www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 26-10-18, 16:46   #1
Legends
Tomb Raider

Default Red Dead Redemption II

Anyone playing it? I am absolutely loving it so far!
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-18, 16:51   #2
TRfan23
Gold Contributor

This is going to be either a Birthday or Christmas present for me so not yet

I've heard very good things, which I was expecting any ways.
Old 26-10-18, 17:00   #3
Alex Fly
Legend

Not yet but I can't wait to give it a try. I loved the first game so much.
Old 26-10-18, 17:04   #4
Mickybyrne20
Professor

So far so good. I'm not far into it right now. Got it from Tesco today. I'm excited, and the story seems compelling enough.
Old 26-10-18, 17:55   #5
Nenya awakens
Tomb Raider

Waiting as I just bought Vampyr & FF Zodiac age so they’ll keep me going for a bit!
Old 26-10-18, 18:45   #6
Isaac
Relic Hunter

I'll wait for the PC version since, judging by GTA 5, it will be the optimal experience (minus all the hacks that could happen online, hopefully Rockstar fixed that).

That being said, I've been following closely the development and articles and I can't say I'm excited. There seem to be a vast amount of gimmicks for the sake of realism: eating, rolling up your sleeves, changing clothes to not be "too hot", shaving, your gang leaving without you and so on. To me they sound like an obstacle to an overall very beautiful and detailed world I would just want to explore. Games need to be games, otherwise it becomes work and seeking food and taking care of your health is something we already do in real life, to me it's a burden to transfert that into a game.

I've also seen people report that everything is slow and clunky, including looting (slow animations), walking (feels like a tank) and the controls aren't intuitive neither (Close to a Konami code for various actions). Some argue that it adds to the "cinematic" experience and it's immersive and fair to them, but that's just not in line with what I find fun in a game. I don't want half of my playtime being about watching my characters repeat the same slow animations over and over again.

All this to say I'm a bit more reserved to dive in now. In a big open world where you will likely spend +40 hours, slow animations are a deal breaker to me, especially if they're mandatory (e.g. looting).

Also can't say the main playable character is interesting to me. He looks very generic compared to the colorful and extravagant cast from GTA5, the cocky nature of Alexios/Kassandra in AC:Odyssey or the charming Peter Parker (Spider Man PS4)... Though I guess it's to expected with the serious tone.

Last edited by Isaac; 26-10-18 at 18:52.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-18, 19:06   #7
redfox45
Archaeologist

I've heard the Horse testicles shrink in cold weather

I played and beat the first one and I didn't really think it was anything special, much as I was hoping it would be. So i'm very reluctant despite hearing how much more content the game has compared to the first.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-18, 11:06   #8
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

I can already tell that this is going to be one of my favourite games (I loved the first one so much!) but this is such a busy time of my life and unfortunately I won't be able to play it until mid November.... I really wish I could play it now!

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 27-10-18 at 11:09.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-18, 13:49   #9
Mr GaGa
Relic Hunter

Eh seems overhyped to me, I'm gonna wait for a sale. I still have not beat the first one as I lost interest in it

Last edited by Mr GaGa; 27-10-18 at 14:00.
Mr GaGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-18, 13:57   #10
Legends
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickybyrne20 View Post
So far so good. I'm not far into it right now. Got it from Tesco today. I'm excited, and the story seems compelling enough.
I'm about 15h in, and I still feel like I'm at the beginning. I like the story a lot. So far it's been interesting and entertaining, and I know a lot of these characters already from the first game. I didn't expect it to be that closely connected, but I am totally loving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
I'll wait for the PC version since, judging by GTA 5, it will be the optimal experience (minus all the hacks that could happen online, hopefully Rockstar fixed that).

That being said, I've been following closely the development and articles and I can't say I'm excited. There seem to be a vast amount of gimmicks for the sake of realism: eating, rolling up your sleeves, changing clothes to not be "too hot", shaving, your gang leaving without you and so on. To me they sound like an obstacle to an overall very beautiful and detailed world I would just want to explore. Games need to be games, otherwise it becomes work and seeking food and taking care of your health is something we already do in real life, to me it's a burden to transfert that into a game.

I've also seen people report that everything is slow and clunky, including looting (slow animations), walking (feels like a tank) and the controls aren't intuitive neither (Close to a Konami code for various actions). Some argue that it adds to the "cinematic" experience and it's immersive and fair to them, but that's just not in line with what I find fun in a game. I don't want half of my playtime being about watching my characters repeat the same slow animations over and over again.

All this to say I'm a bit more reserved to dive in now. In a big open world where you will likely spend +40 hours, slow animations are a deal breaker to me, especially if they're mandatory (e.g. looting).

Also can't say the main playable character is interesting to me. He looks very generic compared to the colorful and extravagant cast from GTA5, the cocky nature of Alexios/Kassandra in AC:Odyssey or the charming Peter Parker (Spider Man PS4)... Though I guess it's to expected with the serious tone.

I would have bought it on PC as well if they released it at the same time. I wish they would give PC some more love. Now I have to buy this game on PC later, but at least I know it's worth it.

There's a few things that could have maybe been a little faster in Red Dead 2. Like the fact that you have to walk slow in your camp for example. It's kinda annoying. I do like that the animations are slower than usual though. They aren't slow to the point of it being boring, it's just actual animations for specific things, which make sense. I love that the character has weight to him. It doesn't feel like a rag-doll that just flies everywhere. You can't even jump in Assassins Creed, and everything is automated, which I've never liked. The game looks great, but press forward and the game does the rest. Still do this day. The looting in AC:Odyssey is a joke, and it's super boring. I'm actually fine that it's quick, but anything else in an Assassins Creed game would be worse. All you find is Dracmae everywhere. "Malaka!". I've been playing Odyssey for a week now, and compared to Red Dead 2, it feels lighter, but way more inaccurate and unpolished. Also there is just as much customizations in Odyssey. All the menus and stuff you have to do feels just like an overload in Odyssey. It's a typical level up game with it's own twist, and you spend just as much time if not more with crap like that in Odyssey. I like Odyssey a lot though, but compared to Red Dead 2, it's nothing special.

If you played the original it stays pretty true to that. Nothing's widely changed, it's just improved and expanded upon, and in such a great way. I'd highly recommended it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
I've heard the Horse testicles shrink in cold weather

I played and beat the first one and I didn't really think it was anything special, much as I was hoping it would be. So i'm very reluctant despite hearing how much more content the game has compared to the first.
I didn't know that. Omg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
I can already tell that this is going to be one of my favourite games (I loved the first one so much!) but this is such a busy time of my life and unfortunately I won't be able to play it until mid November.... I really wish I could play it now!
Yeah, it's instant favorite, just like the first one. Well, you're in for a treat once you get to it.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote