and croft manor. Personally it's my favorite of the reboot trilogy and you should definitely have your time with this game.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-22, 23:02   #4
charmedangelin

Rise is very balanced compared to 2013. They toned down the combat and expanded on the tombs.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-22, 15:29   #5
AshesBorn

It's kind of a pointless sequel that doesn't offer much in terms of Lara's progression. The story is super predictable, and you will probably catch on to things way quicker than Lara.

Gameplay-wise, it's a definite improvement over TR2013. There is less combat and more focus on variety and exploration. It's a solid, enjoyable game, but I find the sum of its parts rather flavorless and unexciting overall.

Last edited by AshesBorn; 03-09-22 at 15:30.
AshesBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-22, 22:28   #6
Costel

How about playing the game and see for yourself instead of asking?
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-22, 03:45   #7
RAID

Rise is a massive improvement over the Yamatai game. It's a great game with a terrible story and even worse character as she's the most boring unlikable person ever. She's serious all the time, she's depressed and unbelievably boring. They are trying to pass her as Lara Croft but she's not. I call this character Boreen.

Boreen embarks on a quest after the events of Yamatai. The game can be classified as a stand alone, as Yamatai is practically almost forgotten and has no relevance to her character development whatsoever. Boreen's animations are lacking and look clumsy and unfinished. Boreen's voice is awful and makes you despise the character even more.

However, despite Boreen's massive and unforgivable flaws, the game is good, areas are massive and there's a lot to explore. Puzzles have also seen an improvement a they require more thinking to solve compared to Yamatai, but sometimes Boreen will ruin the suspense by giving you the solution. She's just boring that way.
RAID is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-22, 12:00   #8
AshesBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
How about playing the game and see for yourself instead of asking?
Also, this.
If you have already decided to play the game, then why not just play and make up your own opinion?
AshesBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-22, 22:10   #9
Mik9517

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAID View Post
I call this character Boreen.

Boreen embarks on a quest after the events of Yamatai. The game can be classified as a stand alone, as Yamatai is practically almost forgotten and has no relevance to her character development whatsoever. Boreen's animations are lacking and look clumsy and unfinished. Boreen's voice is awful and makes you despise the character even more.

However, despite Boreen's massive and unforgivable flaws, the game is good, areas are massive and there's a lot to explore. Puzzles have also seen an improvement a they require more thinking to solve compared to Yamatai, but sometimes Boreen will ruin the suspense by giving you the solution. She's just boring that way.
Boreen!! Love it!!
Mik9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-22, 21:11   #10
AimlessThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAID View Post
Rise is a massive improvement over the Yamatai game. It's a great game with a terrible story and even worse character as she's the most boring unlikable person ever. She's serious all the time, she's depressed and unbelievably boring. They are trying to pass her as Lara Croft but she's not. I call this character Boreen.

You gave me a good laugh! Thank you for that!
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote