www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 06-11-07, 20:25   #21
ReeceMix
Explorer

Sucess !

Ive finally got a UV mapped image into TRviewer and I know understand how to UV map !

Ok now this is more of a question for T4Larson
( Ive included an image to explain what im talking about)

When I import my turtle into blender its already fully uvmapped, when I tried to export to trmsh it gave an error in the console.

I realised my mistake with the error and it wouldnt export because I hadnt unwrapped the image. ... Im guessing that TRmsh only supports the LSCM kind of uvmap, in its original uv form, some faces use the same area of the texture

Is there a way I can keep the original uvmap placement or do I have to re-uvmap it?

ReeceMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-07, 23:47   #22
T4Larson
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Here's an in game pic of Lara with the modified head. Only need to sort out the lighting.
Interesting If you haven't figured the lighting out, it's possibly because the mesh still has a vertex-color layer attached, you can remove that in the 'edit'-panel (F9, the 'mesh'-tab) to have the mesh exported suitable for external lighting.

Quote:
Blender's dxf export is no good for Strpix. Is there an import/export script for Blender that supports Strpix's version of dxf? TPascal explains the format in his Strpix readme.
I don't know if there's an extra dxf-exporter plugin available for blender, and I usually try to avoid the dxf format. The problem with dxf is, that the format specification defines a gazillion variants for object types, and while programs may recognize a number of them, they usually export only their own 'taste' of dxf - which often makes using it as an exchange format a problematic issue, which seems to be the case here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeceMix View Post
Sucess !
When I import my turtle into blender its already fully uvmapped, when I tried to export to trmsh it gave an error in the console.

I realised my mistake with the error and it wouldnt export because I hadnt unwrapped the image. ... Im guessing that TRmsh only supports the LSCM kind of uvmap, in its original uv form, some faces use the same area of the texture

Is there a way I can keep the original uvmap placement or do I have to re-uvmap it?
The kind of unwrapping technique used has nothing to do with it, and for efficiency you should reuse texture areas wherever possible.
Since the model is uvmapped already, you don't need to re-unwrap the mesh again, but it is hard to tell what the exact problem is:
Telling from the error message on the screenshot, the uv-tri which causes the problem seems to be valid, but it seems I cannot reproduce this here without the rest of the mesh/uv.
T4Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-07, 23:52   #23
ReeceMix
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4Larson View Post
but it is hard to tell what the exact problem is:
Telling from the error message on the screenshot, the uv-tri which causes the problem seems to be valid, but it seems I cannot reproduce this here without the rest of the mesh/uv.
May I send you the .blend file to see if you can tell what the problem is?
Old 07-11-07, 00:49   #24
T4Larson
Hobbyist

Quote:
May I send you the .blend file to see if you can tell what the problem is?
Yes please, that may help pinpointing the problem !
(See my email in the exporter doc, I'm not posting it here for spambot collection )
T4Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 11:14   #25
sapper
Archaeologist

Quote:
Blender's dxf export is no good for Strpix. Is there an import/export script for Blender that supports Strpix's version of dxf?
Quote:
Im not sure why you would want to, most people use Meta & Rhino for dxf export.
Even if we cannot get the UV textures into a wad this is a good method for creating custom objects of the right size. Just import an existing item (as a .trmsh) and use it as a reference, export the .dxf, import it into Strpix and texture or remap.

Would be good if you could import .trmvb into blender so you could have Lara as a reference.

Quote:
The problem with dxf is, that the format specification defines a gazillion variants for object types, and while programs may recognize a number of them, they usually export only their own 'taste' of dxf
Strpix requires .dxf in 3dface entity format and stores the texture info as a layer name. TPascal gives the rule for the name in his readme. I thought it might be handy to have the texture info from blender in the .dxf file for possible retexturing.

I've found that you can use 3dexploration 1.5 to save the blender .dxf file to a single layer .dxf file that Strpix can import.

Quote:
PixStr will alter the ingame lighting , what version of wadmerger have you used sapper?
I used version 1.97 beta 2 and when I opened the wad in Strpix I found that wadmerger had saved the textures as 1x1 pixels.

So I added the tiled image you get in blender by importing a .trmsh exported from Trviewer to the wad using Billy Champion's textureadd.

I then cut it up with textureadd and reassigned the textures. This got the textures into wadmerger but I wouldn't recommend this as way to retexture!

Screenshot of textureadd. Click on image for larger image.

Wadmerger screen.

Quote:
For now this blender works as a cutting tool , I need to be able to open in wadformat to remap laras joints .
If remapping is just re-numbering vertices maybe blender can do this?

Bearing in mind what Michiel said is it worth trying TRWEST?
edit: Tried it. Same result in wadmerger as this post.

Last edited by sapper; 10-11-07 at 00:38. Reason: clarify Strpix dxf format, add TRWEST result
sapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 11:41   #26
ReeceMix
Explorer

TR4Larson Fixed my export problem, he will be releasing an updated version sometime soon. This is excellent news as we can export fully uvmapped original objects from the 3DS created via '3D Ripper DX'
I will try to upload some images of my turtle (and eventually AOD/TRL & TRA lara) ingame this evening.

Quote:
If remapping is just re-numbering vertices maybe blender can do this?
Bearing in mind what Michiel said is it worth trying TRWEST?
I really dont know much about the technical side of dxf's, It would be great if blender could do this quicker than current methods.

For now I will start by using an untextured, remapped, dummy wad as michiel suggested and then import the exact same meshes with their uv mapping in Trviewer.

Quote:
Even if we cannot get the UV textures into a wad this is a good method for creating custom objects of the right size
I was just going to use a 3ds from rhino as a reference, rather than a dxf
EDIT: Doesnt work, (size difference below)
Quote:
I thought it might be handy to have the texture info from blender in the .dxf file for possible retexturing.
Im not sure about this one, I dont think the dxf could hold the uv text infos, as I think it only supports single face text infos, again I dont know much about dxf

Quote:
So I added the tiled image you get in blender by importing a .trmsh exported from Trviewer to the wad using Billy Champion's textureadd.
I dunno how to get that tiled image to appear in blender, and i'd never heard of Texture Add, I will check it out

Last edited by ReeceMix; 08-11-07 at 01:16.
Old 08-11-07, 00:09   #27
ReeceMix
Explorer

Ok I have a size import issue;
It May be due to the fact I now have a newer trmsh exporter and the older trmsh importer for blender, but maybe not so here goes

I Imported Laras Bunz mesh into my turtle scene and alligned both size and rotation exactly.

But when I exported my alligned shell in blender it imported like this;

Sapper how did you resize your imported head?

While were on the subject, I'd noticed before that 3ds exported from trviewer were much bigger than dxfs exported in strpix, so I exported a trmsh and put them together.

So when i saved the Strpix DXF into a 3DS so i could get it into Blender it became the same size as the original 3DS exported from Trviwer. So logically it seems that 3ds and dxf have some sort of size... preset.. thing.

I think the size difference upon import/export for my shell is most likely due to the different versions of import/export im using.

I tried it out ingame

This is me holding the look button that disables the lighting and then normally.
I tried changing the lighting in pixster but it didnt change anything ingame, im sure theres something out there that can alter the lighting, I will play around with it tommorow
Even thou its not perfect i still think its looks effing awsome

Last edited by ReeceMix; 08-11-07 at 00:27.
Old 08-11-07, 01:23   #28
sapper
Archaeologist

Quote:
Sapper how did you resize your imported head?
Quote:
edit: Got the scaling & orientation working. Wasn't doing the ctrl-A thing before exporting as per the script documentation!
Do this before exporting to 3ds or dxf too.

I also aligned the reference centre of my head object to that of Lara's head object.

Quote:
I Imported Laras Bunz mesh into my turtle scene and alligned both size and rotation exactly.
Note: Objects you don't import from Trviewer .trmsh and those you create yourself must be oriented differently for export than those imported from Trviewer .trmsh.

Quote:
If you haven't figured the lighting out, it's possibly because the mesh still has a vertex-color layer attached, you can remove that in the 'edit'-panel (F9, the 'mesh'-tab) to have the mesh exported suitable for external lighting.
I haven't worked on this yet but just want to add that when I imported my head into Trviewer it was black, so I increased the internal lighting in the Trviewer tab you get by pressing the spanner (i.e. toolbox panel).

edit: Okay, had to change the lighting in this tab to external!

Quote:
I dunno how to get that tiled image to appear in blender...

Import your .trmsh exported from Trviewer. Select your object. Select UV face select mode in the box where it says object mode. Change the # icon in the lower left to UV/image editor. See bottom left in picture above. Use image menu to save your image.

Quote:
Im not sure about this one, I dont think the dxf could hold the uv text infos, as I think it only supports single face text infos, again I dont know much about dxf
I thought if we had the faces linked to a texture (i.e. by using just the name of a layer) it would make it easier to put the jigsaw back together, i.e retexture. But it doesn't look like blender keeps each tile separate anywhere.

Quote:
TR4Larson Fixed my export problem, he will be releasing an updated version sometime soon. This is excellent news as we can export fully uvmapped original objects from the 3DS created via '3D Ripper DX'
What about vertex limits?? I've got 3d meshes ripped from Legend with graverobber.
Quote:
So when i saved the Strpix DXF into a 3DS so i could get it into Blender
Can import Strpix dxf direct into Blender! Don't know if texture info is retained.

Last edited by sapper; 08-11-07 at 09:37. Reason: update lighting info, add pic
sapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 10:56   #29
ReeceMix
Explorer

Thanks sapper

Quote:
What about vertex limits?? I've got 3d meshes ripped from Legend with graverobber.
I know that TREP allows much higher verticies ingame, but the max you can import into strpix without it messing up the object is around 900 (per mesh).
My shell has around 500. I tried to import the whole turtle as a single object and it was messed up so im guessing the limit is also around 900 for trviewer, and if we get our textured objects into strpix we cant go over that limit.
Old 08-11-07, 13:22   #30
ReeceMix
Explorer

Sweeeeeeet!

Ok now all I need to do is create an untextured TMNL dummy wad, connect all the verticles for the joints in strpix, create new animations, then when the TR4 file is done i can finally import/export my uv body parts. see ya next year