www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 20-03-21, 22:26   #1
Dennis's Mom

Default Zach Snyder's Justice League

So no one really liked the 2017 Justice League movie. The director, Zach Snyder, left the movie after his daughter died and the studio said the movie could only be two hours.

Enter Joss Whedon who did some rewriting and finished the movie.

Well, fans got loud and now Zach Snyder has put together his director's cut--the movie he was planning on releasing. It's 4.5 hours long.

And it's sooooo much better. I remember very little from the first film: Superman's resurrection and a random Russian family that I was supposed to care about.

We were almost two hours in and I said to my husband, "I don't think we're going to see that Russian family at all." And we didn't. It was a Whedon creation.

This movie has loads more backstory, character arcs and less cute stupid stuff. The characters make sense here. It didn't feel rushed. We enjoyed it.

So if you've got a lot of time and HBO Max, I recommend giving it a try.

Spoiler warning, but here's a breakdown of all the changes in the new film.

https://www.insider.com/zack-snyder-...erences-2021-3
Old 22-03-21, 15:31   #2
James_Rutland
Tomb Raider

Watched it yesterday. It was an experience. Was immersed every second of it, hope we see more of this universe after the positive response.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-21, 15:44   #3
Ashnod
Professor

It's still a disjointed, ugly mess.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-21, 20:46   #4
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I loved it way more than the Josstice League but it did feel like a first cut of a film at times and some of the pace and scenes didn’t flow, also for a Justice League movie the longer run time setting up things like the Amazon battle for the mother box and the scenes in Themyscira took away from the focus of the main team.

I did think it was a far superior film and the characters were really well fleshed out besides maybe Wonder Woman who could have been used as more than a plot device. They really did Cyborg dirty in that original film.
Old 22-03-21, 21:56   #5
KManX89
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashnod View Post
It's still a disjointed, ugly mess.
No it's not, it's an amazing movie with great pacing, fleshed-out characters and a villain actually worth giving a damn about, unlike the Frankensteined Josstice League with MUCH better action scenes to boot.

I'll definitely be picking this up in 4K when it leaves HBO Max.
KManX89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-21, 07:31   #6
Amunet
Archaeologist

I watched it this weekend and loved it!

I was a bit apprehensive about the runtime, thinking there was no way I was going to watch it in one sitting, but honestly, I barely noticed the time. The story really works like this, with time to build up and flesh out the characters. Definitely an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT experience than the theatrical cut. Now that was a disjointed mess!
Old 23-03-21, 14:19   #7
James_Rutland
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KManX89 View Post
No it's not, it's an amazing movie with great pacing, fleshed-out characters and a villain actually worth giving a damn about, unlike the Frankensteined Josstice League with MUCH better action scenes to boot.

I'll definitely be picking this up in 4K when it leaves HBO Max.
I pre-ordered the 4K the moment it went live on Amazon UK. I think this is going to sell very well, hopefully enough for them to reconsider giving Snyder another shot to finish.

If all else fails this is a very good movie to end it on, you can make up the rest from what Snyder has mentioned in interviews with regards to where he wanted to take the story if it was to continue. I'd be very interested to see how
Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
I watched it this weekend and loved it!

I was a bit apprehensive about the runtime, thinking there was no way I was going to watch it in one sitting, but honestly, I barely noticed the time. The story really works like this, with time to build up and flesh out the characters. Definitely an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT experience than the theatrical cut. Now that was a disjointed mess!
I can't even bring myself to watch the other version. I'm so glad I waited. Curious to watch it just to see the differences but just... no

Last edited by James_Rutland; 23-03-21 at 14:20.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-21, 19:49   #8
dg1995
Explorer

I watched it and it is so awesome !

The 2018 version is like a bastardized version of Snyder Cut.(The 2018 version cut all of the awesome fight scenes moments.)

Watching this movie was like watching a good Justice League cartoon that is turned into a movie.

I hope they make the sequels ...
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-21, 22:52   #9
Profc
Archaeologist

I really liked this version. My favourite JL member made a small cameo in it as well.

I really feel that Joss Whedon messed up the 2017 movie. I understand shortening the length of the movie, but it's clear that so many horrible decisions were also made. What was the point of completely re-shooting the final action scene? Flash was nearly useless in the Whedon cut. His powers and abilities were really fleshed out this time. Seriously what was the point of putting a family in the middle of an abandoned town that looked like chernobyl? I still don't get that. Batman's intro in the Whedon cut also made zero sense.

This time around Mera scene was awesome as well. Every single character got their chance to shine.
Old 29-03-21, 09:40   #10
Teone
Student

I don't remember the 2017 version.
Perhaps I didn't watch it, or perhaps I forget superheroes movies few minutes after the trailing titles.
Superhero movies usually bore me, but not this one. There's a good pace. I enjoyed it.

I watched it splitted in two different evenings because I also have a life.
To be honest, it's not a 4 hours film because the last 30 minutes are a big cliffhanger (or teaser) for the next film.

I also like the 4:3 format. It helps the viewer to be more focused.
Teone is offline   Reply With Quote