Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 23-08-19, 05:41   #1
dg1995

Default Did TRLE damaged chronicles ?

I read that they had to make a TR level editor alongside this game. Was that level editor the main reason this game was shorter compare to previous games?

Not saying that TRLE was a mistake(It wasn't). It's just I'm curious that how much time it took Core Design to make it.
Since making a level editor would require making an easy to use editor for modders. Which might have been time consuming.
dg1995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-19, 06:03   #2
Boobandie

As I recall the Level Editor was handed to a different team, (was it the one that was going to make TR4Gold?) so it wouldn't have taken a toll on Chronicles.

Chronicles did however, take the senior core staff away from the first year of AOD, resulting in a lost year when the stuff the new guys made was mostly unusable and locked them into poor engine decisions that only got worse as development went on.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-19, 07:58   #3
UroshUchiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
As I recall the Level Editor was handed to a different team, (was it the one that was going to make TR4Gold?) so it wouldn't have taken a toll on Chronicles.

Chronicles did however, take the senior core staff away from the first year of AOD, resulting in a lost year when the stuff the new guys made was mostly unusable and locked them into poor engine decisions that only got worse as development went on.
I remember people saying how when the senior staff came back from Chronicles to go help on AOD they were shocked how everything was falling apart and they had to rush to fix what they could before the deadline.
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-19, 11:59   #4
sackboy123

It's possible since they had to write a full manual too
sackboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-19, 15:22   #5
Joey79100

^
As mentionned by Boobandie, and in the Manuel itself, it was written by someone from the Gold team.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-19, 15:34   #6
tomee

Sorry if I sound stupid here, but... TRLE had to be... made? Isn't it the very same software they used to create TR4 and a slightly upgraded version of it for TRC? I thought all they had to do was release it. That it was already right there, ready to be used any time.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-19, 16:34   #7
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
Sorry if I sound stupid here, but... TRLE had to be... made? Isn't it the very same software they used to create TR4 and a slightly upgraded version of it for TRC? I thought all they had to do was release it. That it was already right there, ready to be used any time.
You're right . According to Meagan's book , the only struggle they had with it was writing the manual for it (said mission was assigned to a few members of the team) and that could hardly do any damage to the development of the accompanying game , especially if that game was Chronicles , a game that was born to be doomed and was not made of Core's own volition .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-19, 00:41   #8
Joey79100

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
Yes, but not exactly. Since they were not distributing all the tools but only the room editor, they had to change a few things to make things "ready for the Public". Also a few things have been taken off the engine itself, like the cutscene functionality or FMV.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-19, 10:28   #9
larafan25

well if anything, all of the custom levels would make up for it anyways. <3
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-19, 10:29   #10
Dustie

Not really,

as explained before the editor was just an addition and probably took a week (if not less) to reassemble the TR4 code for the watered-down version which is included in TRLE while the manual was written by Rebecca Shearin and Gary LaRochelle, who worked on Gold games.

(and that is interesting, because they aren't credited for designing any of the TR4 levels, meaning some of the errors in the manual might be attributed to the fact they themselves had to learn the TR4 version of RoomEdit first...)
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote