Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 24-07-18, 23:26   #3261
biscuits

I just watched Whisper Of The Heart. I gotta say, this is now my favourite Ghibli movie. I loved this movie so much. It resonated a lot with me.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-18, 11:34   #3262
Cochrane
Golden

After months of not watching any anime, I've finally started up again and finished a few things:

Darling in the Franxx

That was fun, but I can't really say that it actually works. The thing is that this anime pushes almost everything to the sides - the fights, an entire alien invasion, that incredibly weird sexual innuendo stuff (I have no idea what they were going for there, but it's neither sexy nor interesting once you moved past the shock value), all in order to tell an almost sickeningly sweet, incredibly corny love story. It's not even a very interesting love story. But it's told with so much conviction and so damn seriously that I just kept getting swept up in the feeling. The ending, which is basically just that of Wall-E but somehow more full of pathos, is a good example of just that. Plus, it's really beautifully animated. I'm not sure I can exactly recommend it to anyone, but it is a wonderfully weird and flawed thing that I think everyone should watch, just so we can all complain about it together.

Mob Psycho 100

I watched the Netflix live-action version and a few episodes of the anime so far, and I actually like the live-action version more. I don't think many people will agree, because the anime version is much more unique and thus interesting. It also has more content. But live-action gets the characters across better, and I don't think the stuff they cut is actually missing.

Violet Evergarden

Great anime if your doctor says that your eyes are too dry. I love everything about it. In particular, the idea of "child who was raised as a weapon must learn how to be human and deal with emotions, including her own" is a plot that I've seen a few times before, and I really love it when done well (my main point of reference would be the X-23 comic when it was written by Marjorie Liu). This is one is absolutely superb. Beautifully drawn and acted. It's rarely surprising, e.g. in episode 10 you can tell what the letter will be within the first five minutes, but when it comes it'll still make you cry. And the story focuses almost entirely on internal conflict, which creates this weird situation where everybody (except for exactly one guy) says, "who is this weird scary robot-like girl? I want to be her friend!" But it really works. It also helps that this is clearly the most beautiful anime in this list (even though Darling in the Franxx does not make this easy, and Mob Psycho 100's style is incredibly memorable).

I keep hearing there are some fights between the Darling in the Franxx fandom and that of Violet Evergarden, and I don't understand it. For one, both shows are so different and unique that I think it's perfectly possible and reasonable to be a fan of both. But also, Violet Evergarden is so obviously so much better that I have no idea how there can be any disagreement about this.

Apart from that, I also tried watching Gurran Lagan, but it's got one of these incredibly annoying overconfident guys in its main team, and I just couldn't stand him, so I gave up after three episodes. I realise there's a chance that this is incredibly stupid of me, just like that one time where I gave up on Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood right in the middle of one incredibly boring episode where the heroes are visiting this one scientist, his daughter and her dog… (yes, I did watch the rest eventually)

I've also watched 1.5 episodes of Rokka Brave of the Six Flowers, which seems perfectly okay, but so far not like a better use of my time than rewatching Youtube videos about the London Underground. Maybe I'll watch some more of that, though.

Edit to add: Yes, I know, I need to finish Re:Zero one of these days, but again, when the choice is between watching Subaru once more screw everything up because he believes it's his right as the designated hero, or rewatching Youtube videos about the London Underground, it's not really a contest.

Second edit to add: Finished Rokka. Slow start, very good middle that just keeps getting more intense, absolutely horrible stupid ending. Don’t watch it.

Last edited by Cochrane; 05-08-18 at 15:18.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-18, 00:50   #3263
Catapharact

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
After months of not watching any anime, I've finally started up again and finished a few things:

Darling in the Franxx

That was fun, but I can't really say that it actually works. The thing is that this anime pushes almost everything to the sides - the fights, an entire alien invasion, that incredibly weird sexual innuendo stuff (I have no idea what they were going for there, but it's neither sexy nor interesting once you moved past the shock value), all in order to tell an almost sickeningly sweet, incredibly corny love story. It's not even a very interesting love story. But it's told with so much conviction and so damn seriously that I just kept getting swept up in the feeling. The ending, SPOILER, is a good example of just that. Plus, it's really beautifully animated. I'm not sure I can exactly recommend it to anyone, but it is a wonderfully weird and flawed thing that I think everyone should watch, just so we can all complain about it together.
The anime was a Joint Project between A1-Pictures (Sword Art Online, Magi, etc.) and Trigger (Gurren Lagaan, Kill La Kill, etc.) Trigger is a studio known for its VERY unique Artstyle and completely over-the-top Plot (and "plot.") I couldn't help but smirk and shake my head in amusement on the innuendo related to the pilot's a Co-Pilot's positions in the cockpit of the Franxx as it totally came across as the brainchild of Studio Trigger ; And lets not even begin with the "mahou shojou" tranformation sequence of Strelizia.

IMO the story really REALLY didn't need the
[COLOR="White"]Evangelion subplot about Space Battles and Borg Wannabes[/COLOR]
as it completely detracted from the story and brought in convolutions and plotholes that were unecessary. Having said all of that, the Art-Style and the heart-warming relationship between Hiro and Zero Two made up for a lot of the anime's drawbacks. The anime gets a 6.5 out of 10 for me personally given that the anime got a bit too "Studio Trigger" for me personally when it didn't need to.

Quote:
Violet Evergarden

Great anime if your doctor says that your eyes are too dry. I love everything about it. In particular, the idea of "child who was raised as a weapon must learn how to be human and deal with emotions, including her own" is a plot that I've seen a few times before, and I really love it when done well (my main point of reference would be the X-23 comic when it was written by Marjorie Liu). This is one is absolutely superb. Beautifully drawn and acted. It's rarely surprising, e.g. in episode 10 you can tell what the letter will be within the first five minutes, but when it comes it'll still make you cry. And the story focuses almost entirely on internal conflict, which creates this weird situation where everybody (except for exactly one guy) says, "who is this weird scary robot-like girl? I want to be her friend!" But it really works. It also helps that this is clearly the most beautiful anime in this list (even though Darling in the Franxx does not make this easy, and Mob Psycho 100's style is incredibly memorable).
Check my review of Violet Evergarden to get a better idea of my opinion on the anime but to put it simply, I agree with everything that you said. Given the fact that Violet Evergarden was animated by Studio KyoAi, it shouldn't come as a surprise that the anime envoked such a strong emotional response from its viewers.

If memory serves me right, you are quite fond of the "Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid" Anime as well. Three guesses as to which studio animated that series .

Quote:
I keep hearing there are some fights between the Darling in the Franxx fandom and that of Violet Evergarden, and I don't understand it. For one, both shows are so different and unique that I think it's perfectly possible and reasonable to be a fan of both. But also, Violet Evergarden is so obviously so much better that I have no idea how there can be any disagreement about this.
There is no contest. Violet Evergarden wins by a huge margin. The storytelling, the art, Character Development, Plot Progression... All of the important aspects that make an anime good, Violet Evergarden excels at it. Studio Trigger just has its own unique niche of Artstyle and "plot."

Unfortunately, neither show lived up to the hype as much as everyone hoped for .
Catapharact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-18, 06:03   #3264
Zreen001

Imagine if Tomb Raider had a full-blown 399+ episode anime...
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-18, 20:53   #3265
Cochrane
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapharact View Post
The anime was a Joint Project between A1-Pictures (Sword Art Online, Magi, etc.) and Trigger (Gurren Lagaan, Kill La Kill, etc.) Trigger is a studio known for its VERY unique Artstyle and completely over-the-top Plot (and "plot.") I couldn't help but smirk and shake my head in amusement on the innuendo related to the pilot's a Co-Pilot's positions in the cockpit of the Franxx as it totally came across as the brainchild of Studio Trigger ; And lets not even begin with the "mahou shojou" tranformation sequence of Strelizia.

IMO the story really REALLY didn't need the
[COLOR="White"]SPOILER[/COLOR]
as it completely detracted from the story and brought in convolutions and plotholes that were unecessary. Having said all of that, the Art-Style and the heart-warming relationship between Hiro and Zero Two made up for a lot of the anime's drawbacks. The anime gets a 6.5 out of 10 for me personally given that the anime got a bit too "Studio Trigger" for me personally when it didn't need to.
Yeah, I think there's a really great anime in there. Plenty of times it comes very close to being that. But it feels really rushed, the spoilery parts especially so.

A problem that probably only I had: I couldn't stop thinking about dutch electric trains.

Quote:
Check my review of Violet Evergarden to get a better idea of my opinion on the anime but to put it simply, I agree with everything that you said. Given the fact that Violet Evergarden was animated by Studio KyoAi, it shouldn't come as a surprise that the anime envoked such a strong emotional response from its viewers.

If memory serves me right, you are quite fond of the "Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid" Anime as well. Three guesses as to which studio animated that series .
Oh, that's the same guys? Cool! Yes, I agree with everything you say in your review as well. This is a show that knows what it wants to do, and does it perfectly.

Quote:
There is no contest. Violet Evergarden wins by a huge margin. The storytelling, the art, Character Development, Plot Progression... All of the important aspects that make an anime good, Violet Evergarden excels at it. Studio Trigger just has its own unique niche of Artstyle and "plot."

Unfortunately, neither show lived up to the hype as much as everyone hoped for .
The good thing about me not knowing much about anime and not following the news at all: I don't get hyped at all, so anything that's better than average is a pleasant surprise for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zreen001 View Post
Natla:
It's over.

Lara (lying on the floor, bruised and bleeding): Thinks about all her old friends - Zip, Alister, Jonah, Sam - and the new friends she made - Larson, Pierre, Skater and Cowboy - all smiling at her. She gets up with a defiant look on her face.

Lara:
Aaaaaaaaaaargh! (scream lasts until the ending song starts)
Old 09-08-18, 20:55   #3266
Lara's home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post

Natla:
It's over.

Lara (lying on the floor, bruised and bleeding): Thinks about all her old friends - Zip, Alister, Jonah, Sam - and the new friends she made - Larson, Pierre, Skater and Cowboy - all smiling at her. She gets up with a defiant look on her face.

Lara:
Aaaaaaaaaaargh! (scream lasts until the ending song starts)
More like

Natla: It's over, Lara

Lara (Lying on the floor, remembering all her friends)
Cue filler episodes, one episode per character
Lara's home is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-18, 21:14   #3267
Cochrane
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara's home View Post
More like

Natla: It's over, Lara

Lara (Lying on the floor, remembering all her friends)
Cue filler episodes, one episode per character
Oh god yes.

Also, can you imagine her with giant red spiky hair? Would at least end the "braid" vs. "ponytail" debates…
Old 10-08-18, 02:41   #3268
ozzman

Been watcing Sailor Moon Lately, loving it so far, i was too young to understand the story or plot so now it's a real treat, also have been watching the Original Dragon ball and holy god are there some dirty jokes that flew passed me as a kid XD
ozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-18, 10:33   #3269
Cochrane
Golden

What's everybody's opinion on "Assassination Classroom"? I'm really confused, because all the fundamentals are there, it's a nice blend of wacky and sweet story, and yet it just doesn't really click for me.

I think a fundamental issue is that it just doesn't feel very personal. None of the students (or really anyone in there) are all that well developed as characters, except one or two traits. The show seems more about characters outright telling us how sweet this all is, rather than have it develop organically.

I find myself comparing this to Beelzebub, another show where evil supernatural forces show up in a high school full of problem students but end up making them better people. That is filled to the brim with personality. Every character is unique and interesting, their relationships constantly evolve, and it all feels natural. Beelzebub was really, really not flawless, but all the personality in it is really missing here. Or maybe it's something else that my subconsciousness is looking for and not finding here, but yeah, this show just doesn't ever come together for me.
Old 14-08-18, 15:43   #3270
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zreen001 View Post
I'd watch that, I loved TR:Revisioned.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote