www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider 25

Old 17-10-21, 18:51   #211
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr online View Post
The other one is called Hunter.
It's a shame we've never been properly introduced to Hunter. At least I don't recall that being so.
Old 17-10-21, 19:02   #212
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
Sam should’ve died and been possessed by Himiko, and Himiko-Sam should’ve been the final boss.

Not only would it have been pleasurable to kill the most hated character in TR history (sans Alister), it would’ve made Himiko a more substantial villain. As it stands now, she’s the least developed and most boring villain in the series (and trust me, it’s hard to top Bartoli) and is almost a non-entity. The fact that her single “No One Leaves” line is completely obscured and blends in with the messy sound design really doesn’t help.

The concept art of a Himiko boss also looked pretty cool. Once again, the Reboot has nothing but missed opportunities.
Himiko is very well developed in the documents. But even if she wasn't developed anywhere, it doesn't matter: she isn't the main villain of the story, Mathias is. He was the character that should have been much better developed during cutscenes, and should have had a more satisfying send off.

Himiko is more of "force of nature", this thing that entraps all characters, and how they react and deal with that force is what separates the heroes from the villains. The only thing that needs explanation is how that force works and how it can be stopped, which the game does properly even outside of the documents.
Old 17-10-21, 19:36   #213
MissJodieG
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
It's a shame we've never been properly introduced to Hunter. At least I don't recall that being so.
I didn't even know that there was another CM besides Meagan and Neha.
Old 17-10-21, 19:41   #214
.snake.
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Himiko is very well developed in the documents. But even if she wasn't developed anywhere, it doesn't matter: she isn't the main villain of the story, Mathias is. He was the character that should have been much better developed during cutscenes, and should have had a more satisfying send off.

Himiko is more of "force of nature", this thing that entraps all characters, and how they react and deal with that force is what separates the heroes from the villains. The only thing that needs explanation is how that force works and how it can be stopped, which the game does properly even outside of the documents.
Yeah, I get your point, and agree with you about Himiko to an extent. And I agree with you about Mathias being underdeveloped - except that I could make the same argument that he is developed quite well in the side documents, as much as Himiko is.

However, I still think she should've been the final boss, aside from the one single Oni we fight. Sam should've been possessed by her, transforming into Himiko, who then has to be killed by Lara. Destroying Himiko with the torch was at least symbolic, as was killing Mathias with the duals.

I also think Lara should've been the only one to leave Yamatai alive. The entire supporting cast was a waste of space (for the most part). But I know most seem to like these sorts of "united-colors-of-benetton-ads" storylines with a gaggle of friends skipping off into the sunset. And yet, everyone wonders why games 20 years ago felt better than they do today.
.snake. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-21, 19:43   #215
Mikky
Legend

Anyone else remember the sock guy? The CM between Keir and Meagan that last about 5 seconds. I just remember he was related to socks somehow, like his username or something like that
Mikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-21, 21:33   #216
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Sam should’ve died and been possessed by Himiko, and Himiko-Sam should’ve been the final boss.

Not only would it have been pleasurable to kill the most hated character in TR history (sans Alister), it would’ve made Himiko a more substantial villain. As it stands now, she’s the least developed and most boring villain in the series (and trust me, it’s hard to top Bartoli) and is almost a non-entity. The fact that her single “No One Leaves” line is completely obscured and blends in with the messy sound design really doesn’t help.

The concept art of a Himiko boss also looked pretty cool. Once again, the Reboot has nothing but missed opportunities.
Himiko was never considered as a final boss, even in the concept arts, it's only the room who's freezing under ice.

Sam is the most hated character because she didn't have the chance to have a second try in Rise because of this mentality...

I think she's not that bad at all she have her moments in the comics, wich use the possession by Himiko but not in the scope I would have loved.

Himiko is interesting because she's not your traditional villain, it's like a force of nature. Also there's more weak villains in TR history than Himiko honestly Bartoli, Willard, the russian mafia dude in TR5, Karel (yes it's a twist villain) and Rutland.
Old 18-10-21, 06:45   #217
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

This month has indeed been very dry. I suspect the same will happen during Rises month as there isn't much to really show from it as well as Shadows.

It seems TR25 really ended with Ascension content we got in the beginning of the month.
Old 18-10-21, 07:37   #218
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
This month has indeed been very dry. I suspect the same will happen during Rises month as there isn't much to really show from it as well as Shadows.

It seems TR25 really ended with Ascension content we got in the beginning of the month.
I think it's because Meagan is busy with all the content she has to upload everything by herself.
Old 18-10-21, 07:54   #219
.snake.
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Himiko was never considered as a final boss, even in the concept arts, it's only the room who's freezing under ice.

Sam is the most hated character because she didn't have the chance to have a second try in Rise because of this mentality...

I think she's not that bad at all she have her moments in the comics, wich use the possession by Himiko but not in the scope I would have loved.

Himiko is interesting because she's not your traditional villain, it's like a force of nature. Also there's more weak villains in TR history than Himiko honestly Bartoli, Willard, the russian mafia dude in TR5, Karel (yes it's a twist villain) and Rutland.
Yeah okay, I get your point.

This makes me think of Himiko being similar to Seth in TR4 actually. In both games, Mathias and Von Croy are actually the better established and developed character villains, and Himiko and Seth are more like the all-encompassing shadowy presences in the background (Himiko causing unstoppable storms; Seth bringing plagues, raising demons, and start the apocalypse). Both Seth and Himiko could be considered "forces of nature" as both you Ellioft and PortugalRaider so aptly put it. The difference however is, we still have a bit of a face-off with Seth (however unsatisfying) but not with Himiko (even more unsatisfying). But in that regard, since I love Seth and TR4, it's only fair for me to admit that Himiko in TR2013 is a decent villain, even if the pay-off at the end left me wanting more.

Plus, I really just disliked Sam and would've liked to have seen her die It would've been a more powerful ending of breaking the storms, and Lara returning down the mountain alone to Reyes and Jonah - rather than Lara becoming the archetypical male hero who rescues and carries the damsel-in-distress (Sam) down the mountain, while she's wearing a white wedding dress... *cringe*

All of it just reeks of Rhianna Pratchett trying to feed more of her lesbianism into the story, which is dull, boring, and shouldn't be a factor for Lara. (And before the forums LGBTQ-Karens come after me: I don't think heterosexualism should be a factor for Lara either)

Last edited by .snake.; 18-10-21 at 07:55.
.snake. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-21, 10:04   #220
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:

Plus, I really just disliked Sam and would've liked to have seen her die It would've been a more powerful ending of breaking the storms, and Lara returning down the mountain alone to Reyes and Jonah - rather than Lara becoming the archetypical male hero who rescues and carries the damsel-in-distress (Sam) down the mountain, while she's wearing a white wedding dress... *cringe*

All of it just reeks of Rhianna Pratchett trying to feed more of her lesbianism into the story, which is dull, boring, and shouldn't be a factor for Lara. (And before the forums LGBTQ-Karens come after me: I don't think heterosexualism should be a factor for Lara either)
I do think the damsel in distress reverse trope was interesting.

I don't think there will be a sense in the story If Sam's die at the end because Lara's need to leave the place with a sense of accomplishment to want to know more about what she saw on the island.

If she kills Sam then Lara's will be too destroyed mentally speaking to want to go adventure again. She would have lost everything.