www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 25-08-18, 17:09   #13251
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

I have a good feeling because MGM is ramping up under new management but it’s really up to WB. I would have put TR in August release date, TR is a summer popcorn movie.

I think rationally putting a movie franchise that was never well received in its previous incarnation anywhere near a marvel or DC movie is crazy. I’d prefer WB to keep distributing TR as they won’t counterprogramme it with a DC movie if She moved to universal or paramount.

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 25-08-18 at 17:10.
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-18, 19:33   #13252
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanosCroft View Post
Ok guys here's the convo:

A: Do you know if GK films and Warner Bros wants to make a Tomb Raider sequel?

B: They do want to but they are having some resistance from bosses...

A: Did they consider it a succes? It flopped in US but did amazing overseas, what they think about this film? Are they willing to turn it into a franchise?

B: They see it as a "mixed opportunity". I think they want to turn it into a franchise but it depends on the reception of sequel first - they'd want it to do well globally.

That's all, not really much but it seems like it's up to the "bosses".
I'm not saying you need to trust him but he was right about almost everything about other stuff.
That's actually promising!

Hopefully they get more investors (maybe Vikander with thee production company and Legendary for better Chinese return) and maybe we can have a sequel
Old 25-08-18, 19:39   #13253
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

I think that a sequel is a risk and they need something to convince the bosses:

- A star that attracts more american viewers (either a villain or friend of Lara)
- That Shadow of TR is a great success
- A lower budget
- That Alicia Vikander becomes very famous in a short time as happened with Angelina Jolie (she in TR3 would have made a great box office, after TR 2 was very very famous)
- A sequel set in China and aimed at the chinese public

I do not know, I think the box office was just OK. So, if there is a sequel it will take a while and it will have to have some extra factor to give green light without risk

I also think that TR in August would have made a big box office. MEG is a horrible movie and look at their numbers!

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 25-08-18 at 19:44.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-18, 20:59   #13254
TrustyBow
Professor

^^^ Yeah I agree. I think they're confident in it and it did okay enough. They just need to ramp it up, next entry. Get a high profile actor/actress for the villain. Or give Lara another sidekick.

If Shadow does well, they can piggyback off its success.
TrustyBow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-18, 23:29   #13255
SoraSakai
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
I think that a sequel is a risk and they need something to convince the bosses:

- A star that attracts more american viewers (either a villain or friend of Lara)
- That Shadow of TR is a great success
- A lower budget
- That Alicia Vikander becomes very famous in a short time as happened with Angelina Jolie (she in TR3 would have made a great box office, after TR 2 was very very famous)
- A sequel set in China and aimed at the chinese public

I do not know, I think the box office was just OK. So, if there is a sequel it will take a while and it will have to have some extra factor to give green light without risk

I also think that TR in August would have made a big box office. MEG is a horrible movie and look at their numbers!
I wouldn't want a sequel aimed at the Chinese government (again, don't make the mistake of saying audience).

So if it's that or no sequel, I choose no sequel.
Old 26-08-18, 00:34   #13256
AimlessThunder
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
I wouldn't want a sequel aimed at the Chinese government (again, don't make the mistake of saying audience).
Yeah.
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-18, 07:34   #13257
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

I'm indifferent to it just because all of Hollywood is making these changes to their movies like Dr. Strange so if you have a problem with Tomb Raider doing it, you also have a problem with American blockbuster film making now in general and I don't see European Cinema or other film industries adapting Tomb Raider in the foreseeable future.

Also for clarity their making changes in story for the Chinese government TO APPROVE it to play to their citizens, not for government officials to have a fun movie night.
Old 26-08-18, 10:25   #13258
SoraSakai
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
I'm indifferent to it just because all of Hollywood is making these changes to their movies like Dr. Strange so if you have a problem with Tomb Raider doing it, you also have a problem with American blockbuster film making now in general and I don't see European Cinema or other film industries adapting Tomb Raider in the foreseeable future.

Also for clarity their making changes in story for the Chinese government TO APPROVE it to play to their citizens, not for government officials to have a fun movie night.
Yes. That is exactly what I meant.

And yes I have a problem with all of that. Why would any sane person not have a problem with it...?

"Movies shouldn't appeal to a dictating government that decides what it's civilians can and can't watch."
"WELL HURR DURR I DONT MIND. I LIKE WHEN THIS MEANS CREATIVITY IS COMPLETELY DEVORCED FROM AN IP THAT I CARE ABOUT HURR DI HURR HURR."
Old 26-08-18, 11:00   #13259
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

In fairness I feel like if the Chinese government want a sequel to show in their country which they most likely will given the strong performance of the first then it will reserve the right to censor it as appropriate for its audience meaning they could do an alternative cut for that country like they do on some of their other films.
Old 26-08-18, 11:06   #13260
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Yes. That is exactly what I meant.

And yes I have a problem with all of that. Why would any sane person not have a problem with it...?

"Movies shouldn't appeal to a dictating government that decides what it's civilians can and can't watch."
"WELL HURR DURR I DONT MIND. I LIKE WHEN THIS MEANS CREATIVITY IS COMPLETELY DEVORCED FROM AN IP THAT I CARE ABOUT HURR DI HURR HURR."
I’m not saying I don’t care but it’s hilarious that you think the Chinese government are the only ones giving notes on whats allowed in the film. The suits in Hollywood have given much worse studio notes to any number of films.

I’d care if we lived in a Hollywood where MGM and WB didn’t give a single studio note to a director on how to make their movie more commercial and palatable for the American audience so if the Chinese government do the same, so be it.