Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 28-03-12, 17:06   #1
Catracoth
Inactive

Arrow Grand Theft Auto (Series)

[IMG]http://i39.************/2cfzmp.png[/IMG]

Grand Theft Auto (commonly abbreviated GTA) is a multi-award-winning video game series created in the United Kingdom by Dave Jones, then later by brothers Dan Houser and Sam Houser, and game designer Zachary Clarke. It is primarily developed by British developer Rockstar North (formerly DMA Design) and published by Rockstar Games. The name of the series is derived from grand theft auto, a term referring to motor vehicle theft.

The series is set in fictional locales heavily modelled on American cities, while an expansion for the original was based in London. Gameplay focuses on an open world where the player can choose missions to progress an overall story, as well as engaging in side activities, all consisting of action-adventure, driving, occasional role-playing, stealth, and racing elements. The subject of the games is usually a comedic satire of American culture, but the series has gained controversy for its adult nature and violent themes. The series focuses around many different protagonists who attempt to rise through the ranks of the criminal underworld, although their motives for doing so vary in each game. The antagonists are commonly characters who have betrayed the protagonist or his organisation, or characters who have the most impact impeding the protagonist's progress.

GTA era
1961 – London, 1961
1969 – London, 1969
1997 – Grand Theft Auto

GTA 2 era
1999 – Grand Theft Auto 2

GTA III era
1984 – Vice City Stories
1986 – Vice City
1992 – San Andreas
1998 – Liberty City Stories
2000 – Advance
2001 – Grand Theft Auto III

GTA IV era
2008 – Grand Theft Auto IV
The Lost and Damned
The Ballad of Gay Tony
2009 – Chinatown Wars

GTA V era
TBA – Grand Theft Auto V
Catracoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-12, 17:18   #2
Weemanply109
Inactive

Good thread idea.

My favourite GTA is definitely GTA: SA and GTA IV. I just think GTA IV lacked proper humour and was too serious and had a crappy protagonist and characters. I hope the next instalment is more laid back.
Weemanply109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-12, 17:20   #3
Catracoth
Inactive

Well I don't think there's anything wrong with having a more serious instalment. I mean, given the theme and setting, it was very fitting. GTA isn't about humour and silliness. That's Saints Row's territory.
Old 28-03-12, 17:22   #4
Sir Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catracoth View Post
Well I don't think there's anything wrong with having a more serious instalment. I mean, given the theme and setting, it was very fitting. GTA isn't about humour and silliness. That's Saints Row's territory.
GTA has always been about humour, silliness and over the top action.
Sir Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-12, 17:24   #5
Spong
Beyond The Floating Islands

Quote:
GTA isn't about humour and silliness.
Maybe not overtly, but it was very tongue-in-cheek, which was always its appeal. It never took itself seriously and had an air about it that you were participating in a cartoon parody of real life. GTAIV lost that completely by taking itself too seriously (until TBoGT came along) and is the main reason why people (including myself) dislike it in comparison.

I hope to God GTAV brings back the silliness.
Spong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-12, 17:24   #6
Catracoth
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Croft View Post
GTA has always been about humour, silliness and over the top action.
To a degree.
Old 28-03-12, 17:28   #7
AmericanAssassin

I think a humor level in between San Andreas and IV would be perfect. I liked that they tried for a more serious approach and, in fact, IV is my second favorite installment in the series (only getting beat out by Vice City). I never want humor and silliness at the level of Saint's Row, which to be honest is ridiculous and so stupid that I can't even find it fun. I do not want V to be like that.
AmericanAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-12, 17:31   #8
Weemanply109
Inactive

This thread has quickly turned into a 'General Saints Row Thread'. :/

What's with all the comparisons? I never meant to that degree, I think that the level of humour in Saints Row shouldn't ever be conveyed into a GTA game, and I think that sometimes the humour in Saints Row is just OTT and not funny, but GTA has always been about humour and action. Like aforementioned.
Weemanply109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-12, 17:32   #9
Sir Croft

^Mentioning the game doesn't make it the General Saints Row Thread. Comparisons will be made because the first Saints Row is a shameless GTA rip-off.
Quote:
To a degree.
Of course, it's nowhere near as over the top as Saints Row, but it lost all its silliness in GTAIV, it was too dark, too grim for a GTA title. And that's only about the story, but the gameplay also had its role in making GTAIV way too serious (Aiming for realism, etc.).

Last edited by Sir Croft; 28-03-12 at 17:34.
Sir Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-12, 17:34   #10
Carbonek_0051
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Croft View Post
Of course, it's nowhere near as over the top as Saints Row, but it lost all its silliness in GTAIV, it was too dark, too grim for a GTA title. And that's only about the story, but the gameplay also had its role in making GTAIV way too serious (Aiming for realism, etc.).
Word.
Carbonek_0051 is offline   Reply With Quote