Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 19-02-21, 21:29   #1
Lycanthropus R

Default Which version is better, Xbox 360 or PS3?

Hi all, it has been a while since I last posted here. Anyway, I've only played Anniversary on the PS2 but I now own the game on PS3 via the Trilogy Collection.

I'm looking to play the game again and from my research, the PS3 version is upgraded from the PS2 version whereas the 360 version was specific for that platform so I'm going to look to pick that version up too.

I can't find any comparison videos on YouTube so for those that have played the game on both platforms, which version did you prefer and why?
Lycanthropus R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-21, 22:43   #2
EyeOfHorus

The 360 version had the DLC so I had to have that version.
EyeOfHorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-21, 07:37   #3
Obi_Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfHorus View Post
The 360 version had the DLC so I had to have that version.
What? I'm pretty sure Anniversary (yes, Anniversary - not Underworld) didn't had any DLCs. TRA itself was initially released as DLC for Legend, but it also got standalone box edition later.

Still, PS3 and X360 ports are quite similiar in terms of graphics quality. Both have better textures, "next-gen" Lara model and water effects, improved lighting and shadows. I'm not sure about the framerate though - on PS3 it's jarring at times (but still kinda typical for multiplatform games from that era). I replayed Trilogy on PS3 last month and it wasn't that bad

Last edited by Obi_Black; 20-02-21 at 10:32.
Obi_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-21, 15:00   #4
JAMJOOM

Default love this

The xbox version is better but it's too bright
& you can play it on 4K resolution . Isn't that enough?
JAMJOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-21, 22:16   #5
EyeOfHorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi_Black View Post
What? I'm pretty sure Anniversary (yes, Anniversary - not Underworld) didn't had any DLCs. TRA itself was initially released as DLC for Legend, but it also got standalone box edition later.

Still, PS3 and X360 ports are quite similiar in terms of graphics quality. Both have better textures, "next-gen" Lara model and water effects, improved lighting and shadows. I'm not sure about the framerate though - on PS3 it's jarring at times (but still kinda typical for multiplatform games from that era). I replayed Trilogy on PS3 last month and it wasn't that bad
Ah yes my bad
EyeOfHorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-21, 01:56   #6
Boobandie

The PS3 version has models with the most detail has it was remastered for the PS3 Trilogy release. Lara's shoulders are smoother, her eyebrows fixed, straps are more 3D, improved light rendering etc.

The Xbox360 version came out alongside the PS2 and PC versions. As far as I know the only differences between those versions aside from output resolution is that the 360 version got Legend's reflective water effects.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-21, 10:02   #7
Obi_Black

I checked some gameplay videos from X360 and PS3 and that's right - PS3 Lara definitely looks better.

Just as at JAMJOOM screenshot, form the left: PS3, X360 and PC. I always thought that X360 and PS3 version are identical
Obi_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-21, 14:11   #8
jajay119

It's not next gen, but I will always show some love for the Wii version.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 06:58   #9
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
As far as I know the only differences between those versions aside from output resolution is that the 360 version got Legend's reflective water effects.
It was more than just different water effects. TRA on the 360 (and PS3) runs on the Xbox 360 version of the Legend engine. The water is the most obvious difference between the two versions of the engine, but there's also things like real time shadows (though unfortunately in TRA those only work on movable objects and characters), a different lighting engine and somewhat smoother rendering.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-21, 19:25   #10
ajrich17901

Haven't played the 360 one so I wont comment on it but I'm playing the ps3 one now and this is based on that

- checkpoint/updating profile is annoying
- glitch on Lara globes to make em look white
- lots of frame rate issues especially during Egypt and Atlantis
- weird effects that make her legs look ghostly white during random parts.

Only plus is the better looking character models and some higher res textures. PC is the way to play I'd say due to mods
ajrich17901 is offline   Reply With Quote