www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 03-03-21, 14:34   #1
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Default Storylines that just drag on and on

It's quite possibly the most annoying thing to happen in TV shows, storylines that just drag on and on seemingly with no end in sight.

Long story short there's a too long running story line on Holby City where a doctor is going around killing patients and no-one seems to notice.

A few characters including the hospital CEO have suspicions but haven't acted on them and investigated the death of each patient.

He's killed 4 patients the first patient he killed was a psycho who raped a friend of his, he gave him an overdose and let him die this was somehow missed by the security camera in the ICU.

The second patient he killed was someone whose stitches he cut after the patient had come out of surgery and the patient bled to death despite being taken back to surgery to try and save the patient.

The 3rd patient he killed died after he knowingly told a junior doctor to give a patient the wrong medication then he denied everything, the junior doctor then attempted to commit suicide, the idiot that caused her to attempt suicide saved her.

He was also responsible for the death of a doctor who was going to expose him for killing the psycho, he abandoned his patients and left the hospital and chased after him and caused him to step out onto the road in front of a cyclist who collided with him and caused him to hit his head hard when he hit the ground, the guy who was chasing him ran away and left him there.

In last night's episode he killed the guy who collided with the doctor when he said that he was going to the police to tell them what had happened, the only thing is he already did tell the police which the shows writers and producers clearly forgot about, in the incident which happened a year ago in the TV show he could be seen giving a statement to the police which contradicts his claim in last night's episode that he ran away before the police arrived.

The doctor has become the next Harold Shipman and even though it's only fiction in a hospital filled with patients, doctors and other staff members and with CCTV everywhere he hasn't been seen doing anything suspicious.

This long running story line has been going on for over a year, time for it to end it's boring now.

Here's a post I made about him in the annoying characters in movies and TV shows topic
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...&postcount=148

This wouldn't be the first time Holby City has had a story line that went on for longer than was necessary, a few years ago there was a story line with a character that was eventually diagnosed as Bipolar, it went on and on for ages and it wasn't long before watching her go nuts in every episode became boring, then there was the year long story line with yet another doctor with a massive ego convinced that he could bring patients back from the dead, every episode for an entire year was dominated by both him and his reverse death story line, he had only one good episode during his year in Holby City and that was the one episode that he wasn't in.

There was a similar story line in the Irish soap opera Fair City which I don't watch but only know about because it was in the papers at the time, long story short guy kidnaps someone and keeps her prisoner in a cargo container for an entire year and no-one seems to notice that she's missing and the police didn't bother to look for her either.

How she survived a year inside the cargo container without suffocating I'll never know.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 14:44   #2
Ashnod
Professor

Sylar in Heroes.

Realistically, his story ended at the end of Season 1. And the writers kept coming up with convoluted ways to keep him in the narrative. There was no point to keeping him, no good in allowing his character to continue, regardless of how good Zachary Quinto was.

It ruined the show, which was already having problems in Season 2.

EVERYTHING, in the end, turned out to be just about Sylar (and, to a lesser extent, Peter), and the writers simply didn't know what to do with him. They just knew they didn't want to get rid of him.

Same with Spike in Buffy post-season 3. It's interesting to hear James Marsters speak about the experience now, his interpretation that if he'd been in Joss Whedon's shoes he'd have killed Spike off immediately once it was clear the fans were latching onto the character. It's fascinating that it's clear there wasn't an overarching plan for the character - the writers reacted to the fanbase and gave the fanbase what they wanted. And that's doubly interesting when you hear Amber Benson talk about the fact that Tara was killed specifically because Joss was in love with the Dark Willow idea and that was his plan to enact it and couldn't be talked away from it, but he was unhappy with the role Spike was allowed to play and did nothing to change it.

What a strange production that show seems to have had.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-21, 12:53   #3
Cochrane
Golden

^ Oh yeah, good examples, both of them.

Yeah, the stories about Buffy's production just keep getting worse the more time goes on.

Sylar, that brings back memories. Yeah, Heroes was a right mess. Interesting, for the time, but what a mess.
Old 04-03-21, 14:46   #4
Lara_Fan1
Tomb Raider

I can't think of anything specific but the story-lines I can't stand are;

Who Done It - When a character is murder and then the tv show spends months on end having us guess who the murderer actually is. It just drags on to the point where I either don't care anymore or I forget that storyline is on going.

Another one that annoys me, this might be a bit controversial but when a character gets diagnosed with cancer but refuses to tell anyone. An it's dragged out as some dirty little secret and it's only revealed when something happens to said person and they end up in hospital. Only then are they forced to tell someone.
Old 04-03-21, 15:17   #5
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I think 'who killed' storylines are always dragged on way too long such as the 'who killed Lucy Beale' story in EastEnders and 'who killed tom King' in Emmerdale- both of which went on for an entire year before being revealed. By that time I just don't see how people care anymore as it gets boring. I dont watch Emmerdale but the EastEnders one was a bust.
Old 04-03-21, 15:24   #6
Lara_Fan1
Tomb Raider

^

Oh that annoyed me. We waited a year only to find out it was Bobby that killed her? Bad writing at it's finest.
Old 04-03-21, 15:37   #7
Cochrane
Golden

It's been too long for me to remember any particular storyline, but I know in my heart that Lost must be on here.

In Gossip Girl, the whole Dan/Sabrina romance just got old. Together, not together, together, not together… I stopped watching at some point, but my guess is that by the final season, they must have split up and gotten back together more than once per episode.

From a completely different direction: There's nothing worse than long-running animes. The arcs and fights just keep getting longer and longer, until you get to a point where you're at the end of a five-episode long fight, and you can't remember what they were fighting about anymore. Probably friendship, right? It happens in Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail (yes really spelled that way) and many, many others.
Old 04-03-21, 15:42   #8
Los Angeles
Inactive

Every Latin American telenovela ever.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-21, 16:04   #9
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

Ooo, this just reminded me of American Horror Story. I’m super late to that party but I’ve been watching it since a bit late last year. Recently finished season 4.
I’ve watched Murder House, Asylum, Coven, and Freakshow.

For the most part they’re all very well done. I think the things it does it does right. Acting is superb, the main plot is very interesting, the finales are usually really good!

However, it has this knack constantly in each season so far to introduce so much at once and to keep introducing so much that if I don’t binge the whole thing in one sitting I come back not remembering most of the sub plots. A lot of those sub plots go on a bit too long or the flip side is they happen, it seems like it should be a bigger deal in the story, and then they never touch on it again. I can’t really go into examples without spoiling it

For the most part these seasons are around 12-15 episodes long and they really do not need to be. I finished the last season Freakshow at 4am and every hour since starting it at 11pm the night before I kept thinking “okay, this is the last episode.” and without fail, another episode is next. “Okay... this has to be the last episode..”

Another issue the show has is introducing filler episodes, as I call them. Now that the show has exhausted a lot of the main plot and sub plots, let’s bring in a completely new character or plot for an episode or two. Just because. Usually, they’ll last till the end and feel like it was really forced into the show. Sometimes they bring it in, have one episode about it, and never speak of it again. The pacing is horrible IMO.

The only thing keeping me coming back is Jessica Lange. She is a powerhouse. If Jessica Lange told me to go jump off a cliff I just might go do it She’s such a phenomenal actress. She does such a great job in each and every role she has played on the series. She is 71 and has to be the only woman that age that still could be on the cover of Playboy magazine or something, except maybe Dolly Parton at 75 now haha
Old 04-03-21, 16:20   #10
dg1995
Explorer

Exclamation

When I was a kid I watched Yugioh and boy, that anime had too many filler arcs that rarely added anything to the story.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote