Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 20-09-19, 09:43   #61
_Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
And?

Are we asking for downgrades now?
And nothing else, I was just disputing your original made up point about hubs on 360 Rise not working.

_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-19, 09:32   #62
Uzi master

Some of these statements people are making are absolutely ridiculous.

Doom was not rebuilt for the switch. You wouldn't need to rebuilt Shadow from scratch to run on last gen. They literally ran Rise on it fine, with graphical downgrades sure, but that's nowhere in the same field as "rebuilding from scratch." The DS version of underworld was 'rebuilt from scratch,' Rise on the 360 was not.

The Shadow engine is just a new iteration of the one they were using for Rise, and 2013 before that, which was itself made for those consoles. You can spout 'architecture' as much as you like, but you clearly don't know what that means if you are. None of the new demanding features are game-play integral, it's all graphical and could be disabled.

And there's no realistic way the new TR is going to have features too advanced for current gen consoles to handle. Processing power isn't advancing like it used to. The jump from PS1 to PS2 was significant, PS2 to PS3 less so, and PS3 to PS4? Sure the graphics are a lot nicer, but has there been anything that couldn't be done before?
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-19, 09:40   #63
SoraSakai
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi master View Post
Some of these statements people are making are absolutely ridiculous.

Doom was not rebuilt for the switch. You wouldn't need to rebuilt Shadow from scratch to run on last gen. They literally ran Rise on it fine, with graphical downgrades sure, but that's nowhere in the same field as "rebuilding from scratch." The DS version of underworld was 'rebuilt from scratch,' Rise on the 360 was not.

The Shadow engine is just a new iteration of the one they were using for Rise, and 2013 before that, which was itself made for those consoles. You can spout 'architecture' as much as you like, but you clearly don't know what that means if you are. None of the new demanding features are game-play integral, it's all graphical and could be disabled.

And there's no realistic way the new TR is going to have features too advanced for current gen consoles to handle. Processing power isn't advancing like it used to. The jump from PS1 to PS2 was significant, PS2 to PS3 less so, and PS3 to PS4? Sure the graphics are a lot nicer, but has there been anything that couldn't be done before?
Shhhhh shhhh. Just give up. I mean you’re right but, trust me. It’s a losing fight.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-19, 09:52   #64
Tomb Raidering

^
Admitting defeat Sora? That’s not the Sora I know (from your posts)

If they wanted, they could have backported it.

Could they bother with a cross-gen release? I think not.
Would it be great if there is? Absolutely!
What would happen to TRF if not? ........................
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-19, 16:21   #65
Shing
Unverified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi master View Post
...and PS3 to PS4? Sure the graphics are a lot nicer, but has there been anything that couldn't be done before?
Current gen has a CPU problem. AMD barely had hardware against Intel before Ryzen series... and those PC processors were clocked at 3,5Ghz+ with high TDP.

Now, the XO has this old AMD CPU clocked at... 1,75Ghz. (PS4 isn't better either)

This is why we suffer and don't see big gameplay changes, the hardware will never handle it. Because of this many new AAA games are running on PC with 10-11 year old Intel quad processors.
SOTTR too. (Q9650 release date is 2008 and it handles the game at 60FPS+)

So while we had a hardware upgrade, it wasn't really a generation jump except for GPU. I can see current TR games running on X360. As others said ROTR already worked and it has HUBs, etc.

On topic, this is why i want a next-gen console exclusive Tomb Raider game. Finally using some new tech on 16 thread Ryzen CPU. Now that will be a generation leap.
Shing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 09:16   #66
Raider8

from what i think is that the next gen consoles are gonna be coming in 2020 and the next TR game in 2021/2022 so it's fair to assume they would be on next consoles. However them releasing it on all consoles would be really really unlikely. PC? we all know it's just a matter of right customizations with the old hardware and you'll be good to go since there are low, medium, high and ultra presets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
off topic, but DAMN you're avatar is just GORGEOUS! didn't know a modern render of the classic badass woman would be this cool. The reboot lara is a cry baby in front of this personality, hands down.
Raider8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 22:25   #67
Uzi master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shing View Post
Current gen has a CPU problem. AMD barely had hardware against Intel before Ryzen series... and those PC processors were clocked at 3,5Ghz+ with high TDP.

Now, the XO has this old AMD CPU clocked at... 1,75Ghz. (PS4 isn't better either)

This is why we suffer and don't see big gameplay changes, the hardware will never handle it. Because of this many new AAA games are running on PC with 10-11 year old Intel quad processors.
SOTTR too. (Q9650 release date is 2008 and it handles the game at 60FPS+)

So while we had a hardware upgrade, it wasn't really a generation jump except for GPU. I can see current TR games running on X360. As others said ROTR already worked and it has HUBs, etc.

On topic, this is why i want a next-gen console exclusive Tomb Raider game. Finally using some new tech on 16 thread Ryzen CPU. Now that will be a generation leap.
The processor, while weak compared to PC's, is still a lot stronger than last gen, so no it wasn't a GPU-only generation. If the power increase there didn't let anything new be done, I doubt the jump to Ryzen will.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-19, 08:17   #68
klona
Golden

I really don't see the point in wasting resources to make an inferior version of a game. It's just a total waste of money that could've gone into making an actually good game. I'm sure Rise suffered because of that.

But hypothetically, if that didn't affect the game's development cycle, making a version of the game for an old gen console would come with really big compromises to make the game playable on old gen consoles.

Devs would have to balance between making graphics look like stone age and removing like 70% of NPCs (e.g. big hubs like Paititi). It's the big hubs with very large draw distance that are the problem. We're only gonna see them get bigger and more complex.

Like if SOTTR was available on old gen, it would be a shadow of its original form.
it would be a SHADOW, get it? =)))))))))
klona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-19, 09:06   #69
Maverin

First of all. The discussion above is pretty pointless as neither of you work in the gaming industry and actually know how development works. I don't either. You're just speculating and spewing random 'facts' around based on some light to read articles, which aren't a reliable source either. I personally tend to believe that it would be possible to make Shadow for the PS3 or xbox360. Games such as JAKII ran on the ps2 while rendering huge hubs.

Anyway. To go back to the O.P. question: that would be really beneficial. It would allow the developers to focus much more on that one console and polish the game where it needs to be polished. They could really optimize it. Just like Naughty dog usually makes a game only for one console. They could always make HD remasters later if the game turned out to be a huge succes like TLOU.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-19, 09:12   #70
RAID

It all depends on when they will be released. If they are looking at a 2020/2021 release then chances are it will be cross-gen.

Any later than those dates, it would probably be next-gen exclusive. But I have been wrong before.
RAID is offline   Reply With Quote