www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 05-01-21, 02:24   #17881
AimlessThunder
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
Not because the rights are owned by GK Films ... so first we have to wait to see what happens with MGM. It is something that is going to take us a while.

Maybe the release of "No time tu die" will give us some information ... depending on whether it is a success or a failure. The future of MGM depends on that movie.
Oh. I see. Thank you for the clarification. I hope that we will get another movie. Square should really use this opportunity to make a CGI movie.
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-21, 15:05   #17882
ccroft2003
Archaeologist

Just because MGM has gone up for sale, doesn't mean they won't push on with projects they own like TR... if anything, it'll make the company more valuable by having another successful franchise (yes, I know the 1st film wasn't that successful).

What's happening here is all down to the delay of BOND and the logistics of COVID. Once Bond is released and MGM receive some capital, TR will likely go ahead. This will likely tie-in with COVID becoming less prevalent and it being easier for the film to shoot in multiple countries.
Old 06-01-21, 17:36   #17883
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

The other problem is that MGM holding Bond is costing them millions and it is a certainty that if it receives a early to mid 2021 theatre release it won't make profit for the during these times. Even with the promise of a vaccine they possible won't have enough immunity around the world by then to lift certain restrictions like full theatre capacities.

The sale could be used to settle debt that they have and to make bigger projects but if Bond is delayed further or a sale happens first either way we are in a state of pergatory for now. Best case scenario for the immediate future would be someone buying Bond for a streamer at the 800 million asking price so they can make TR2 and release it when the timing is right.

Shooting around Covid restrictions is getting worse too a lot of productions in the UK have started to shut down again Doctor Strange being the latest if these types of delays happened to a smaller company like MGM it could mean financial ruin.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 06-01-21 at 17:40.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-21, 21:34   #17884
SoraSakai
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccroft2003 View Post
Just because MGM has gone up for sale, doesn't mean they won't push on with projects they own like TR... if anything, it'll make the company more valuable by having another successful franchise (yes, I know the 1st film wasn't that successful).

What's happening here is all down to the delay of BOND and the logistics of COVID. Once Bond is released and MGM receive some capital, TR will likely go ahead. This will likely tie-in with COVID becoming less prevalent and it being easier for the film to shoot in multiple countries.
None of that was accurate or based in reality.
Old 10-01-21, 23:33   #17885
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

I am pretty sure TR is dead and retired now, otherwise we would have had news about the next game already. The only possible explanation is that there's no next game and there never will be. Maybe in two decades they decide to activate the series again. Wonder why it died.
Old 10-01-21, 23:42   #17886
SoraSakai
Professor

This thread is about the movies.
Old 11-01-21, 00:57   #17887
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
This thread is about the movies.
Sorry. Lol Don't know how I came to be here. Damn small cellphone screen! The movies aren't dead, it's just Covid postponed everything.
Old 14-01-21, 10:28   #17888
killchan
Archaeologist

damn, I hoped to get an actual sequel to TR2013 at least in movie form.
oh well.
Old 14-01-21, 12:51   #17889
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
damn, I hoped to get an actual sequel to TR2013 at least in movie form.
oh well.
Nothing has been said for now but with the report of James Bond 007 No time to Care it's possible someone else gonna pick the rights for the movie (Amazon/Apple or Warner and start to roll depending of the situation).

Maybe when Ben is gonna talk about his new movie we will have news.
Old 14-01-21, 14:56   #17890
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Nothing has been said for now but with the report of James Bond 007 No time to Care it's possible someone else gonna pick the rights for the movie (Amazon/Apple or Warner and start to roll depending of the situation).

Maybe when Ben is gonna talk about his new movie we will have news.
Ellioft, I admire your positivity but that is not going to happen. We have to be realists...

According to rumors "No time to die" is delayed to October ... MGM for sale ... if someone buys MGM it will take years to restructure projects. GK Films will have to partner with new studios ... anyway a very long process. I don't see them filming a sequel to TR2018 in 2023. Better to assume that the situation is veeeeery complicated ... you will not have disappointments.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 14-01-21 at 15:00.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote