Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 09-01-21, 17:29   #191
not again!

^^ it's easy to miss, I did not see it at first either
not again! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-21, 13:57   #192
not again!

A question regarding the import of Lara outfits into WadTool since I can't seem to make it work - is the import of outfits supposed to work (and I'm doing something wrong), or is it just not implemented yet?
Old 15-01-21, 22:36   #193
Craig Michaels

Quote:
Originally Posted by not again! View Post
A question regarding the import of Lara outfits into WadTool since I can't seem to make it work - is the import of outfits supposed to work (and I'm doing something wrong), or is it just not implemented yet?
Maybe I’m not understanding, but I can copy the Lara outfit and joints from any WAD into a new wad2 in WadTool just fine. Is there a different step that’s causing a problem?
Craig Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-21, 23:27   #194
not again!

^^ ah, I just worded that goofily. I meant importing meshes of UV mapped outfits. The problem I'm encountering is that the joints don't connect when I import outfit meshes into WadTool. The outfit I'm trying to import works fine when I import the meshes using Strpix (all parts connect without needing to remap anything), but I'd like to take advantage of WadTools capability to import UV-mapped models.

Thank you for the reply, I completely missed that my question could be read differently than what I intended.
Old 22-01-21, 00:03   #195
adngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by not again! View Post
^^ Do you mean how to import a OBJ file into WadTool, or how to export one from WadTool?

You can't export models from WadTool.

As for importing models into WadTool:
  • select the slot you want to import the model to (you can either replace the mesh for one of the objects that are already in the wad or click the option to create a new moveable or static in the menu bar on top - this will prompt a list of available slots to choose from)
  • after you have selected the slot you should now see an option to edit the model under the render window. That option is called Edit skeleton for moveables, and Edit static model for statics.
  • in the window that pops up after you click Edit skeleton (or Edit static model) there will be the option to replace the old model with your new one. For moveables the button that lets you import your model is called replace and for statics it's called import mesh.

The exact import settings (scale and whether to invert anything) depend on your model.

If you don't know which ones you need just try a few of the presets until your model shows up, and then work from there to find the correct settings.
For instance if you don't get an error message when importing but can't see your model in the render window then it's likely too small and you need to use a bigger import scale etc.

If you used Blender with the new Wad Import addon and exported as OBJ and left all import and export setting at their default, then try to import the model into WadTool using following settings: scale 512 and select invert x-axis and invert faces.

edit: made a correction

Thanks!, I was creating the animating to transfer the head inside the wad, but I didn't know the 512 were going to work well. (That, after ensure that in Blender I have applied all the transforms, so the scale of the head there is [1.0, 1.0, 1.0] and not [0.025,0.0250.025] as I had it originally @_@).

Knowing the 512 and the process I could manage to import the mesh with more confidence.

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

(I've found a problem, when I import the mesh, it's flipped from right and left, so I use the invert X axis, but when the Inver X and Invert Z are checked, that also flips the faces, so I had to invert faces too, it took me some attemphs to find out @_@).

I don't know what problems will I find with the skint joints. I think tomorrow I'll make the chest and then I'll try to play with the neck to see what happens. O_ò

DOUBT: In this mesh, I used a head texture of 512x512, the UV map is mirrored, so the mesh is using less of the half of that texture (230px x 460px ~) How do that information pass into the new wad2? Am I loading the full 512px texture in RAM or am I loading only the parts used by the UV mapping? O_ò (Just to know if I have to cut textures or such).

Last edited by adngel; 22-01-21 at 00:06.
adngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-21, 10:20   #196
not again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adngel View Post
DOUBT: In this mesh, I used a head texture of 512x512, the UV map is mirrored, so the mesh is using less of the half of that texture (230px x 460px ~) How do that information pass into the new wad2? Am I loading the full 512px texture in RAM or am I loading only the parts used by the UV mapping? O_ò (Just to know if I have to cut textures or such).
Lwmte answered that question a while back and if I understood correctly, then the textures are internally split up into something similar to what Strpix uses, so only those parts of the texture that are actually applied to a face should be used.
Old 22-01-21, 13:41   #197
adngel

Thank you! :3 Is something interesting and useful to know.

About Skin Joints, I've tried to import some mesh joints, but I had not success with that.

I can execute the game with them, but they are not connected properly (the neck is connecting the chest with the left arm).

Some insights of my attempts:

- I tried a custom neck (using the original one but adding some vertices on the top to match with my custom head, so instead of 6, they are 10 vertices at the top now), when I imported in the game, it connects the chest with the left arm (near the elbow). I've tried it with my custom head, and the original PoYu's Kurtis's head, but the issue with the neck it's the same.

- Later, I restore the skin and skin joints to the originals, I exported the waist (with the Blender plugin) and I reimported in the wad again, there when I imported it to the game, it worked fine. It connected the chest and hip properly and no errors were visible that time.

- Then I tried to repeat it with the neck, I openend the original wad in Blender, and I exported the neck without making any modification, but when I open it in the game, It connect bad (some vertices connects with Kurtis's top head, other connects with the left hand). (With PoYu Kurtis and my custom head)

- For curiosity, I tried later change the UV map of that neck and import in wadtool, the same problem of the previous attempt happened, but the new UV texturing was working fine on the stretching mesh.

I don't know why the waist worked and the neck didn't, but I feel the only problem is related with the vertex remapping, any way to tell those vertices where to connect. (in Blender I connected them with the "vertex snap" tool so there are not gaps.)

Also, unlike my custom head, looks like that to import the skin joints in wadtool2, keeping the correct laterality, I had to chosse the next options:

I feel that I won't be able to do outfits joint meshes yet -.-u

But indeed it's quite possible to make other characters and enemies, so I'm quite happy with it. Hopefully the vertices remap will get implemmented on future versions.
adngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-21, 14:31   #198
not again!

There is a workaround for remapping vertices in Blender - you remap the untextured outfit in Strpix, export as .mqo since that will keep the vertex order, and then copy the vertex indices over to your UV-mapped model in Blender (there is an addon to copy vertex indices), and then export as .obj with "keep vertex order" ticked.

But currently it does not seem to matter whether the joint vertices are remapped or not, they will not connect regardless.
I was just wondering whether joints are officially not implemented yet, or if it's a bug.
Old 22-01-21, 17:06   #199
Richard_trle

I have a problem with animating and collisions

They do not seem to work, what am I doing wrong?

I have created an animation they calculated the bounding box, however there is no ingame collision, what am I doing wrong? Or is moveable collisions disabled/unimplemented in WadTool
Richard_trle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-21, 19:53   #200
LoreRaider

^what's the slot? iirc animatings from 12mip to 16mip has no collision at all even if you set that properly
LoreRaider is online now   Reply With Quote